Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2007, 15:43   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
When do you think the Punto will be coming?
Busa, looking at the way Fiat functions and seeing their past records, I am guessing the Grande Punto will be out only by the last quarter of 2008.

Quote:
I thought they would bring in the Grande Punto... (why do we get older models only???
CD, they are bringing in the Grande Punto.
Old 6th February 2007, 15:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

Well i was thinking to wait for the Grande Punto before plunging for the Swift but doesnot seem worth the wait.
Old 6th February 2007, 19:29   #123
Senior - BHPian

Guys looking at FIAT I think following would be the timelines:

1. Palio 1.1 L : Second quarter (Apr-Jun) 2007
2: Grande Punto : Second quarter 2008
3. Linea : First quarter 2009

Shifting base to Ranjongaon has been done recently.. Well still dealers are not sure when they will get new Palio, forget us.

In simple words: FIAT India Management is hopeless about marketing their cars and new launches. I love Palio and I own 1.2.

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport
Old 8th February 2007, 10:21   #124
BHPian

The new Palio is expected only after 2 months. My FIL wanted to buy one so checked with my service advisor at BU Bhandari, Pune who gave me this info.

Fiat is lethargic man. I don't see any future for them.
Old 8th February 2007, 14:10   #125
Senior - BHPian

Did you guys notice that the first post in this thread was made on February 23, 2006!. Almost a year back GTO spotted the face lifted Palio in Mumbai and we are still waiting for the company to launch a FACE LIFTED variant.

so whats delaying the new Palio? According to me:

1. Mid-way through the year they decided to change the engine from a 1.2L to a 1.1L for excise benefits and probably to make way for the Grande Punto by pushing Palio a segment lower. Still the suspension, body shell were the same so that means all they had to test was the driveablity, refinement and most importantly FE of the new engine.

2. Then they realised that the car was grossly over weight for the 1.1L so they put it on a strict diet. ACI reported the weight of the car to be in the 9xx, down from 1020kgs for the 1.2.

3. Then they had to shift to Ranjangaon. But ACI has been reporting for months that trial production is already on. I am guessing thats taking time since they will be making Fiat and Tata cars there.

Those according to me are reasons why the new Palio is taking time. Are you guys also sensing how feeble the reasons given by me are?!

All said and done, if they are able to improve the quality of the interiors then it will be good. The new interiors are so damn fantastic.

Last edited by amit : 8th February 2007 at 14:12.
Old 8th February 2007, 14:31   #126
BHPian

this is what the fiat India team responded, when I inquired about the launch

"Dear Sir or Madam:

Fiat is planning to launch new cars for the Indian market in the near future. However, like all car manufacturers Fiat would not reveal the details such as specifications, price, features, launch date, etc to the market well in advance. Please bear with us.

Regards,

Helpdesk"
Old 8th February 2007, 15:20   #127
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Amit, I was thinking exactly the same thing. A year up and no launch yet. Fiat is just too darn slow in a time when Maruti pulls the Estilo out of its hat before anyone has even finished their farewells to the old Zen.

P.S.: Credit for pics goes to Dippy.
Old 8th February 2007, 19:40   #128
Senior - BHPian

the rear of the present i liked much..this new-look might be not so attractive.anyway the JTD should work wonders with the already wonderful chassis.
Old 8th February 2007, 22:09   #129
BHPian

fiat makes great cars. so i would like to presume that they want to be thorough with their product, and would not like to rush launching cars, to be one-up on competition.
Old 8th February 2007, 22:42   #130
BHPian

As for the looks of the new Palio, I particularly like the front end of the pics posted an year back by GTO to the new upgrade i.e., year 2007 model. The back end looks best in the current Indian Palio as compared to these other two models. Interiors should definitely be upgraded, if not for dashboard, atleast the door pads, seats and stuff. Anyway, its hightime they launched this car.
Old 9th February 2007, 00:18   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
fiat makes great cars. so i would like to presume that they want to be thorough with their product, and would not like to rush launching cars, to be one-up on competition.
Minardi, you have made the right assessment!
Fiat always ensures that the Car it launches is PERFECT in all aspects! unlike other Indian Car Makers who are desperate to launch half-baked new Cars just to be one up in the competition! And the buyers of the initial lot (read guinea pigs) frequenting the Service Centers to resolve all the umpteen issues!
Old 9th February 2007, 16:14   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Minardi, you have made the right assessment!
Fiat always ensures that the Car it launches is PERFECT in all aspects! unlike other Indian Car Makers who are desperate to launch half-baked new Cars just to be one up in the competition! And the buyers of the initial lot (read guinea pigs) frequenting the Service Centers to resolve all the umpteen issues!
But what was the outcome of these perfections?

They should be fast enough to compete here. They are missing the bus.

I almost decided for Petra but eventually landed up buying Baleno

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 9th February 2007 at 16:16.
Old 15th February 2007, 17:00   #133
Senior - BHPian

Revamped Palio drives out of Ranjangaon

guys, looks like the face lifted Palio is now weeks away from dealerships. The first reveamped Palio rolled out of Ranjangaon on Feb 13 in the presence of Fiat group chairman who is on a visit to our country. He says Fiat will be a strong player in about 3 years. Next year, Fiat-Tata plan to launch the Grande Punto and Linea.

Full Story: Hindustan Times.

EDIT: Since none of us trust the Italians, I found a interview given by Ratan Tata to Forbes where he mentioned that the Grande Punto production will start in Ranjangaon in mid-2008.

Quote:
Tata also said that production of Fiat's Grande Punto vehicle at their joint production plant in India will start at mid-2008 and with engines starting 'six months earlier'. That plant, he said, will also produce Fiat's Linea model and Tata's Indica.
full interview: Forbes.com

Last edited by amit : 15th February 2007 at 17:15.
Old 15th February 2007, 22:01   #134
Senior - BHPian

Any one got a chance to click the Pictures of the new Fiat Palio Launched yesterday?
Old 15th February 2007, 22:12   #135
BHPian

any idea how far is the new petra and new adventure?

Most Viewed