Team-BHP - Karnataka - Tax for those parking cars outside home
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Karnataka - Tax for those parking cars outside home (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/108290-karnataka-tax-those-parking-cars-outside-home-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anujmishra (Post 2517459)
I appreciate atleast this move of Karnataka government. If one buy a car he should first make arrangements for his car inside his boundary wall. One should not be allowed to park the car on road and make inconvenience to fellow road users.

I do not see wrong in it. Only in Bangalore i saw people build house without parking space even for a bike and they encroach roads in front of their house for parking. Nice Move.

I agree. I have always believed that someone who can pay lakhs to buy a car should have no issues paying money to park it. What however really bugs me daily is the amount of road tax we have to cough up for probably one of the worst city roads I have come across. I sold my petrol car recently and now travel by a 2-wheeler until i decide on a diesel replacement. In this period, I have felt every god-damn bump on the road (if you could call it a road) during every second of my commute, and I have a really sore back.

There has to be some justification that the KA Govt. must have for charging probably the highest road tax in the country. I guess KA is showing an appetite for mining - on road and off road.

Good move if it gets implemented. Atleast the pedestrian footpaths will get freed up, since that is the single largest space that gets taken in. Lot of folks actually have the audacity to mark up such areas (footpaths) as their reserved parking space as though it belongs to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anujmishra (Post 2517543)
I feel you are not parking at road and doing no wrong. You will be having parking space at Manipal that suffice. I hope this law not apply to visitors. This law should be for those who always park in front of their house.

I am not parking on street anywhere. But if I am to buy a new car, they can only check the address used for registration, and not where I will be really parking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2517537)
Fine sentiment behind the law. But how are they going to enforce it? Will they do parking spot inspections? How will they know same spot is not claimed by multiple car owners?

Anyway, KA government is the master of making laws without a clue about enforcement practicality. Expect lots of chaos.

Consider this:

My i10 is registered to Manipal address but parked in Bangalore.
My GV is registered to Manipal address but parked in Manipal and Bangalore. (50:50)
My Jeep is registered to my home address, but parked permanently in my office.

What kind of logic will they use in such cases?

We are neighbors to the local corporator. The way it is being thought about is that parking vouchers will be sold like stamp paper via State Bank of Mysore. People parking on road in night will have to buy and stick it in their windshield, else vehicle is liable to fined and towed.

Not sure if this is implementable, especially if they are proposing a fee of Rs. 50, as the cost of collecting might be higher than the actual tax collected.

There are too many open questions which like all politicians they have skirted
- What happens if I visit and stay at my friend's place overnight? Will I have to pay the fee too, even if I might have a regular parking at home.
- What about vehicles registered outside Bangalore?
- What about commercial vehicles and two-wheelers.

While I support the intent of the law wholeheartedly, but like most Indian laws this seems to be badly designed and looks set to be even worse when implemented.

they should make hourly parking points like europe, and multistorey parkings in all areas like for koramangala 5th block one multistorey. This would also lead to less car buying

Not sure if this is already become a law or still under consideration, as far as i remember reading this is not yet a law and the and the chances are it wont be able to see the light of the day because there are too many loop holes in implementing this effectively. The intent is good but will fail in implementation.

I see houses which were built to maximize returns for the landlord and the owner takes shortcuts in terms of not providing parking place, there is hardly any space left in between two houses no chance if fresh air or light coming in. I guess this would at least encourage people to build better houses with all basic amenities.

the govt would be better off implementing the laws on building violations and zoning first.
most builders flout all these norms blatantly

Another half baked idea by our Govt. Instead of all these antics, why can't they improve the public infrastructure as a priority. Why is there a constant delay in starting Metro operations? No one wants to answer such questions. Instead, just tax the people and use it to fill their own coffers.

For the tax paid, will they provide security for the cars parked on the roads?

P.S: I have a proper parking space for my car.

yes. people build houses/ mini apartment blocks on 30x40 and 60x40 sites but build atleast 3 - 4 floors. they live in the lowest portion and lease out each of the other floors.
Hence a site which was originally designed and envisaged for one small family or mid sized joint family, ends up accommodating 3-4 such families and their paraphernalia and their multi vehicles. Not to mention that it puts a great strain on the water resources and other things in the area.
Naturally there will be a corollary of parking spill over onto the roads.
In most cases the chaps who own the building barely leave enough space for one car, let alone two. And each family has at least 2 vehicles!

then, whenever there is a function or something at the owners house, they simply erect a shamiana on the public road and occupy it as if it is their birthright. All the visitors to the function come along in their super fancy cars and block every approach by parking in a haphazard manner.

I think the govt needs to get its priorities and enforcement of basic laws right at first. They also need to provide proper public transport infrastructure - with last mile connectivity and/ or park and ride facilities. If one can be sure of this last mile connectivity and of being able to travel in good quality, clean, non crowded public transport then one would certainly do so, leaving ones vehicle at home, to be used only for out station trips!

Simple common sense is not something our government has been very strong at, all along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2517531)
There are thousands (maybe much more) of independent houses in B'lore which have multiple floors and parking area sufficient only for a M800.

The proposal is good, no doubt, but it will not solve the problem. Will people stop having cars or stop living in such houses? No!

Houses with parking facility are sure going to cost a premium *if* this proposal comes into effect.

While sanctioning housing plans itself, they should ensure there is sufficient parking for 150% of the no. of flats in the building.

This should force those people to park inside their compound. These people park their cars on the road even when they have parking space inside the compound. This will solve the road space problem to some extent.