Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 23:01   #76
BHPian

Re: Forster resigns from Tata Motors

Sridhar-v, my man, your experiences have been most enlightening and I have enjoyed reading all of your posts on this thread. Heck, you should be chronicling your experiences of Tata in a book and I would be among the first to buy a copy. Such experiences are priceless. No wonder that you are profusely being thanked for almost every post on this thread.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
At this moment if you must buy a TATA vehicle go for the Manza as its engine & gear box are sourced directly from FIAT & it is also assembled by FIAT at Ranjangaon. That is the main reason its quality is so much better.
You are the man. It is so interesting to know the inside story. Keep them coming. Anytime interacted with FIAT? Would love to learn their story also. The hidden story.

No wonder why number of thanks far exceeds the number of your posts.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reason - unacceptable process variation.
At the risk of sounding like a voyeur, would love to know the follow up.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 19th September 2011 at 23:27.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

@ Sridhar V,

I have become a fan of your stories/experiences and each one is an insight into Tata's various issues. I hope you keep posting and these lessons strike somewhere within TML. I am a supporter of the home grown makers Mahindra and Tata, but with the latter I am on the verge of giving up. I hope TML works to win their supporters back!!
Old 20th September 2011, 00:07   #80
BHPian

Sridhar,

Thanks for the detailed insight. Tata must get away with sarkari attitude on QC. I was of the opinion that the assembly line issues / overlooks lead to random niggles on Tata cars. Now I understand it is their in-efficient/ wrong processeses that results in random product defects/ failures slowly customer losing peace of mind.

I understand why Tata's Debasis responds desperately to this thread (like MMS & P.Chidambaram on terror attacks India will do the needful, Indian security is world class bla bla) Your insights through Team Bhp reveals to wider car buyers. Let Tata change their QC.

What Forster couldnot reveal publicly ,Team Bhp thread on him reveals with your valuable insights
Old 20th September 2011, 09:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Now I understand it is their in-efficient/ wrong processeses that results in random product defects/ failures slowly customer losing peace of mind.

I understand why Tata's Debasis responds desperately to this thread (like MMS & P.Chidambaram on terror attacks India will do the needful, Indian security is world class bla bla)
Let me clarify on the QC front. If you think the Japanese are stringent with QC, my friend you are wrong. e.g. Toyota does not have have an incoming component inspection from their vendors (Yes u heard it right!). This is possible because the over 50 years of product development has resulted in a vast knowledge of the aspects of the product that most Indian OEM lack. The Japs, Germans, US have run 9km in a 10km run, we Indians are only at the start point.

It is a huge gap to fill in a short time. Each car made / faltered is avluable lesson for the companies (not just to Tatas). The improvements will come as time sets in. Understand the huge issues in the original Indica & how Indica V2 had emerged sorting those. You need to give time for people to study and sort the issues. Some may be easy, cost effective and less time to implement, certainly a few are really hard to do (thats why even GTOs' german cars have niggles!)

Let us not be prejudiced. Only time and proper action TML can change this views from people. I do have heard good stories from my friends who own Vista / Manza.

India has the best anti-terror set up my friend. Just google for The Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Vairengte, Mizoram. It is the Elite school against terror in the whole world. U speak of the one bomb that is blown, some one there would have stopped a thousand!
rajess_in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 09:55   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
Let me clarify on the QC front. If you think the Japanese are stringent with QC, my friend you are wrong. e.g. Toyota does not have have an incoming component inspection from their vendors (Yes u heard it right!).
Sorry, this does not mean that they are not stringent with QC. In their JIT schedule, the incoming materials like bearings and tires etc are not subjected to QC inspection, but the QC and manufacturing process is controlled at the Vendor's manufacturing stage itself. Sridhar had given an example of this in his post itself on Toyota Kirloskar

Quote:
This is possible because the over 50 years of product development has resulted in a vast knowledge of the aspects of the product that most Indian OEM lack. The Japs, Germans, US have run 9km in a 10km run, we Indians are only at the start point.
Agree to the above

Quote:

Let us not be prejudiced. Only time and proper action TML can change this views from people. I do have heard good stories from my friends who own Vista / Manza.
If you read the thread, there is a consensus on the above - only issue is whether there is proper action on TML part? They dont have the luxury of time the Koreans and Japs had during the learning curve

Quote:
India has the best anti-terror set up my friend. Just google for The Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Vairengte, Mizoram. It is the Elite school against terror in the whole world. U speak of the one bomb that is blown, some one there would have stopped a thousand!
Yes, Jungle warfare school is the best in training - but what we are worried about is the implementation part, arent we?
Old 20th September 2011, 10:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hello Mods,

Request you to please club Sridhar-v's all manufacturing related posts into one separate thread and name it appropriately.

Sridhar-v, thanks a lot Sir! I had been wanting to know for the longest time all the information that you have shared with us!
Old 20th September 2011, 10:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could go on and on. Will stop here for now.
WHY?

Respected Sir,

Please dont stop. I have owned 2 TATA cars in the past, (Ex - Indigo CS LS Tdi), current Nano CX. Nano is leagues ahead in fit and finish wrt to Indigo. Your posts give so much insiders view into the behind-the-stage world of automobile ancillaries. All my life I have been closely related to this unsung heroes world - my dad was working as a QC person in a leading clutch & brake supplier for nearly all manufacturers in India. His stories of how Bajaj, AL, TML, M&M, etc fought over 2Rs per component still lingers inside my head!!

Though I dont have much to share like your hands-on and bitter stories, please do enlighten us with your experiences. MAKES a WORLD of difference to us. We may STILL CRIB ABOUT TATA, but from a different perspective.

Santosh
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 11:19   #85
Senior - BHPian

Is the general Indian pysche or the "Chalta Hai" attitude one of the reasons for this? After all, the examples that are being cited as comparison are Japanese/German/American/Korean manufacturers.

Are any other Indian auto manufacturers any different?
Old 20th September 2011, 11:38   #86
Team-BHP Support

Dear sridhar-v,

I think I echo the sentiment of lot of BHPians when I say you have revealed a treasure trove of information about Tata vehicles. It is a combination of brilliance and mediocre in one package. Having worked in a Tata company (TCS) for 6 years myself, I can understand how it happens. But finding a parallel in automobile counterpart is a feeling of deja-vu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
At the risk of sounding like a voyeur, would love to know the follow up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
WHY?

Respected Sir,

Please dont stop.
Well, he still has to work within the boundaries of NDA. So we will have to accept as much as he can reveal.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 12:15   #87
BHPian

Just to share with you that, on the quality front, there is a huge pressure and happenings where TML are trying very hard to bring a massive culture change. Even we have read that Mr. Ratan Tata is talking to the Nano customers to get a first hand feedback on the cars issues ...does not that indicate the seriousness of Tata in their car business?

Last 2 quarters there are many senior and right people from the manufacturing unit who are being sent to Japan ( to be trained Dr. Kano , many of you may be knowing this name, and amy others , including Mr. Anjani Chowdhury of Mahindra Quality Group) to get insight of 'best quality' in the car business, and also made visit to the Toyota plant in Nagoya to get a first hand feel of their mfg process and the stringent quality.

This clearly shows that their efforts are in the right path, the thoughts are positive and atleast I am sure TML will be able to showcase the improved quality in their products.

As many of you have said, we have to give a fair chance to this most ethical business house in car business :-)

Most of us are hopeful and have faith in their business and abilities, with now the right focus coming from the Bombay House , sure to see a turnaround in their numbers.

We have to support this homegrown companies of Tatas, Mahindras who can make another Toyota in next 20-30 years , who knows.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:37   #88
BHPian

Superb posts @Sridhar-V, People like you make Team-Bhp such a special place. Your posts were an eye opener on the ideologies followed in manufacturing. At the same time reflecting the importance of retaining the right minded people in an organization.

It made me proud when you said TATA has excellent design processes and miserable at the same time when I found out about the actual manufacturing. Personally I love the Safari for its design and harbour a wish to buy the Merlin or Aria someday, hopefully once TATA have cleared the doubts related to the niggles.

The memory of TopGear making fun of Indica (City Rover) is still fresh in my mind. Would love to see Tata exceed british tech and quality someday.
Thank you for the stories.

Last edited by Slick : 20th September 2011 at 14:38. Reason: formatting
Old 20th September 2011, 14:47   #89
Team-BHP Support

srihari, after reading I have gotten a new insight into the workings of Tata motors. But it also makes me very scared.
I feel, that the management is very dedicated on making quality work, and has been like this from many years.
And here lies the problem.
If with such a dedicated and wonderful management team such junk gets manufactured, I shudder to think what will happen if the current management is replaced by one which is not as dedicated.
My 9 year old indica, which has been babied and serviced regularly, with some oil changes happening after 3000kms because 6 months passed, is in the same state as a 20 year old M800 in the family.
My 3 year old safari is such that the ownership thread has surpassed Homer and Iliad in length
A company which cannot manufacture power windows which go up and down when button is pressed to go up and down, wants to manufacture a vehicle which will beat the world?

Well we are waiting.

I for one would simply love to have one of the senior guys over, and give them a tour of my wonderful vehicle.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 17:51   #90
BHPian

Well in case TML continues to be on the path which Shridhar-V has pointed out I am sure it would not be long before customers stop buying their products and company will have to shut down.

I am sure the management of Tata is well aware of the issues and weeding out the bad elements. TML quality is definitely improving and they have definitely come a long way since past 15 years that they are in the automobile space.

I think we are reading too much over a CEO resigning as people come and go in any organisation.

Most Viewed