Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:58   #1
BHPian

Karnataka - Tax for those parking cars outside home

BHPians,

Based on the tweet from Siddharth Patnakar, NDTV:

Karnataka government to tax people parking cars outside their homes. Also, henceforth one won't be able to register the car without a parking space..!!

Do you think the government is rational to its citizents? Isn't the responsibility to ensure adequate infrastructure are provided to the income tax payers than charging a tax on napkins to coffins..!!!
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka - Tax for those parking cars outside home

Wasn't this in the news a few months ago? The proposal didn't gather much steam, it just fizzled out.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate atleast this move of Karnataka government. If one buy a car he should first make arrangements for his car inside his boundary wall. One should not be allowed to park the car on road and make inconvenience to fellow road users.

I do not see wrong in it. Only in Bangalore i saw people build house without parking space even for a bike and they encroach roads in front of their house for parking. Nice Move.

Last edited by anujmishra : 23rd September 2011 at 19:17.
anujmishra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I welcome this. Such a rule will force the landlords to build better houses with parking spaces. Am sure this also will lead to added premium for parking rates when we want to rent a house. But all in all, a good move I guess.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I appreciate atleast this move of Karnataka government. If one buy a car he should first make arrangements for his car inside his boundary wall. One should not be allowed to park the car on road and make inconvenience to fellow road users.

I do not see wrong in it. Only in Bangalore i saw people build house without parking space even for a bike and they encroach roads in front of their house for parking. Nice Move.
Totally agree. There are narrow roads in the residential areas which are not designed to accommodate parked cars on either sides. It is a nightmare to drive because if there is a oncoming vehicle, there is no space to give way.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:32   #6
BHPian

Very good move, but what happens if you are visiting a friend's house who does not have a parking? you will park out side his house only, then what?
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:44   #7
BHPian

The road in front of my home has shrunk by over 4 feet(on either side) due to encroachments in just four years!
This was not a problem as cars were few in our street ten years ago(been living here since day1 of my 18 year life!)
Even i have started parking outside now as a new car has entered the vicinity which unfortunately is parked right in front of our small gate and i cannot take my scoot out as our gate is barely three feet wide and despite my requests' they refuse and say that they have nowhere else to park!
Hope this is effectively implemented as implementation is where we(citizens and officials) are slouches.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Very good move, but what happens if you are visiting a friend's house who does not have a parking? you will park out side his house only, then what?
That is not permanent parking. Your will be there for few hours and go back. Right now no friends visits anyone's house because of lack of parking space for them.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:02   #9
BHPian

@asdon: agree

Also, how do the goverment ensure that this law is implemented the way they want it to be? Are they going to approach each vehicle owner in Bangalore (i assume Karnataka means Bangalore for this law) and ask do you have a designated parking space? if no, pay tax from next month?? What about other state registered vehicles using Bangalore infra?
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:09   #10
Team-BHP Support

There are thousands (maybe much more) of independent houses in B'lore which have multiple floors and parking area sufficient only for a M800.

The proposal is good, no doubt, but it will not solve the problem. Will people stop having cars or stop living in such houses? No!

Houses with parking facility are sure going to cost a premium *if* this proposal comes into effect.

While sanctioning housing plans itself, they should ensure there is sufficient parking for 150% of the no. of flats in the building.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
That is not permanent parking. Your will be there for few hours and go back. Right now no friends visits anyone's house because of lack of parking space for them.
Yes, but you never know these officials in Karnataka, they go to private parkings in side offices to find out of state cars, they can do any thing. if you are at your firnd's place for half a day and that is the day the tax guys visiting that area, they can spoil the party for sometime.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

Fine sentiment behind the law. But how are they going to enforce it? Will they do parking spot inspections? How will they know same spot is not claimed by multiple car owners?

Anyway, KA government is the master of making laws without a clue about enforcement practicality. Expect lots of chaos.

Consider this:

My i10 is registered to Manipal address but parked in Bangalore.
My GV is registered to Manipal address but parked in Manipal and Bangalore. (50:50)
My Jeep is registered to my home address, but parked permanently in my office.

What kind of logic will they use in such cases?
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My i10 is registered to Manipal address but parked in Bangalore.
My GV is registered to Manipal address but parked in Manipal and Bangalore. (50:50)
My Jeep is registered to my home address, but parked permanently in my office.

What kind of logic will they use in such cases?
I feel you are not parking at road and doing no wrong. You will be having parking space at Manipal that suffice. I hope this law not apply to visitors. This law should be for those who always park in front of their house.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Tax amount proposed is Rs 50 per month. That is equal to traveling ~8Km in a petrol car. This tax won't deter anybody from parking on road.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:24   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The moot point is that the government can enforce any kind of laws. Seldom do the critics win, even if PIL's are filed these days.
I wish to give an instance. In Gangtok parking space comes at a premium as its hilly and most residential places have uphill or downhill roads.Residents (they are locals and not outsiders) merrily park their cars outside their houses on the sloping roads on either sides.The road tarmac is prohibited for parking and one may park cars at the road edges not encroaching upon the tarmac on such roads.
One fine, early morning while on a walk, I found two policemen on a bike with at least 20 plus jammers. They quickly applied the jammers to all the wrongly parked cars and vroomed away the place.
Thats the way the enforcement people work.The laws are made. Bosses receive the circulars from their headquarters.Then they wake up and tell their subordinates about the minimum number of cases to be booked as weekly /fortnightly / monthly targets.
Its anybody's guess as to how the inspectors or the tax/fine collectors enforce and get their "dues"?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd September 2011 at 20:26.

Most Viewed