Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 20:54   #196
BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Hehe ,had you really taken a closer look ,you would have been tired counting the dents (thanks to people who were driving it when me was in the UK ..havent repaired it as the wifey will be adding a few more to these :X)

I apologize I didnt notice you :( Was in a hurry as had some urgent stuff to do at home .

The car hasnt completed 2 L ,but is on its way to do that in sometime .

And yeah ,lets meet up sometime .

On the session ,will share this funny incident on the NICE road.We had just completed the 1st and 2nd topics where the instructor had advised on not exceeding 50 kph in the 5th gear and also maintain revvs between 1500 to 2500 rpms .

On reaching the NICE road,we have this Bhpian ( forgot his name ...the instructor named him Ramanujam for his quick maths ) who jumps into the Fiesta and does 50 kph in the 2nd gear .The instructor just nods his head.
I agree, we can't do anything about the dents. Even if you repair them, some idiot will find a new way to bang the car, so no point repairing it.

Yeah, there were some guys in our batch too who were high revving, made me wonder if these guys will ever follow the 1.5K to 2.5K rpm rule!
Old 20th September 2011, 09:16   #197
BHPian

Re: For Bangalore BHPians : Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" session on Sunday, 18th

Black Palio MJD is mine! Thanx for the PICs Anil.

- I never knew that the car will keep on running after you take the feet off the pedals. I thought it would stall. Have to try this.

- Instructor said turning-off and on the ignition doesn't affect the LIFE of the STARTER motor.

- The noise created by ONE CAR running at 4000 rpm is equal to the noise created by 32 CARS running at 2000 rpm. So, don't rev when it's not required. Reduce noise pollution.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 20th September 2011 at 09:21.
Old 20th September 2011, 09:44   #198
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

Man, I was really impressed with the 2nd practicals that happened.

I was always on the opinion that by using no ABC, the car will stall, jerk and stop after few meters.

But to my surprise, I was able to drive in 2nd gear through the whole parking lot (more than 400-500m) with turns, 2 speed breakers and still the car did not stop at all.

Luckily no gentlemen was behind, so, no one to honk me down

EDIT:
Guys, excuse me. Why is this thread not rated? Seriously this has wealth of know-hows very essential for the every drivers in here. So, should we not vote for this!!!

And not just that, its the gesture to appreciate or "thankyou-guys-message" for the initiative taken from T-BHP & Ford.

Last edited by mjothi : 20th September 2011 at 09:56.
Old 20th September 2011, 09:51   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

I was always on the opinion that by using no ABC, the car will stall, jerk and stop after few meters.

But to my surprise, I was able to drive in 2nd gear through the whole parking lot (more than 400-500m) with turns, 2 speed breakers and still the car did not stop at all.

Luckily no gentlemen was behind, so, no one to honk me down
Yeah!! And not only that, these days the cars' ECU are designed to maintain the car at idle irrespective of the gear. So in petrols the car can easily just putter along on small inclines without any input at all. This can be used in various ways. In congested traffic, 2nd gear idle is more than enough to keep moving with the traffic. On the highway, the over-drive gear (5th or 6th) will putter along at around 50 - 60. Just maintaining a bit of acceleration can keep us up with the speed limit with minimum fuel consumption!!
Of course in diesels it is even easier because they'll chug along in fairly steep incline using their characteristic high torque.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:11   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

PS: if it isn't too much trouble, could the BHPians identify their rides for the sake of other BHPians? this would be beneficial when people spot each other going forward.

i'll start - the black Getz next to figo_united's red Figo and that maroon Verna is my ride.
Here is my ride the grey Dzire, thanks Anil for the click!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-_mg_2003.jpg

Also, I was the one who read your rocket but never knew that you were IronH4WK, One of the Bhpian told that you attended the morning session. I recently joined team-bhp and this was my first meet, however due to some urgent work I couldn't interact with many there and had to leave immediately after the session.

This session was really helpful. I normally use neutral gear just before signals or toll booth. Now I have started avoiding this. Also, lot of other tips were helpful.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:47   #201
BHPian

I never knew either that the car will just keep rolling in gear. I always roll in neutral just before stopping at signals and using only the car's momentum to roll to a stop and applying just enough brakes to actually stop the car in time and maintain distance from the car/bike in front. This was my biggest take-away from the session. I was glad that I actually practice all the other tips that were presented without knowing that I was doing it. Now I know why I get 18 kmpl in my M800 in 100% Bangalore city driving.

Prajwal
Old 20th September 2011, 10:58   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Idle is usually 800rpm .but cold start idle is around 1000-1200 rpm ,which then comes down to 800 rpm once the engine warms up.

I think you were able to drive in 2nd without your feet on the A pedal is because the rpms were higher (because of the cold engine ).

You might still be able to drive around in 2nd gear with idle rpms ,but a slight incline and you will stall .

But i have serious doubts on being able to drive at 50-60 kph in the top gear without your feet on the accelerator and the engine at around 800rpm.Yes,the momentum of the vehicle might allow you to keep rolling for some distance .

This might be possible in carb vehicles where you manually have a slightly higher idling rpm .

Experts might be able to throw more light on this
Old 20th September 2011, 11:12   #203
BHPian

Quote:
I think you were able to drive in 2nd without your feet on the A pedal is because the rpms were higher (because of the cold engine ).

You might still be able to drive around in 2nd gear with idle rpms ,but a slight incline and you will stall .
As I said in my earlier post, I tried this in 2nd gear with a warm engine while approaching home. There was upward slope as well as flat surface and car pulled up till I reach home, this was for almost a 1 kilometer. I tried this @ 11pm, when there was no traffic.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:29   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Idle is usually 800rpm .but cold start idle is around 1000-1200 rpm ,which then comes down to 800 rpm once the engine warms up.

No it was 10KM after my home. So, should be warm engine. But the momentum on 2nd gear was more than enough to keep it rolling.

Anyway, I do use this technique many times on approaching signals and in traffic. But only difference was, I had in mind that "the car may stop, and be careful!!!"

Now relieved.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:40   #205
BHPian

Can't belive my luck (or the lack of it). After getting a confirmation, I was all kicked to attend the session. Ending up driving till Metro Ford on 11th itself! But when the day arrived, missed it due to sever cold. I could have braved the head ache but didnt want to infect other Bhpians!
Old 20th September 2011, 11:44   #206
BHPian

Got Brakes is my Whitefeather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
since many folks have already narrated what was covered in the class, i'll just put up the pictures! enjoy!

part 1:

ze rides:
Here is my feedback.

1. Overall session was good, useful & informative.
2. Could hardly hear the presenter. He was good but audio and acoustic of the venue was bad. Request Ford to look into it.
3. The font / display of the ppt was too small. Inreace the font or TV size
4. Practical was good but to and fro to NICE road was waste of time. Can be planned better. Have the session in a venue where one need not travel. Just a hint - HAL airport. I am not sure if it allowed. Request Ford to look into it.

Also we had to write our name, ph no, e-mail id & car reg no 3 times to 3 different people during the session. Why?

I feel this kind of session is must for all the road users. Specially auto/cab/bus/truck drivers and pedestrians. And it is a must before issuing driving licence. Most Driving Schools teaches technical driving but to make our roads safer we need to sensitize our citizens. By this I mean - right of way, respect other road users, keep your cool etc

Good part is I do follow most of the points mentioned - thanks to my uncle / dad who taught me driving in an Ambassador.

Also this was my 1st time real life meeting with t-bhp members. I was expecting a friendly hi - hello but most of the folks kept to themselves or in small " I already know you" groups. Just my opinion. I know its not a formal GTG.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2011 at 13:09. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 20th September 2011, 18:08   #207
BHPian

Quote:
But i have serious doubts on being able to drive at 50-60 kph in the top gear without your feet on the accelerator and the engine at around 800rpm.Yes,the momentum of the vehicle might allow you to keep rolling for some distance .
I'm pretty sure of this. The Chevy Cruze putters along at around 50-55 in 5th (topgear) without any problems. You can keep on going!!
Old 20th September 2011, 18:30   #208
MK3
BHPian

mac187, i did the same thing, visited metro ford on 11th. There were no preparations, i thought i was early and about to walk towards sofa to wait. But, i saw the service manager and enquired him about the 'Driving skills for life' program, got the response, 'Sir, you are early, early by a week'. Boy, what a stupidity, i must have clicked my face then and there for future reference :bang.

But, i did attend the morning session as planned on 18th. Being a newbie and a little shy, i didn't disturb many fellow bhpians, but managed to share a few laughs with some... Santhosh, Suneet, Pratap, Rakesh, Sudhir. After back from the meeting, all i would like is another such meeting of bhpians, soon if not sooner!

On the way back, i was offered lift by a friend. Sorry friend, i forgot your handle, could you identify yourself? Nice Unicorn you got there!

A big thanks to team-bhp and ford for this program. My take away are
1. 3 second rule
2. don't accelerate un-necessarily
3. The driving triangle ->" safety - economy - environmental friendly driving"

The guy with blue t-shirt and alternate yellow and light blue lines, sitting far back, yea, thats me!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-dsc_2652.jpg
Old 20th September 2011, 18:35   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@MJ, I think this will definitely happen in the older vehicles (no ECU/ECM). More so on petrols.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:32   #210
BHPian

Re: For Bangalore BHPians : Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" session on Sunday, 18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post

Were certificates handed out? I think the 1st batch didnt get any, or did I miss out?

Mods, anyway we could receive our certificates now?
Just got a call from metro ford asking for my address. She said they'll courier the certificate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks