Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2007, 11:22   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
ACI has reported many times that Ranjangaon plant will start manufacturing multi-jets from 2008. I think even Ratan Tata has confirmed that new diesel's and petrol's will be manufactured at Fiat's plant from early next year. If thats true, then we wouldn't see the multi-jet Palio till 2008 unless Fiat buys the engine from MUL till then. IMO what Fiat needs to do is hurry up with the Grande Punto and Linea launch.

I dont know if i am totally wrong here but i believe, Ford, GM and Honda among others import engine kits and assemble them in India. Even Maruti Baleno 1.6 engine i thought was imported in CKD format to india

Fiat Can also import the engine kits and assemble them here. And for a premium of 15K over manufactured in India kits i think they still can price it a good point.
Old 20th March 2007, 11:38   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ACI has reported many times that Ranjangaon plant will start manufacturing multi-jets from 2008. I think even Ratan Tata has confirmed that new diesel's and petrol's will be manufactured at Fiat's plant from early next year. If thats true, then we wouldn't see the multi-jet Palio till 2008 unless Fiat buys the engine from MUL till then. IMO what Fiat needs to do is hurry up with the Grande Punto and Linea launch.
Seeing Fiat's way of doing business I feel they would launch the 1.3 Multijet Palio's after Maruti mints money by selling Swift Diesels, GM would end up ceasing production of U-VA with Multijets and even Tata would have finished selling Indica, Indigo 1.3 Multijets. Fiat will then rise to launching the Palio 1.3 with multijet and try marketing it!
Old 20th March 2007, 11:59   #288
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics there.

I do not like the new one and I feel my present Palio looks better than this one. To me, the new Palio already looks outdated now. I believe they should have concentrated more on sprucing up the interiors and should have included Mk 4 exteriors. What if they think the die for new interiors is costly? They should have tried doing something better than what it is now. To me, it is a disappointment and a half hearted approach by Fiat India.

Not including the 1.3 JTD in the specs is another big mistake by them. They just can not wait till January to launch their diesel engine. It certainly will be too late by then. If it is too difficult to launch 1.3 JTD now, they should atleast improve the present 1.9 by adding a turbo and an inter cooler. Somehow, I am not too optimistic about their effort. It is not that they do not have the technology. Getting 105 horses out of their 1.3 JTD is no joke, but if they do not consider India seriously, I sure will be looking ahead to buy from another manufacturer in future.
Old 20th March 2007, 12:03   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
MF, the pics are of two cars- one white, one dark. Any difference between the two?
Both were 1.1 petrol engines. There was a third car too and it wasn't in line to these hence I did not snap it. Looked similar to the white and had black bumpers. Differences included what we see in the interiors. Didn't really have the time to take a detailed look.
Old 20th March 2007, 12:08   #290
Team-BHP Support

I was looking forward to the new Palio. however, it seems Fiat insist on missing the boat everytime. Same dull interiors with those terrible door pads. No 1.3 diesel when Maruti is selling their engine with the Swift! Is it any wonder why Fiat are where they are in the Indian market!
Old 20th March 2007, 14:22   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Both were 1.1 petrol engines.
The consoles on the two cars were of different colors, hence the question.
Old 20th March 2007, 14:38   #292
BHPian

Quote:
The whole world knows by now that the car is the new Palio
Very sorry to dent your sentiments but I guess you are too involved with FIATs. "Whole world" does not eat drink and sleep FIATs and hence FIAT tried to hide I guess.
Sorry again.
Old 20th March 2007, 14:46   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Both were 1.1 petrol engines.
How did you come to know about that? Any badgings?
Old 20th March 2007, 15:27   #294
Team-BHP Support

Sids, the boot lid glass has a number on one of the pictures. And it indicated 1.1 Petrol.
Old 20th March 2007, 16:58   #295
Senior - BHPian

hi all

i called prerana just now. a person there told me palio 1.1 & 1.6 sport will be available by 20th april in bangalore (though my guess is that it could be earlier as well). that aside he also told me that now they have fiat only exclusive service sections in the stations, and they do about 15 cars a day.

what they do is a mystery for me
Old 20th March 2007, 17:04   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Very sorry to dent your sentiments but I guess you are too involved with FIATs. "Whole world" does not eat drink and sleep FIATs and hence FIAT tried to hide I guess.
Sorry again.
Aha. I don't think you got Amit's sentiments.
Old 20th March 2007, 17:24   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing Fiat's way of doing business I feel they would launch the 1.3 Multijet Palio's after Maruti mints money by selling Swift Diesels, GM would end up ceasing production of U-VA with Multijets and even Tata would have finished selling Indica, Indigo 1.3 Multijets. Fiat will then rise to launching the Palio 1.3 with multijet and try marketing it!
It's rather ironic. Fiat were the first ones to introduce 1.6 in hatches. The DOHC engines in sedans (Sienna) were among the first ones in India. They were the first and only ones to offer ABS/Air-Bags.

In fact, they introduced cars which were ahead of their time in not-so-mature Indian car market.
Old 20th March 2007, 18:46   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Aha. I don't think you got Amit's sentiments.
You did not get mine .
Old 20th March 2007, 20:04   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
You did not get mine .
Oh I did. I did. (Tweety style)
Old 20th March 2007, 20:12   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
It's rather ironic. Fiat were the first ones to introduce 1.6 in hatches. The DOHC engines in sedans (Sienna) were among the first ones in India. They were the first and only ones to offer ABS/Air-Bags.

In fact, they introduced cars which were ahead of their time in not-so-mature Indian car market.
I agree RX, but did they do it in the right ways to sell? They got a life with the Palio after Uno sales started falling. Were they able to handle it?

Most Viewed