Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:03   #16
e46
BHPian

Re: New compact Swift DZire on test

Is it meant for India? Found in the original post, that its meant for US /UK countries.
Why not for us then?
As I see there would definitely be a lot no of people who would be interested in a Dzire Notchback!!
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:08   #17
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Re-posting the Autocar scoop of the compact DZire:
I could see the DDIS monicker and if those are to be believed as alloys, then its gotta be the ZDI variant. now thats exactly is MY car! never liked the Dzire and the rear part of the new Swift turns me off.

Abhishek
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say this product is a gamble. I am not so sure whether it will strike the chord. Since Dzire / Swift is not spacious inside, The Dzire made the high number of sales probably with the USP of a huge boot. Now when they reduce the boot size as well, not sure what will the USP be? And I never thought Dzire with 75PS was bad on power too. At least for me, Manza & Etios still make a lot of sense over this car as both are SPACIOUS inside & still have a big boot too. And I believe both have a much better ride comfort as well.
Old 24th September 2011, 00:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I would say this product is a gamble. I am not so sure whether it will strike the chord. Since Dzire / Swift is not spacious inside, The Dzire made the high number of sales probably with the USP of a huge boot. Now when they reduce the boot size as well, not sure what will the USP be? And I never thought Dzire with 75PS was bad on power too. At least for me, Manza & Etios still make a lot of sense over this car as both are SPACIOUS inside & still have a big boot too. And I believe both have a much better ride comfort as well.
Very true, one main reason for Dzire doing big numbers was the boot space and the tag "entry level sedan". But reducing the boot is not going to attract entry level sedan customers. If both the version co-exists then it might give more options to customers. Also, if current Dzire is discontinued then there will be a big gap between Dzire CS and SX4.

On there other hand even tata is bringing Manza CS with <4M at the same time they are advertising Vista as Sedan class. Strange! Hope etios is not taking this way.
Old 24th September 2011, 09:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about the practicality of this sedan based on the new Swift, but it can look more proportionate than the current DZire.

The main reason why the current DZire looks out of proportion is because of the bulky "Bangled" boot. A new compact boot will help the silhouette to a great degree.

The second reason is the hideous and perplexed rear door shut line of the current DZire. The shut lines of the rear door on the old Swift starts off from the roof and it was very difficult for Maruti to pull it off on a sedan. But the door shut lines of the new Swift is different and will be easier to make it look good on a sedan C pillar. I also hope Maruti change the shape of the tail lights. That inverted '7' doesn't suit a sedan.

A collection of very weird lines
New compact Swift DZire on test-maruti_suzuki_swift_dzire_32.jpg

See how the door shut lines start from the roof on the old Swift
New compact Swift DZire on test-20179_21478.jpg

And see how the door shut lines are different on the new Swift
New compact Swift DZire on test-2011suzukiswift61547.jpg

Pictures courtesy: Explore Profiles and Express your Opinions on People, Places, Trends and Events, Modified Cars | Show off your modified car tuning pictures!, Carscoop Blog
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 20:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Read in a Malayalam daily that Maruti has started production of test batches for the Dzire CS. Read its based on the new Swift.
Old 24th September 2011, 21:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
500 cr just to chomp the boot?
500 crore for developing the Dzire for EU/Latin American markets, including LHD models. That's what the company spokesman intended, it seems.
Old 24th September 2011, 21:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

If I compare the current prices, the new Swift ZDI costs Rs.6.42L ex-showroom (Cochin). The current Swift Dzire ZDI costs Rs.7.25L ex-showroom (Cochin). That leaves a price band of ~Rs.80K to place the new compact Swift Dzire. I think it may end up taking market share from either the Swift or the Swift Dzire. I don't think Maruti will be willing to price the new non-compact DZire (if there will be one) much higher when it comes because (a) it might affect the sales of SX4 and (b) Maruti haven't had much success with >Rs.8L cars anyway.

Besides, the new Swift itself is about 3850mm in length. That leaves only about 150mm to remain under 4m and add a boot. It's not going to be much of a boot. Given that the new Swift is short on boot space, if this car is going to be priced within 30K of the Swift, it might affect the Swift sales badly because (a) it will have a larger boot and (b) it's a 3-box car.
Old 30th September 2011, 00:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

While the Dzire CS may be launched soon, 90bhp VGT from the sx4 is ruled out for sure. The current car itself does not feel underpowered and there is no reason for maruti to spend extra there. Secondly how can the new CS version of the swift have 90bhp and still be priced below the 75bhp current dzire? Maruti is playing a dangerous game here. By bringing the new CS, it could lose some exisiting customers of its current dzire and also end up creating a feeling that the current dzire is a "OLD" car since the cs is based on the new swift. But they dont seem to have an option either. Ideally they should have worked on the regular dzire first, and then the CS version.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Autocar reported , a few issues back , that it will be available in India in 2012 and that the boot revamp was to allow for price benefits to the consumer as a result of the tax concessions that Maruti would get by pegging it under 4 meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Is it meant for India? Found in the original post, that its meant for US /UK countries.
Why not for us then?
As I see there would definitely be a lot no of people who would be interested in a Dzire Notchback!!
Old 30th September 2011, 12:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

+1 on the boot shape. It is surely smart looking even from the side shot. Come to think of it most of us do not require the boot on a regular basis. From personal experiences, if the boot could swallow 4 pieces of luggage of a decent size then it would be sufficient on most occassions. And yes the CS version seems to be out of the new Swift alright (see the swooping head lamps and door shut lines)

Wonder if the CS booted D Zire is a full boot or a notchback (the boot seems apt for a notchback) with the rear glass opening up with the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I kinda like the shape, It seems that this boot is definitely more appealing aesthetically as compared to the bulbous shape on the older d'zire. Might be perfect for city users with the occassional airport trips. Hope they add a rear wiper and defogger, since its almost a hatchback with this boot, and yes, 500 crores seems to be a tad overpriced for this boot setup.

Last edited by girishglg : 30th September 2011 at 12:39.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:49   #27
hvs
BHPian

Here are a few images of new DZire at bharathautos

2012 Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire Rendered Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.sidhes View Post
I have own swift diesel, but boring with hatchback.My question is if i book the swift DZire diesel (old model), can i get it new swift DZire CS? Because DZire waiting period is 6 -9 months for ZDi. any plan for launch ?
You can ask your local dealer if your present booking for old DZire can be changed to new one after its launch.I'm sure it can be.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd October 2011 at 21:58. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:45   #28
BHPian

I hope someone from the Swift 3.99 project is reading this port - the car is so ugly, it makes me want to cycle.

500 crore and Maruti comes up with this?!?!? Are you kidding me? It is astounding to see that the engineers at Maruti can't even be bothered to alter the front design to at least, at the very minimum, complement the rear.

One of the basic rules of car design and styling is to maintain curve direction (for simplicity sake - the more talented ones can define wild curves which mesh together). This design is abhorrent (if I'm being generous and polite), as the front has the stylized long sweep curve around the headlamps, and I'm sure from the front the shoulder of the car would seem intact, but the angle of the photo (thank you photographer) clearly demonstrates the jarring sudden curvature drop in the "boot".

Don't these guys take feedback from a control group before deciding on the shape of the car? Is it really that hard to get 30-40 indians to vote on whether they find the design appealing? C'mon Maruti, you are better than this. For the record, I hope this car is for the foreign market - it would be an eyesore on Indian roads.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs
Here are a few images of new DZire at bharathautos

2012 Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire Rendered Pictures
Hey, if the new Dzire CS actually ends up looking like this, then it looks good! Significantly better integrated boot, and a lower loading sill than the new Swift + decent (around 300L) boot will seriously make this a good option. Only hope there isn't too huge a price difference. Under 8.5L OTR for the ZDi in Bangalore, 15" wheels as standard across the range, wot?
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:34   #30
BHPian

The fact of the matter is that the boot, however big it is, is seldom used. However ugly the car looks, I doubt it can sink further than the nadir the Dzire touched. It will still do pretty darn well knowing the Indian consumer's love for all things Suzuki in the sub 6 lakh bracket.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed