Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 17:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Segment wise Car Comparisons between the Rivals!

Great effort.

I am curious to know how much weightage folks give to 0-100 kmph for entry level and entry luxury SUVs, given that many are body on frames. And how much weightage for mid-range grunt - that is useful in day to day driving and highway overtaking.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 16th September 2011 at 17:36.
Old 16th September 2011, 17:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good effort, and a very comprehensive one at that. Should serve in comparing apples to apples as lot of times it gets confusing what feature is there in one car and something else is there in the other model (Manufacturer).

Wouldn't it be good to cover the OTR for multiple cities, i usually go back to Autocar for this list as they list OTR prices for multiple cities.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:28   #18
BHPian

Excellent effort @raj_5004
I wish Team-BHP had a wiki feature. These kind of topics could be put up as a table and folks add/update as they stroll by.
Mods, possible?

- adnan
Old 16th September 2011, 22:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Nice comparison sheet.
If its Only Diesel hatchbacks you are considering, then the i20 neither has the 6 gears nor the 6 airbags anymore There is no Asta (o) variant for the Diesel.
thanks. I will correct this.

Quote:
The i20's in gear acceleration figures are hideous compared to all the other cars. Never knew it
I knew i20 had a weak low end response but dint expect such a big difference frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Pretty good reference for a quick spec-sheet comparo. Nice work raj!
Thanks buddy.

Quote:
3) Punto 90 is a great car on paper. But the asking price is a touch on the higher side. Also the Fiat brand does not inspire confidence among the average car buyer.
I feel the pricing is proper if you see the specs & the feature list, however I do agree about the brand image.

Quote:
Please do include the new Swift data as and when available
New Swift & Liva diesel will be added soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Raj, which consistent one has posted the timing quoted by you? The X1 0-100 is just about seven-tenths slower that the 320d, which is 7.6. I can understand half a second here & there but more than a second off the actual timining is completely mis-leading, more so when you've quoted the Santa Fe to be almost as quick

Btw, I have the base X1, so I'm not talking about the top end one. And, you cannot close the ORVMs if you are beyond the speed where they open up.
I will surely correct this in the next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Neat and very helpful information raj_5004.

Though most of us Bhpians knew many of these stats, some are really intriguing, especially when stacked against competitors like the way you have done!!
Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Awesome mate !! I was actually looking for something like this today and you made it happens.

Thanks again.

Now, only if somebody could guide me which one of these three - Punto 90BHP or Linea Diesel or Linea TJET makes more sense to buy.

Cheers
Hi buddy, if you can afford a petrol, nothing like the T-Jet. Its a rocket... coupled with FIAT's expertise in ride & handling, it is a hoot to drive. Also, Linea is a stunner!

If you compare the performance of the Linea diesel v/s Punto 90 HP, surprisingly, Linea feels peppier. also, rear legroom is more in Linea.

Linea's beige & black interiors look luxurious/classy whereas Punto's all black + silver interiors look chic/sporty.

The only reason to pick a 90 hp among the above three would be that, I feel, Punto looks "smarter", just my humble opinion! (Thats the main reason I opted for Punto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Great effort.

I am curious to know how much weightage folks give to 0-100 kmph for entry level and entry luxury SUVs, given that many are body on frames. And how much weightage for mid-range grunt - that is useful in day to day driving and highway overtaking.
I give priority to in-gear timings rather than 0-100 kmph. In real world conditions, where are you going to drag race? so how does 0-100 actually matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Good effort, and a very comprehensive one at that. Should serve in comparing apples to apples as lot of times it gets confusing what feature is there in one car and something else is there in the other model (Manufacturer).

Wouldn't it be good to cover the OTR for multiple cities, i usually go back to Autocar for this list as they list OTR prices for multiple cities.
Point noted. I will write OTR of multiple cities as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsjar View Post
Excellent effort @raj_5004
I wish Team-BHP had a wiki feature. These kind of topics could be put up as a table and folks add/update as they stroll by.
Mods, possible?

- adnan
Thanks buddy.
Old 16th September 2011, 22:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ raj5004: I understand that you went with published figures, but as a Fortuner owner, I have a few comments. I am sure owners of other vehicles will have similar ones.

In a Fortuner, 3rd gear 20-80 kmph will badly affect the RPMs. One needs to ride on the peak torque curve for best results and smooth driving. 3rd gear 20 kmph will be close to knocking the engine. Try 40 - 100 kmph, and you will get a very different figure. Same for 4th gear 60-120 kmph. I don't know why one would drive it @ 40 kmph in 4th gear.

One needs to adjust gearing for a particular speed to ride the 1400-3400 rpm peak torque plateau. I know auto magazines test these figures, but I doubt these mean anything in the real world. One would be close to knocking the engine at the lower speeds, and end up sacrificing fuel efficiency at the higher speeds for these kind of tests.

Maybe we should also look at types of vehicles when we are considering the non-hatchback vehicles - not sure why an X1 is clubbed with a Fortuner, except that they are b/w the 20-30 lakh price range (wish I had both for different uses lol). Possible subclassifications could be: entry level level MUVs, entry SUVs (add Force SUV to Scorpio and Safari), mid-range and entry luxury crossovers, entry luxury body on frames etc. Though I understand that general junta (non-BHPians) would probably look at things in a different way.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 16th September 2011 at 22:52.
Old 16th September 2011, 23:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi, these are just figures represented for comparisons. I understand nobody really drives a vehicle like this, but these figures show how good the bottom end response of the engine is.

It would be really difficult to make different files for different body styles in different segments! Who would compete with the X1 then?
Old 16th September 2011, 23:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Maybe someone can come up with a decision support engine (like a product selector on ecommerce sites or comparison shopping sites) that asks for qualitative inputs and throws up recos based on raw data like in the Excel sheets. I am yet to see such a good engine in India for automobiles (last time I checked, a leading site such as Carwale had a very simple qualitative decision support engine that was not of much use). It is possible to easily create one in Excel - e.g. give weightages for comfort, space, handling + speed, brand premium etc. And each vehicle has different scores on each parameter. Multiple the weightage with scores, and one gets the best fit vehicle for a given basket of wants and needs. This can be used by a BHPIan as well as a lay person.

Qualitative:
1. The score - for a parameter - are constant for a particular vehicle e.g. handling rating for an X1.

2. The weightages for each parameter would be unique to each user

3. The end score would be unique to each user, given the unique basket of preferences. Of course, we could come up with popular segments that have common preferences.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 16th September 2011 at 23:30.
Old 17th September 2011, 00:11   #23
BHPian

Great. Was looking at Figo Titanium diesel and Fabia Elegance 1.6 petrol. Can you include these?
Also, attachments are not visible in. android app, I had to open browser. Can this be corrected?
Old 17th September 2011, 00:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Maybe someone can come up with a decision support engine (like a product selector on ecommerce sites or comparison shopping sites) that asks for qualitative inputs and throws up recos based on raw data like in the Excel sheets. I am yet to see such a good engine in India for automobiles (last time I checked, a leading site such as Carwale had a very simple qualitative decision support engine that was not of much use). It is possible to easily create one in Excel - e.g. give weightages for comfort, space, handling + speed, brand premium etc. And each vehicle has different scores on each parameter. Multiple the weightage with scores, and one gets the best fit vehicle for a given basket of wants and needs. This can be used by a BHPIan as well as a lay person.

Qualitative:
1. The score - for a parameter - are constant for a particular vehicle e.g. handling rating for an X1.

2. The weightages for each parameter would be unique to each user

3. The end score would be unique to each user, given the unique basket of preferences. Of course, we could come up with popular segments that have common preferences.
Modelling is not a issue. Issue will be assigning "qualititative" scores to each car considering how attached people are to their cars For eg. i read a comment somewhere that Punto 90HP feels slow only when tested in a new car, it opens up and can beat other cars once run-in
Old 17th September 2011, 08:36   #25
BHPian

Thanks Raj for this wholesome compilation.

Among the diesel hatchbacks, after going through the data, the two options that stand out are Ritz VDI and Figo Titanium; they come up tops for giving the biggest bang for the buck and for being VFM of the lot. Add airbags to Ritz and rear power windows for the Figo and they become much well-rounded packages.
Old 17th September 2011, 11:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hi buddy, if you can afford a petrol, nothing like the T-Jet. Its a rocket... coupled with FIAT's expertise in ride & handling, it is a hoot to drive. Also, Linea is a stunner!

If you compare the performance of the Linea diesel v/s Punto 90 HP, surprisingly, Linea feels peppier. also, rear legroom is more in Linea.

Linea's beige & black interiors look luxurious/classy whereas Punto's all black + silver interiors look chic/sporty.

The only reason to pick a 90 hp among the above three would be that, I feel, Punto looks "smarter", just my humble opinion! (Thats the main reason I opted for Punto)
Thanks, mate. I was almost sure on the T-Jet, but I am veering towards the Linea diesel with the petrol prices skyrocketing. I just need some doubts cleared. I will raise those in a couple of other threads.

Cheers
Old 17th September 2011, 12:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think this is a good initiative - its a kind of ready reckoner & we should not start getting too technical about the 'model' & start throwing in weightages etc

Why complicate & mess up a simple thing?
Old 17th September 2011, 12:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Great. Was looking at Figo Titanium diesel and Fabia Elegance 1.6 petrol. Can you include these?
Also, attachments are not visible in. android app, I had to open browser. Can this be corrected?
I have included the Figo diesel. Petrol Hatches will be added soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Thanks Raj for this wholesome compilation.

Among the diesel hatchbacks, after going through the data, the two options that stand out are Ritz VDI and Figo Titanium; they come up tops for giving the biggest bang for the buck and for being VFM of the lot. Add airbags to Ritz and rear power windows for the Figo and they become much well-rounded packages.
I agree about the Ritz. But the Ritz missed out on a lot of basic features given the price... like rear wash/wipe, electric ORVMs, Airbags, etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks