Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 18:42   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen
Dont know if this is the right thread to ask this.

Did the laura (old one) ever come in a higher state of tune (than the 110 bhp)? My friend claim to have hit 200kmph (Had enough straight road with good visibility) in it. I highly doubt the 110bhp mill is capable of getting the laura (manual) to 200 mark (my friend claims it had more juice left).
Hi rangakishen,
The Skodas in India have a max speed limiter set at 190km/h, so it is unlikely that your friend hit 200! The engine certainly has enough power, but the Ecu will still not allow the car to go beyond 190. Only way it is possible is if it is assisted by a downslope/ or if the speed limiter is raised (which is done when cars are hypertuned - peted, chipped etc!.
Old 28th September 2011, 18:51   #32
BHPian

Re: The 15-20 lac Quick Car Guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi rangakishen,
The Skodas in India have a max speed limiter set at 190km/h, so it is unlikely that your friend hit 200! The engine certainly has enough power, but the Ecu will still not allow the car to go beyond 190. Only way it is possible is if it is assisted by a downslope/ or if the speed limiter is raised (which is done when cars are hypertuned - peted, chipped etc!.
I've seen the pic at 200kmph. But cant believe it. And about 190 speed limit, There are so many Bhpians who've gone beyond 200 in their lauras (petrol which is really powerful).
Old 28th September 2011, 20:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Dont know if this is the right thread to ask this.

Did the laura (old one) ever come in a higher state of tune (than the 110 bhp)? My friend claim to have hit 200kmph (Had enough straight road with good visibility) in it. I highly doubt the 110bhp mill is capable of getting the laura (manual) to 200 mark (my friend claims it had more juice left).
You mean the 105bhp PD. Yes it is possible with an open stretch he touched 200 on the speedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi rangakishen,
Which Skoda cars are these? Enough Laura tsi's going above 200, I've driven a Superb 1.8 above 190 and a 3.6 to 220. The old vRS also had a claimed top speed of 220.

Pete's or any of these chips can't alter the speed limiter but can raise the top speed if the car is not limited.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th September 2011 at 20:31.
Old 28th September 2011, 20:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You mean the 105bhp PD. Yes it is possible with an open stretch he touched 200 on the speedo.
Dont know if I should continue this discussion here. Please guide me to the appropriate thread. But till today I thought that a car's BHP rating is directly indicative of its top speed (of course weight comes into play). So then an SX4 can do 200? ANHC can do 200? Polo 1.6 (power to weight ratio is on par with laura's) can do 200?? !! Not talking about stability here. I know the cars above mentioned will not be stable at all, but just top speed on one straight road.
Old 28th September 2011, 21:03   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dont know if I should continue this discussion here. Please guide me to the appropriate thread. But till today I thought that a car's BHP rating is directly indicative of its top speed (of course weight comes into play). So then an SX4 can do 200? ANHC can do 200? Polo 1.6 (power to weight ratio is on par with laura's) can do 200?? !! Not talking about stability here. I know the cars above mentioned will not be stable at all, but just top speed on one straight road.
Nope the SX4 nor the City (I'm quite sure) have the torque to touch 200. Its not only power to weight, its where the power is delivered, how much torque is there. The Laura 105bhp pd had 250nm of torque I think which is much more than the SX4 or City and that is what would have given the extra push to reach 200 on the speedo. Again I'm saying the speedo reading, and the actually speed was probably 15-20km lower.

The Polo 1.6 I've sat in, and man that car is quick. Enough of friends have touched 190 with ease, I think that too would just about touch 200 on the speedo.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th September 2011 at 21:14.
Old 28th September 2011, 21:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Nope the SX4 nor the City (I'm quite sure) have the torque to touch 200. Its not only power to weight, its where the power is delivered, how much torque is there. The Laura 105bhp pd had 250nm of torque I think which is much more than the SX4 or City and that is what would have given the extra push to reach 200 on the speedo. Again I'm saying the speedo reading, and the actually speed was probably 15-20km lower.

The Polo 1.6 I've sat in and man that car is quick. Enough of friends have touched 190 with ease, I think that too would just about touch 200 on the speedo.
Point taken. SX4 does have puny torque (IIRC 140Nm) compared to Laura.

Thank you for the quick responses!!
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 21:16   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Point taken. SX4 does have puny torque (IIRC 140Nm) compared to Laura.

Thank you for the quick responses!!
No problem buddy. Nice to see someone else my age over here

Now lets get back on topic.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 10:30   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Polo 1.6 I've sat in, and man that car is quick. Enough of friends have touched 190 with ease, I think that too would just about touch 200 on the speedo.
Hi Akshay,

You have the answer in what you just mentioned. The Speedo actually over-reports the speed by almost 8% in case of Skoda (see Briskoda for more details). The ECU however knows the correct speed as it uses a different approach for speed / distance calculation and does not refer the speedometer/ odometer. The actual speed when the speedo displays 200 will be around 184kmph. Laura and Yeti I know for sure are limited till 190 True speed by Channel 7 of the ECU controller ( It is possible to increase this with Lemminwinks.) In Superb, IIRC, it is set at 210 kmph (true speed).
There are several limiting factors which restrict the car's ability to go faster, main one being the aerodynamics - at such high speeds, wind resistance is very high and has to be overcome by the engine power (front force generated by torque on wheels), hence after a point , most cars will not be able to forge ahead due to air resistance. There also other factors like suspension, ground clearance, tyres etc which also play a role in stability of the car at these speeds. This is where body kit and spoilers help increase the stability at high speeds. E.g. A Laura VRS with the same 1.8 TSI engine will be able to go faster (pickup and top speed) because of better aerodynamics from the kit and spoiler).
There are also many other factors which are significant, but it is definitely not safe to drive any car at such speeds on Indian roads and I would request all to please refrain from trying such speeds. If you would like to race your car, please participate in one of the racing clubs which operate from racing tracks.

Drive safe!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 30th September 2011 at 10:34.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 10:05   #39
vcx
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2011 at 10:30.
vcx is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
No problem buddy. Nice to see someone else my age over here

Now lets get back on topic.
Hi Akshay,
Thanks for the useful post. I have been digging through all the threads on this topic because this is my problem today. A good car in 15-20L (OTR) range !. I need a preferably diesel, with minimal turbo lag, excellent build, all possible safety features for this segment, and a driver's car (I love driving) and also good back seat comfort with mostly 4 adults max and may be occasionally (5% of times) a 5th adult in back seat (preferably a low floor hump). What do u think fits the bill?
Old 24th July 2012, 12:22   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi Akshay,
A good car in 15-20L (OTR) range !. I need a preferably diesel, with minimal turbo lag, excellent build, all possible safety features for this segment, and a driver's car (I love driving) and also good back seat comfort with mostly 4 adults max and may be occasionally (5% of times) a 5th adult in back seat (preferably a low floor hump). What do u think fits the bill?
Not that difficult, considering the fact that there are not many options around. In diesel AT, Jetta and Laura are good choices, Jetta is relatively new, Laura has DSG in lower trims, and you may have more options to bargain.

If its MT, you can bring in the Fluence also into the mix. I read some good reviews on the E4 after the recent engine upgrade. And if you like something different, the Yeti is there as well. So if you firm up on the priority of the parameters e.g.; MT v/s AT, power, safety, ride & handling, making a choice should be quite easy. Happy shopping.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:59   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi Akshay,
Thanks for the useful post. I have been digging through all the threads on this topic because this is my problem today. A good car in 15-20L (OTR) range !. I need a preferably diesel, with minimal turbo lag, excellent build, all possible safety features for this segment, and a driver's car (I love driving) and also good back seat comfort with mostly 4 adults max and may be occasionally (5% of times) a 5th adult in back seat (preferably a low floor hump). What do u think fits the bill?
Like Vb-san mentioned, the Laura and the Jetta should be your 2 main choices, they fit the criteria well. Now depending on which variant you are looking at and whether auto or manual you can decide between the 2. People think the Laura looks dated, but personally I don't think it does. I would recommend you check out one of the DSG variants since it is a brilliant gearbox.

Do also check out the Yeti, its a great little car.
Old 24th July 2012, 20:39   #43
BHPian

Hi Vb-San and Akshay.
Thanks for the input. To confuse the issue further I was reading on net comparison between Japanese and German / European cars. Well, that was even more distracting as most websites mention about surveys in European countries and US mentioning the Japanese occupying the top positions in list of most reliable cars. Toyota seems to be one of the most reliable. But the diesel car they have in my budget seems to be significantly underpowered, without automatic options too and a dated looking design (corolla altis 1.4 D4D) and overpriced. Honda doesnt have a diesel. Except that Corolla doesn't have a floor hump and appears to be able to sit 5 at back comfortably, it doesnt look attractive when I compare it to European counterparts in this price bracket. Or am I overlooking anything in Japanese? By the way I have asked for a test drive with corolla and they will bring it to me tomorrow.

Now let me relax one of my criteria.
Suppose my monthly running is about 1200-1300 Kms, then with the petrol rates as they stand now (with the possibility of climbing further up), can I consider a petrol vehicle? If so what should be my choices in this price range (other than the petrol counterparts of same jetta, laura. Oh yes, probably Honda appears on scene now?). I hope you will be able to help me out.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please use "Edit" option to modify your post if posting within 30 minutes. Back-to-back posting is considered spam on this forum.

Last edited by noopster : 25th July 2012 at 09:14. Reason: Refer mod note

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks