Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:24   #1
BANNED

New compact Swift DZire on test

Note from Mod : GTO's Dzire Review has been uploaded here. Please continue the discussion on the review thread.

Source: Maruti Suzuki begins trial runs for compact Dzire - Home - livemint.com

Highlights:

"Maruti Suzuki India Ltd is testing the sub-4-metre car built on the Swift platform for introduction during the Delhi Auto Expo in January or even earlier, according to two company officials, who declined to be named.

The new sedan—known as Swift 3.99 among workers—is being developed at an investment of at least Rs.500 crore and may primarily be targeted at markets outside India as people in Europe and Latin America prefer smaller, fuel-efficient cars as the slowdown in the global economy reduces incomes.

There were at least 20 such cars including a few left-hand drives meant for overseas markets parked inside the plant.

“We have started the trial runs,” said an official at the plant, who did not want to be named and refused to share more details. A formal name for the car has not been decided.

“If the trial runs have started, then it is quite possible that we may see the car much before the Auto Expo,” said Shapur Kotwal, deputy editor, Autocar India magazine.

The car will be fitted with a 90 bhp engine in both petrol and diesel versions. The only major difference is a significant reduction in the boot space compared with the Swift Dzire. The interiors are somewhat similar to the new Swift.

The current ex-showroom price of the Dzire in Delhi is Rs.4.94 lakh. However, the compact Dzire is likely to be priced around Rs.4.49 lakh.

The shrinking of the Swift Dzire will also help Maruti Suzuki fend off competition from cheaper models such as Toyota Motor Corp.’s Etios and Tata Motors​ Ltd’s Indigo sedans at a time when higher interest rates on automobile loans have discouraged car buyers. At least 70% of Indians borrow to purchase cars."

My thoughts: "A formal name for the car has not been decided" means the current DZire and new compact one will co-exist!

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2012 at 15:47. Reason: Adding link to review thread
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: New compact Swift DZire on test

500 cr just to chomp the boot? We've seen many of them done for free on the accidents thread!! I like how these folks spend hundreds of crores on everything!!

most of that would be localization for other markets - not for india!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:39   #3
BHPian

Testing and showcasing this car is fine. I hope Maruti does not rush this car into the market too soon. They are already neck deep in trouble with labour issues and insanely long delivery periods for the new Swift. The compact DZire will further aggravate the situation. It will be wise to sort out existing troubles before launching any new products.

On the positive side, a 90HP diesel motor in this car is good news. So SX4 diesel sales can be expected to further drop.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 23rd September 2011 at 15:41.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Since when did Swift have a 90bhp motor?
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:52   #5
BANNED

Re-posting the Autocar scoop of the compact DZire:
Attached Thumbnails
New compact Swift DZire on test-newswiftdzirecs.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2011, 16:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^ The alloys indicate that its a ZXi/ZDI variant. I am quite keen to know how the car looks from rear angle.
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I liked it the first time I saw it I am hoping this would be costing a little lower than the SX4 and might even be a contender to the Honda City and the likes.

Now what I wish is 90bhp diesel on this and this to be super hot light weight Compact sedan.
So people who want the loads of boot space can opt for the SX4
Then the MPV Ertiga.
Those who are younger and want to have fun hatch can go for the SWIFT
People who want lower powered sedan can for Dzire and
People who want a fun,quick and young sedan can go for the Dzire CS or as I would like to call it the "Maruti Suzuki Leonine"
PS: just what I felt like calling it. Nothing official about it.
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

Instead of creating another butt-ugly cousin of the DZire, why not convert the new Swift design into a notchback (I'm think on the lines of Accent-Viva here). Would be a good compromise between a hatch and sedan.

But then, are there any takers for notch-backs in India?
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:41   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
as I would like to call it the "Maruti Suzuki Leonine"
My suggestion: Maruti Suzuki Swift Dazzle.
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously? That doesn't look like much of a boot. If that is all they could stretch the car and reached 3.99m, then I don't think the 500cr was worth it
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My thoughts: "A formal name for the car has not been decided" means the current DZire and new compact one will co-exist!
Yes, chances are there that both might co-exist.

New Dzire will be coming with reduced boot/reduced price and hence it may attract Swift customers or other hatch back customers looking for more boot space . Also, with reduced boot this car can't compete with Etios/Manza. Hence it is better to have current Dzire which is already way ahead of Etios/Manza based on the sales number.

Not sure whether they will come up with 90 bhp engine.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:30   #12
BHPian

This sub 4 meter car with a lesser cost is bound to attract a lot of tourist operators. The original dzire has already plenty of takers in that market, this will make them go crazy !
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The current ex-showroom price of the Dzire in Delhi is Rs.4.94 lakh. However, the compact Dzire is likely to be priced around Rs.4.49 lakh.
A Dzire CS at that price level would be a hard one to beat. The boot looks tiny though, even for compact sedan standards.

The current Dzire will be discontinued in all likelihood.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

I kinda like the shape, It seems that this boot is definitely more appealing aesthetically as compared to the bulbous shape on the older d'zire. Might be perfect for city users with the occassional airport trips. Hope they add a rear wiper and defogger, since its almost a hatchback with this boot, and yes, 500 crores seems to be a tad overpriced for this boot setup.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I kinda like the shape, It seems that this boot is definitely more appealing aesthetically as compared to the bulbous shape on the older d'zire. Might be perfect for city users with the occassional airport trips. Hope they add a rear wiper and defogger, since its almost a hatchback with this boot, and yes, 500 crores seems to be a tad overpriced for this boot setup.
+1 to that.. I think the quirky boot and the rear lamps are giving the car a character. Who knows Maruti might storm the segment.

I think 500Crore might be a little exaggerated but if Maruti is putting in a plant that will produce the swift/dzire and the Dzire compact. also intending to reduce the waiting period and cash in on the demand then 300-400crores is required I guess.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed