Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 10:38   #166
BHPian

Re: For Bangalore BHPians : Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" session on Sunday, 18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
certificates being handed out
Thanks for the pics Anil, as always nothing escapes your h4wkeyes!!

Were certificates handed out? I think the 1st batch didnt get any, or did I miss out?

Mods, anyway we could receive our certificates now?

edit : Kaushik - the instructor mentioned at the beginning of the session that the drive safe program has been rolled out to a lot of the public transport drivers as part of this initiative. I wish they conduct such sessions for the 'Autowallahs' in Bangalore in addition to covering the cabbys and BMTC Drivers.

Last edited by uday.ere : 19th September 2011 at 10:41.
Old 19th September 2011, 10:43   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

A sunday morning there, both for being able to meet the guys and the session itself. While most of the content was not new for me, it still helped. Wish the practicals had been more intense.
Old 19th September 2011, 10:52   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

Awesome reports-thanks everyone. Can't wait for a similar session to take place in Mumbai/Pune area.

I was always aware of the 3-second rule and *try* to implement it as much as possible, but I would be lying if I said I practice it steadfastly. Also the rear seatbelts are a revelation: we recently have started insisting that my daughter use them on the expressway runs, but going forward will insist that any passengers buckle up!

It's an interesting point that got raised in the misunderstanding about the guy "learning to drive" in the Fiesta...I have lent my car to very few people to drive (only do it when I am absolutely confident of their ability to control tha vehicle as well as me) and have never thought to ask them, are yo carrying your license? Will do it going forward!
Old 19th September 2011, 11:24   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I was always aware of the 3-second rule and *try* to implement it as much as possible, but I would be lying if I said I practice it steadfastly.
I tried this, but faced a strange problem with this. Whenever I keep the distance of three seconds @ >= 50kmph which is equivalent to 3 cars space between the vehicles, some one will squeeze his car in the available space. This results in me getting pushed back, and this doesnt stop with just one car, more and more will merge in front of me! Try this on Bangalore airport road, where you can easily go beyond 50 kmph, and this doesnt work!

Anyways, this works to a certain extent on the highways, but not in city or not even in suburbs.
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 11:25   #170
BHPian

Shoot, i missed out on this :( any idea if this is going to be conducted again.
Old 19th September 2011, 11:51   #171
BHPian

Re: For Bangalore BHPians : Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" session on Sunday, 18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
3. Use Vehicle's momentum: The volunteers were instructed to drive and reach a marked spot on the road at a speed of 50kmph in 3rd gear, and when they reached the marked spot, they were to remove their leg from the accelerator and were not to press the clutch or brake - they had to stop using their leg.
Now, that is new to me. Can you explain that a bit please (they had to stop using their leg.)?
Old 19th September 2011, 11:56   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
I tried this, but faced a strange problem with this. Whenever I keep the distance of three seconds @ >= 50kmph which is equivalent to 3 cars space between the vehicles, some one will squeeze his car in the available space. This results in me getting pushed back, and this doesnt stop with just one car, more and more will merge in front of me! Try this on Bangalore airport road, where you can easily go beyond 50 kmph, and this doesnt work!

Anyways, this works to a certain extent on the highways, but not in city or not even in suburbs.
Kaushik mentioned that this practice may not be feasible in bumper-to-bumper traffic. one can certainly practice this on highway driving or driving on long stretches of road where there is no bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Now, that is new to me. Can you explain that a bit please (they had to stop using their leg.)?
they were asked to take their feet off pedals (all of them) and let the car roll to a stop.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 19th September 2011 at 11:59.
Old 19th September 2011, 11:59   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah ,the instructor didnt explain this ,but I assume this is to show that the car can carry on for some distance even after lifting your feet from the A pedal.

This could be useful when approaching red lights ...and hence save on fuel.

Another thing to add to my list of what all could have been included is warning the driver behind by tapping your brake pedal so that he/she knows that you are slowing down .

And yeah ,driving in the wet ...was something that was totally omitted
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 11:59   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Left leg should not be on clutch. Right leg should not be on accelerator or brake. - No use of leg

This was just for demo. If you are doing this while driving, be alert to braking needs!
Old 19th September 2011, 12:10   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Left leg should not be on clutch. Right leg should not be on accelerator or brake. - No use of leg

This was just for demo. If you are doing this while driving, be alert to braking needs!
Thanks vasanthn21; that's basically no use of legs. For a moment, I thought you were referring to our bollywood heroes opening the driver door & LITERALLY stopping the car with their legs

I use the momentum method. I like to call this OPTIMAL driving

Manual-transmission cars: with a little practice, you use the engine braking to your benefit, anticipate stopping, anticipate course change distances and minimally use brakes to slow down/stop the vehicle.

Auto-transmission: due to absence of engine braking, this requires too much of practice and even then, you may not be able to anticipate completely and have to use the brakes (though it's possible to use minimally, will be more than required for an MT car though).
Old 19th September 2011, 12:13   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks vasanthn21; that's basically no use of legs. For a moment, I thought you were referring to our bollywood heroes opening the driver door & LITERALLY stopping the car with their legs
That is an interesting interpretation . May be, my choice of words led to lack of clarity in the message. Glad you get it now.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:54   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Another thing to add to my list of what all could have been included is warning the driver behind by tapping your brake pedal so that he/she knows that you are slowing down .

I practise this too. Subtle, but a safe thing to do on our Indian roads, especially given that taxis (among others) like to come speeding as close as possible before they cut to the next lane.

But again, this is open to interpretation. The driver behind may, for an instant, think that you slowed down and then picked up speed (when the tail-lights go off).
Old 19th September 2011, 13:40   #178
Senior - BHPian

So when's this being held in Mumbai?

GTO: A suggestion is can we have mailers to the T-BHP members when such an event is announced? It would really help people know what initiatives T-BHP is launching for its members.
Old 19th September 2011, 14:22   #179
Senior - BHPian

the session was helpful, no doubt about it.

however, one thing i was disappointed about was that although the two sessions were conducted solely for BHPians, i did not find people trying to mingle and get to know each other (at least their handle). i noticed folks from the first batch, (other than a few), just leaving after the session without even saying hello although the folks from the second batch were standing right there at the entrance or near the Team-BHP stickered cars in the parking!

i can understand you might be on a tight schedule or might have had to be somewhere, but c'mon - this is the biggest meeting of Team BHPians in Bangalore so far (if i ain't wrong).

anyways, maybe i was expecting too much

PS: if it isn't too much trouble, could the BHPians identify their rides for the sake of other BHPians? this would be beneficial when people spot each other going forward.

i'll start - the black Getz next to figo_united's red Figo and that maroon Verna is my ride.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 19th September 2011 at 14:43.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 14:37   #180
BHPian

Bit late to the party. Since others have already put in what has been taught and how the experience was, I'll just put my take.

Starting this morning when I took out my car, started practicing

1. Keep the revvs between 1.5-2.5k

2. Seat belts must even for the rear passengers.

3. Drive completely relaxed (as the instructor puts it, like Buddha)

4. Drive slow. I may be late by 10-15 min. Doesn't matter!

5. Stop being 'horny'

And yes, it was great meeting all the fellow BHPians. Event was well organized without any glitches.

Thanks to Ford and TBHP!

Last edited by flyingkolors : 19th September 2011 at 14:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks