Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 14:22   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
There hasnt been much diff from what I used to get earlier
Hehe maybe you were an efficient driver before the program too

I had been on a major FE drive since i filled up last. Things had gotten so bad that i was barely getting an FE of 9 kmpl BUT i am happy to report that today when i refilled the tank, the calculated FE came to 11
Not bad from an 11 year old petrol car with 1.34 lakh on the odo and due for a service, eh?
Old 29th September 2011, 23:59   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hehe maybe you were an efficient driver before the program too

I had been on a major FE drive since i filled up last. Things had gotten so bad that i was barely getting an FE of 9 kmpl BUT i am happy to report that today when i refilled the tank, the calculated FE came to 11
Not bad from an 11 year old petrol car with 1.34 lakh on the odo and due for a service, eh?
Thats a good jump in your FE, its around 20% increase. I will get my figures in another 3 or 4 days. Since my last full tank I am kind of doing buddha driving. Not expecting for a drastic jump though.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:16   #243
Senior - BHPian

Re: For Bangalore BHPians : Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" session on Sunday, 18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere
Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tip-no.8.jpg
In the above Tip, it is given that--
1)If expecting to stop and idle for more than 20 seconds, it is economical to switch off a warm engine.
Can a Turbocharged Engine be shut off in this case?

2) Note: Switching on/off the engine does not damage the starter switch or decrease its life.
What about the starter motor and battery?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 2nd October 2011 at 22:17.
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:44   #244
Senior - BHPian

Re: For Bangalore BHPians : Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" session on Sunday, 18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
2) Note: Switching on/off the engine does not damage the starter switch or decrease its life.
What about the starter motor and battery?
Seriously, most guys in there were seeing each others face when he mentioned it.

And you know what? I drive a car [automatic one] here in Milan now, and it switches off automatically when I brake and stop for few seconds and more.

And the moment I take my legs from brake, it comes back to life.

If it had been a Indian car, sure, we would be starting the blame game.

But, this fellow is Audi A1, and so, it has to be a feature implemented after making sure it do not affect the starter motor and battery? Right?
Old 3rd October 2011, 07:07   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
And you know what? I drive a car [automatic one] here in Milan now, and it switches off automatically when I brake and stop for few seconds and more.

But, this fellow is Audi A1, and so, it has to be a feature implemented after making sure it do not affect the starter motor and battery? Right?
Isn’t the start-stop technology already available in some cars sold in India – for e.g.; The new VW Passat?
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:10   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Isn’t the start-stop technology already available in some cars sold in India – for e.g.; The new VW Passat?
Also the Micro-Hybrid Variants of M&M Shut-off the Engine if the Transmission is in Neutral and Clutch Disengaged for 10seconds. And those vehicles are Turbocharged too.

May be OT..
Can anyone please tell me whether the Turbo of M&M vehicles is Water-Cooled or Oil-Cooled

EDIT:-
If Oil-Cooled, the Oil supply will cut-off after 10secs and that will fry the Turbo. How does the Turbo gets cooled in this case?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 3rd October 2011 at 09:12.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:23   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, most guys in there were seeing each others face when he mentioned it.

FYR Mahindra also come up with similar feature.. in XUV 500.
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:34   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
FYR Mahindra also come up with similar feature.. in XUV 500.
Guys, that was a suppose to be a on-a-lighter-notes comments. Anyway, yes, it is increasingly followed by many manufactures now. Which invariably means one thing.

There is no harm for the Battery & Starter motor. That was what I want to highlight.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:53   #249
Senior - BHPian

i was watching Final Destination 2 the day before and there is a scene where there is this gruesome pile-up on the freeway and in that one of the driver's (mother and a son in a car; mother driving) brake is stuck because a bottle of water rolls under it. she is unable to stop the car and eventually rams in a truck (i think).
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:58   #250
Senior - BHPian

That was a gruesome scene, i remember.

Hehe the other day i was driving to work and stopped at the intersection of Bannerghatta road and ORR. Since i was second in line, i shut down the engine. Someone in a red punto i think, stopped behind me, with his nose sniffing my car's rear. Anyway, so when the light turned green, i cranked the engine and it made a grrrrrr kinda noise but didn't start. It does that some times, but never when i take it to a mechanic. Usually, the car starts after keeping the ignition on for a bit longer period of time. And this time, it was close to 30 seconds. Just when the punto managed to reverse and create enough space to change lanes, my car started
I gestured to apologize and moved on, crossing the intersection just in time!!
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:55   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
The PR liaison Ms.Karishma told me that Genisis is handling PR for Ford, Bosch and Volvo, that is the reason we got calls from their call centre. The next stop for them seems to be Delhi.
Guys, any idea when is the session in Delhi?
Old 13th October 2011, 20:08   #252
BANNED

This program is happening on 15th october in chennai,is any team bhpian attending this event?
Old 14th October 2011, 00:24   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
This program is happening on 15th october in chennai,is any team bhpian attending this event?
I will be out of city on 15th. would have attended otherwise.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:47   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, that was a suppose to be a on-a-lighter-notes comments. Anyway, yes, it is increasingly followed by many manufactures now. Which invariably means one thing.

There is no harm for the Battery & Starter motor. That was what I want to highlight.
The XUV 500 Definitive Review posted by Manson says that the vehicle is equipped with a Start/Stop Feature which when turned ON, switches Off the Engine if the car is in Neutral for 2.5 Secs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
The XUV5OO is equipped with a start/stop function that will kick in only when the gear-lever is resting in neutral position for 2.5 seconds. The automatic start/stop feature aims to maximise fuel efficiency by switching the engine off during long periods of idle.
This would require Sturdy Starter Motor and Battery.
What will happen with the Turbo, I wonder?
Old 4th March 2012, 19:02   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The XUV 500 Definitive Review posted by Manson says that the vehicle is equipped with a Start/Stop Feature which when turned ON, switches Off the Engine if the car is in Neutral for 2.5 Secs.

This would require Sturdy Starter Motor and Battery.
What will happen with the Turbo, I wonder?
I don't know what M&M do, but I remember reading about 15 or so years ago, in a car magazine in South Africa about some technology for protecting turbo engines. It worked like this. You could switch off the engine but it kept the relevant parts running for 30 seconds or one minute so that the turbo was kept running during the requisite cool down period. Am not exactly sure how it worked, but I do remember it was not very expensive. I guess what modern manufacturers do is something similar. The coolant pump for the turbo may be running off the battery, similar to the cooling fan for the radiator and engine.

Edit: If I remember correctly it may have been something along the lines of you switching off the car and locking up, and the engine staying on for another 30 seconds or whatever and then shutting off. If that is the case, it would not work with the auto stop, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by pganapathy : 4th March 2012 at 19:05. Reason: Additional information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks