Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 14:48   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
the session was helpful, no doubt about it.

however, one thing i was disappointed about was that although the two sessions were conducted solely for BHPians, i did not find people trying to mingle and get to know each other (at least their handle). i noticed folks from the first batch, (other than a few), just leaving after the session without even saying hello although the folks from the second batch were standing right there at the entrance or near the Team-BHP stickered cars in the parking!

i can understand you might be on a tight schedule or might have had to be somewhere, but c'mon - this is the biggest meeting of Team BHPians in Bangalore so far (if i ain't wrong).

anyways, maybe i was expecting too much

PS: if it isn't too much trouble, could the BHPians identify their rides for the sake of other BHPians? this would be beneficial when people spot each other going forward.

i'll start - the black Getz next to figo_united's red Figo and that maroon Verna is my ride.
And we thought people from the second batch didnt turn up ...as we were waiting in the parking lot for sometime

and how do we know as to who is a T -Bhpian when there are so many ppl entering the dealership

The old zen with a MH number is mine
Old 19th September 2011, 15:00   #182
BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

The black FIAT adventure is mine.

Also had a chance to look at new Fiesta. You could hear a chorus of 'overpriced'. Surprisingly Ford's staff were saying that they are not able to keep up the demand!
Old 19th September 2011, 15:04   #183
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-_mg_1970.jpg

Thats my ride. Thanks for the pic, H4WK!
Old 19th September 2011, 15:21   #184
BHPian

Hello,

About that youngster over-revving, burning rubber and going to 40 in second, it was me!! I love revving petrols. I usually redline my vehicles when an opportunity presents itself. And about putting into 5th gear, I know for sure that i DID NOT put it into 5th!! But yeah I guess I was excited!! Umm not about driving fiesta (have driven much more powerful cars before), but about being on my first T-Bhp meet. So was kinda nervous and twitchy i guess.

Anyway!! I would like to let all the Bhpians know that I do have a valid Driver's License!!

Cheers!!
Old 19th September 2011, 15:39   #185
Team-BHP Support

As per Kaushik (the Instructor), it makes sense switching off the engine and cranking it if the stopping time (at traffic signals etc.) is more than 60sec.

IIRC, the time interval when switching off and on the engine will save fuel rather letting is idle is much lesser than that, right? Anyone with the correct figure?
Old 19th September 2011, 15:44   #186
Senior - BHPian

I know that earlier TC diesel engines (including Tata) had stickers on them advising on idling the engine before switching them off.So ,by the time you wait to turn off the ignition the signal would have turned green

I always ensure that I switch off the engine wherever I know that its going to take long or wherever the signal has a timer
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 16:58   #187
BHPian

The silver Zen is mine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-_mg_1985.jpg

And the change to my driving style after the session:
  • Doing "Buddha Driving"
  • Did not rev hard
  • Did try "using the momentum" for some time, was surprised to see how long I could manage in 3rd gear even at very slow speeds.
  • Reduced being "Horny"
  • Asked my wife to "Belt-up", she was wearing a new dress and did not want to crumple it, but promised to belt-up from tomorrow!
I do not know if I will continue this for long (hope I can).

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
And we thought people from the second batch didnt turn up ...as we were waiting in the parking lot for sometime

and how do we know as to who is a T -Bhpian when there are so many ppl entering the dealership

The old zen with a MH number is mine
Speedsatya: I was admiring your car when you were in the training. Wanted to get a closer look of the legendary car that has run for 2,00,000 kms. Unfortunately, I could only see you driving away. May be next time.
I am hoping, I can drive your car some time. (One does not come across a Zen with 2L on the ODO every other day!).

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 19th September 2011 at 17:11.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 17:50   #188
Senior - BHPian

Remembered another bit of good to know info that was in one of the videos:

- 50% of the car's speed is lost in the last 5 meters of travel. Therefore a even a 5kmph speed difference at the point of braking results in a MUCH higher difference in speed near the end of the stop or just before the crash

Example was of a car doing 60 and another 65, and at the point of impact the car initially doing 60 was at ~5, while the car doing 65 was at ~34 (if I'm not mistaken). That's a Big difference!

PS. Don't know if the speeds mentioned in the video were mph or kmph.

Last edited by VeluM : 19th September 2011 at 17:50. Reason: PS
Old 19th September 2011, 17:57   #189
BHPian

What more can be added , the session was good.
I was in the first batch with Amitoj, infact i got his rocket.

It was nice to see my car captured by IronHawks Lens.
Ford Fiesta: 5293 (LCLC)

here a few pics from my side of the moring batch.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_001.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_002.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_003.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_004.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_005.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_008.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_009.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_011.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_012.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_013.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_014.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_015.jpg  

Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward-tbhp_17.jpg  

yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 18:02   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
As per Kaushik (the Instructor), it makes sense switching off the engine ... if the stopping time .. is more than 60sec.
The book says 20 secs.

Quote:
I know that earlier TC diesel engines (including Tata) had stickers on them advising on idling the engine before switching them off.
Discussed on another thread. The idling before switch off would be applicable more for a cold engine & for switch off before next use (say after you're back home at night).

A more practical approach is to idle about 5-10 seconds when in traffic, since the engine is already warm

Last edited by condor : 19th September 2011 at 18:03.
Old 19th September 2011, 18:33   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that earlier TC diesel engines (including Tata) had stickers on them advising on idling the engine before switching them off.So ,by the time you wait to turn off the ignition the signal would have turned green
+1
Turbos usually fails due to hot a shutdown. This occurs when the vehicle has been running at speed for a period of time and the vehicle is shut off before the turbo has had time to slow down. A turbo can spin at speeds exceeding 100,000 rpm, the faster the vehicle goes or the harder it works, the faster the turbo will spin. If a vehicle is shutoff suddenly the turbo will continue to spin without oil as the lubrication system is stopped as soon as the engine is switched off.
Each time this occurs, the life of the turbo is shortened because of wear occurring from no lubrication, eventually leading to a turbo failure.

Hence manufacturers suggest an idling of approx 30 sec or more (bigger capacity engines) before switching off.
Old 19th September 2011, 18:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-_mg_1966.jpg

The white i10 is mine.
Old 19th September 2011, 19:05   #193
Senior - BHPian

This should help on the queries about the idle times and switch of and on etc.

Idling Your Car

And with the counters shown on the traffic signal in major signals, it really helps to know when you need to switch on. Some are like 100+ seconds of wait in the city. So, a major saving.
Old 19th September 2011, 20:05   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

Speedsatya: I was admiring your car when you were in the training. Wanted to get a closer look of the legendary car that has run for 2,00,000 kms. Unfortunately, I could only see you driving away. May be next time.
I am hoping, I can drive your car some time. (One does not come across a Zen with 2L on the ODO every other day!).
Hehe ,had you really taken a closer look ,you would have been tired counting the dents (thanks to people who were driving it when me was in the UK ..havent repaired it as the wifey will be adding a few more to these :X)

I apologize I didnt notice you :( Was in a hurry as had some urgent stuff to do at home .

The car hasnt completed 2 L ,but is on its way to do that in sometime .

And yeah ,lets meet up sometime .

On the session ,will share this funny incident on the NICE road.We had just completed the 1st and 2nd topics where the instructor had advised on not exceeding 50 kph in the 5th gear and also maintain revvs between 1500 to 2500 rpms .

On reaching the NICE road,we have this Bhpian ( forgot his name ...the instructor named him Ramanujam for his quick maths ) who jumps into the Fiesta and does 50 kph in the 2nd gear .The instructor just nods his head.
Old 19th September 2011, 20:37   #195
BHPian

Quote:
On the session ,will share this funny incident on the NICE road.We had just completed the 1st and 2nd topics where the instructor had advised on not exceeding 50 kph in the 5th gear and also maintain revvs between 1500 to 2500 rpms .

On reaching the NICE road,we have this Bhpian ( forgot his name ...the instructor named him Ramanujam for his quick maths ) who jumps into the Fiesta and does 50 kph in the 2nd gear .The instructor just nods his head.
Haha, well I have to say that the session was really helpful. When you are out on your daily drive you can follow the economy tips. You can always follow the safety rules. But when you step out of your house just to enjoy your petrol engine, the economy stuff goes for a toss (safety always will be there). I don't know how many would agree with me, but I absolutely enjoy revving a petrol!! and a fiesta 1.6 doing 50 in 2nd isn't that big a deal. Dont think it was that high revs either.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is, I will follow the economy tips on most occasions. But when i get into a car just to enjoy the drive, as long as the condition permit me, I'll rev her away in every gear!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks