Team-BHP - Segment wise Car Comparisons between the Rivals!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Segment wise Car Comparisons between the Rivals! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/107848-segment-wise-car-comparisons-between-rivals.html)

Dear friends, I have made a small excel sheet in which I have made some comparisons between cars of the same segment. Please note that segmentation is decided based on the pricing & class of the car.

This is not a comparison to prove which car is better, instead this is just a comparison of technical specifications & some basic features.

Before looking at the excel sheet, please note that-
1) Prices may vary a little, they are on-road in mumbai.
2) Acceleration timings are for representation purpose only & not intended to spark a debate!
3) Features vary depending on the segment

I have uploaded 3 excel sheets:
1) Entry Level SUV/MUV (7-15 lacs)
2) Executive Diesel Hatchbacks (6-9 lacs)
3) Entry level Luxury SUV/MUV (18-30 lacs)

There maybe some errors, please do point out!

Thanks for this! dunno if it requires a seperate thread though.

Btw, had a glance at the hatchback sheet, and found arguably the most competent hatch "The Jazz" missing. Please do add it. Or are you comparing only the diesels? Even the swift is missing from the comparo, and as far as i know, 6th gear in the i20 has been dropped.

Here is what I feel :

# Entry Level SUV/MUV:

1) It is interesting to note that the Grande has better power & torque figures than the Xylo, still the Xylo is much peppier. Maybe weight & gearing is the factor over here.
2) Many have claimed that the Bolero CRDe is a rocket, but figures say its the slowest over here. are we being unfair by comparing the bolero to the scorpio & safari?
3) The Xylo & Scorpio is far more peppier than the innova.
4) Innova is the only one to have Auto AC, but at a price.
5) Safari is the only one to have leather seats.
6) Bolero is the only one without rear AC & electrical ORVM!

# Executive Hatchbacks:

1) i20, Polo & Fabia is on the Honda City/Verna/Vento territory! Atleast the i20 is loaded to the gills, but cant say the same about the latter two.
2) Ritz offers maximum performance for the buck. Its the cheapest & the fastest, well almost! In-gear timings are much better than the most expensive car - i20!
3) Punto 90 hp, as FIAT claims, is the most powerful hatch but the performance figures are not worth mentioning! Thank GOD for its 3 cyl brothers, else it would have been the slowest here.
4) If we compare the i20 & Punto (90 hp brothers), the i20 has a much better 0-100 timing, but in-gear timings of the Punto are far superior.
5) Surprisingly, if you see the in-gear timings, which actually mean how fast or peppy the car feels in real world, it is the Vista which seems to be the fastest!
6) Beat offers Auto AC inspite of being so cheap.
7) No rear power windows even in top end of Figo.
8) i20 is the only car with electrical ORVM retract!
9) Rear Defogger & Wash/Wipe is a serious omission in the Ritz & Fabia.
10) Its a shame Ritz does not come with Airbags whereas i20 has 6 of them!

# Entry Level Luxury SUV/MUV:

1) Endy makes 153 hp from a 3.0 ltr engine, Pajero makes 107 hp from a 2.8 whereas santa fe makes 194 hp from a 2.2! Kudos Hyundai!
2) The X1 may not be the most powerful, but check out the acceleration & in-gear timings. Smokes the competition, no wonder its called BMW !!!
3) Santa Fe comes close in terms of 0-100 with the X1 with its 200 bhp monster diesel.
4) X1 does not have leather seats, rear AC vents nor electrical retract for ORVMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkyp (Post 2507117)
Btw, had a glance at the hatchback sheet, and found arguably the most competent hatch "The Jazz" missing. Please do add it. Or are you comparing only the diesels? Even the swift is missing from the comparo, and as far as i know, 6th gear in the i20 has been dropped.

Yes, I am comparing only diesel hatchbacks as of now.

Swift is not included as concrete performance figures of new Swift is yet to be published.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 2507154)
Here is what I feel :

# Entry Level Luxury SUV/MUV:

1) Endy makes 153 hp from a 3.0 ltr engine, Pajero makes 107 hp from a 2.8 whereas santa fe makes 194 hp from a 2.2! Kudos Hyundai!
2) The X1 may not be the most powerful, but check out the acceleration & in-gear timings. Smokes the competition, no wonder its called BMW !!!
3) Santa Fe comes close in terms of 0-100 with the X1 with its 200 bhp monster diesel.
4) X1 does not have leather seats, rear AC vents nor electrical retract for ORVMs.

Also its worth noting the negatively outlying performance of the Aria. The timing specs make it feel really slow among its competitors. Also the timing figures for Fortuner aren't so great either.

One thing I noted about Hyundai is that - Hyundai engines have good top end whack but their in gear figures are average.

raj_5004 thanks for your effort! :thumbs up; you could have added the kerb weight figures too.

I think those torques are in Kg-m not Nm

IMO.. The comparo 1 shows why Grande sales are so bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsteer (Post 2507175)
Also its worth noting the negatively outlying performance of the Aria. The timing specs make it feel really slow among its competitors. Also the timing figures for Fortuner aren't so great either.

Aria, I feel, can be excused as it is the cheapest vehicle out here, but the Fortuner cannot be.

Quote:

One thing I noted about Hyundai is that - Hyundai engines have good top end whack but their in gear figures are average.
+1.

Quote:

raj_5004 thanks for your effort! :thumbs up; you could have added the kerb weight figures too.
Keep adding your suggestions friends. I will keep updating it & repost it. Also, other segment charts are also being made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antz.bin (Post 2507219)
I think those torques are in Kg-m not Nm

IMO.. The comparo 1 shows why Grande sales are so bad.

I am so sorry. Yes, it is in kg-m.

Raj, nice initiative but a few corrections in respect of the X1 -

0-100km/h - 8.3 seconds
Leather Seats - Yes
ORVM Electrical Retract - Yes. In fact, they open out automatically beyond a certain speed if they are in the folded position when you start driving.

Btw, BMW do not classify the X1 as an SUV or an MUV - they call it an SAV (Sports Activity Vehicle)

@ Suman: Please excuse the timings. Different websites, magazines & articles post different timings. I take the most consistent one!

Also, I have not taken the top end of the X1 since its price was way above the range, as mentioned in the XL file.

By the way, ORVMs opening automatically is a cool feature, I dint know about it. Which means no foolish driver in a BMW (if any!) can drive with this mirrors closed! Or maybe they will have to close it again...

Nice comparison sheet.
If its Only Diesel hatchbacks you are considering, then the i20 neither has the 6 gears nor the 6 airbags anymore :) There is no Asta (o) variant for the Diesel.

What it does have though is the Rear disc brakes which none of the others have. Considering you have mentioned all the other features, you might want to consider adding this too.

The i20's in gear acceleration figures are hideous compared to all the other cars. Never knew it :)

Pretty good reference for a quick spec-sheet comparo. Nice work raj!

[quote=raj_5004;2507154
1) i20, Polo & Fabia is on the Honda City/Verna/Vento territory! Atleast the i20 is loaded to the gills, but cant say the same about the latter two.
2) Ritz offers maximum performance for the buck. Its the cheapest & the fastest, well almost!
3) Punto 90 hp, as FIAT claims, is the most powerful hatch but the performance figures are not worth mentioning.

Swift is not included as concrete performance figures of new Swift is yet to be published.[/QUOTE]

1) The i20 makes the Polo & Fabia look overpriced. The VAG cousins are in dire need of a better diesel motor and a bit more kit.

2) Ritz and Figo stand out as VFM all rounders. Maybe Maruti can add airbags on the Ritz feature list?

3) Punto 90 is a great car on paper. But the asking price is a touch on the higher side. Also the Fiat brand does not inspire confidence among the average car buyer.

Please do include the new Swift data as and when available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 2507624)
@ Suman: Please excuse the timings. Different websites, magazines & articles post different timings. I take the most consistent one!

Also, I have not taken the top end of the X1 since its price was way above the range, as mentioned in the XL file.

By the way, ORVMs opening automatically is a cool feature, I dint know about it. Which means no foolish driver in a BMW (if any!) can drive with this mirrors closed! Or maybe they will have to close it again...

Raj, which consistent one has posted the timing quoted by you? The X1 0-100 is just about seven-tenths slower that the 320d, which is 7.6. I can understand half a second here & there but more than a second off the actual timining is completely mis-leading, more so when you've quoted the Santa Fe to be almost as quick :D

Btw, I have the base X1, so I'm not talking about the top end one. And, you cannot close the ORVMs if you are beyond the speed where they open up.

Neat and very helpful information raj_5004. :)

Though most of us Bhpians knew many of these stats, some are really intriguing, especially when stacked against competitors like the way you have done!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 2507609)
Raj, nice initiative but a few corrections in respect of the X1 -

0-100km/h - 8.3 seconds
Leather Seats - Yes
ORVM Electrical Retract - Yes. In fact, they open out automatically beyond a certain speed if they are in the folded position when you start driving.

Btw, BMW do not classify the X1 as an SUV or an MUV - they call it an SAV (Sports Activity Vehicle)

Not to nitpick :p But its not leather, its artificial leather isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 2508256)
Not to nitpick :p But its not leather, its artificial leather isn't it?

Technically, correct ;)

Awesome mate !! I was actually looking for something like this today and you made it happens.

Thanks again.

Now, only if somebody could guide me which one of these three - Punto 90BHP or Linea Diesel or Linea TJET makes more sense to buy. :)

Cheers