Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 11:44   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
I'm pretty sure of this. The Chevy Cruze putters along at around 50-55 in 5th (topgear) without any problems. You can keep on going!!
Discovered this after close to 2L kms in the Zen !!

The car doesnt do 50-60 ,but yesterday i saw that i was doing 20-30kph easily in 4th gear ..but i doubt if this will be helpful in daily driving within the city .I was trying this yesterday on my way back from work and I had a couple of angry drivers waiting to punch me :P
Old 21st September 2011, 12:51   #212
BHPian

Re: For Bangalore BHPians : Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" session on Sunday, 18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Discovered this after close to 2L kms in the Zen !!

The car doesnt do 50-60 ,but yesterday i saw that i was doing 20-30kph easily in 4th gear ..but i doubt if this will be helpful in daily driving within the city .I was trying this yesterday on my way back from work and I had a couple of angry drivers waiting to punch me :P
Even I feel that it wont do 50-60 but will comfortably do 30. Even during the exercise, Kaushik asked them to get to 50 and leave off the ABC pedals, the speed reduced considerably, but didnt stall, I think then too it settled down to around 20-30 for cruising along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Just got a call from metro ford asking for my address. She said they'll courier the certificate.
Yes, I too got a call from them for my address..Thanks.

Last edited by uday.ere : 21st September 2011 at 13:01.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:49   #213
BHPian

Re: Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onwa

When we did that 50km/h cruise, we were in third gear. But if we were in a higher gear, it would have been a bit better. In a more powerful car with 6th gear it should be easy 50km/h!!
Old 22nd September 2011, 00:14   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even I tried doing this 20-25 in the 3rd gear but felt that I was kind of blocking the traffic. Also, as mentioned by you I think this will never help us because in city roads we will be either in bumper to bumper traffic or around 30 with frequent braking. In highway no one is going to drive this way except while approaching toll both. Only take away from this test is avoid unnecessary acceleration.
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:02   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Even I tried doing this 20-25 in the 3rd gear but felt that I was kind of blocking the traffic. Also, as mentioned by you I think this will never help us because in city roads we will be either in bumper to bumper traffic or around 30 with frequent braking. In highway no one is going to drive this way except while approaching toll both. Only take away from this test is avoid unnecessary acceleration.
This tactic can be implemented when you're approaching a red light at a traffic signal. Stay in the highest gear, don't accelerate and let the revs fall to the minimum. You will not only save fuel, it will ensure engine longevity and you will be in control of your car since it is in gear!

I come across such instances every day. And I've learnt to implement it!
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:09   #216
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to spoil the party guys, but the only things which I could gather from reading the last 5 pages are:
- Wear seat belts
- Check RVMs
- No tailgating
- Defensive and relaxed driving
- Turn off ignition if waiting for more than 60 seconds

Don't we all know this already ? I fail to understand what is the rocket science here ?

Purely from the point of view of learning driving skills for life, was it really worth wasting half a day on attending this event (not counting the opportunity to meet fellow BHPians and the lunch/high tea) ?

Rohan
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:11   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Don't we all know this already ? I fail to understand what is the rocket science here ?

Purely from the point of view of learning driving skills for life, was it really worth wasting half a day on attending this event (not counting the opportunity to meet fellow BHPians and the lunch/high tea) ?

Rohan
+1. The course was not modified for the given audience. The content would have been right if the audience was cab drivers or auto drivers.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:19   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This tactic can be implemented when you're approaching a red light at a traffic signal. Stay in the highest gear, don't accelerate and let the revs fall to the minimum. You will not only save fuel, it will ensure engine longevity and you will be in control of your car since it is in gear!

I come across such instances every day. And I've learnt to implement it!
If you check your mileage regularly, do let us know how much of an improvement do you have.

Since the event, my driving style is changed keeping the guidelines from the event in mind. Will check FE and post it here.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:34   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Even though individually we may know several things, we may not necessarily practise them in real life. However when we address these things as a group, the whole group might start practising them together and that will bring about a change.

You can see there are a few members who have decided to apply some of the learnings in their day to day driving to see how much of a change it brings about. It shows that: some of them were unaware of some of the points (such as the fear the car would stall if the accelerator, brake and clutch were left untouched while in gear), or that coasting in gear without the use of the accelerator pedal would bring about some FE gains, and secondly when as a group they decide to apply these measures to their daily driving it will go a long way towards establishing better driving standards, than if they were to do it as an individual.

A group activity has a longer lasting effect than a personal endeavour.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:20   #220
MK3
BHPian

I attended the morning batch on 18th, just received the certificate in courier.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:56   #221
Senior - BHPian

Dunno if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread ,one very important topic was on ensuring that there isnt anything under the driver seat .

This is dangerous as these can roll under the brake pedal on hard braking and lead to scary situations
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:11   #222
Senior - BHPian

another thing i remember from the class was the punchline (not sure if anybody shared already):

Good drivers just drive

i likey!

Old 23rd September 2011, 12:30   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dunno if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread ,one very important topic was on ensuring that there isnt anything under the driver seat .

This is dangerous as these can roll under the brake pedal on hard braking and lead to scary situations
I had the habit of driving barefoot (even now if I am wearing chappals, I drive barefoot). The footwear would reside near the driver's seat, in the footwell. On hard braking or hard cornering, the footwear often slid forward, and then started disturbing my foot geometry with the pedals. I had to constantly keep an eye (figuratively) on it to make sure my feet were free to operate the pedals.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:48   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I had the habit of driving barefoot (even now if I am wearing chappals, I drive barefoot). The footwear would reside near the driver's seat, in the footwell. On hard braking or hard cornering, the footwear often slid forward, and then started disturbing my foot geometry with the pedals. I had to constantly keep an eye (figuratively) on it to make sure my feet were free to operate the pedals.
The example that was quoted was that someone he knew was driving with some empty coke cans at the rear seat. One of them fell down, and rolled into the front and had got stuck under the brake pedal!
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:29   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
The example that was quoted was that someone he knew was driving with some empty coke cans at the rear seat. One of them fell down, and rolled into the front and had got stuck under the brake pedal!
true story

June 2009 we were travelling to Pondicherry in our car; i was driving. couple of days back i was involved in a bike accident and had my left knee peeled and had injuries on the left foot. i didn't want to cancel the trip as we had been planning it for quite some time. so i get myself the slip on sandals and wear shorts (so that the knee area is free).

while driving i used to remove the sandals and drive barefoot (keeping the sandals under my foot. once it happened that i had to brake hard and the sandals slipped under the clutch and i could not depress it. result - the car stalled and came to a stop.

after that i made sure that i kept the footwell clear!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed