Team-BHP - Whats the Truth behind Diesel Cars!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Whats the Truth behind Diesel Cars! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/108317-whats-truth-behind-diesel-cars.html)

Hi Team,
Now days there lot of fuss going on Diesel cars and mileage, with small cars getting affordable diesel under the hood. But are they really affordable, After paying a lakh and half extra and more over interest on extra loan i still have to pay for diesel. The only game is my Diesel fill up per tank is Rs 2000 less but my EMI is Rs 2000 more.

I am not against diesel and i do not want to compare about the level off time from where you can take advantage of diesel which has been spoken extensively before. I am just trying to analyse weather it may be good for us to go for diesel car in future. Just wanted to share few points.

I had given my Getz 1.1 prime petrol for service, The total bill came to 20k, This was a major 30K service.
Major part to be changed was driveshaft which costs Rs 7000. Now the service adviser said the parts for Getz Diesel CRDI was double of the petrol and the driveshaft of diesel costs 13K. He also said for diesel all the engine components are costlier than the petrol siblings. Drive shafts are costlier for diesel because they produce more torgue. Now dont tell me parts are cheaper outside other than OEM, i am just comparing apples with apples.

So i came to a point that if i buy a new diesel and it becomes 4 years old, by that time i start taking advantage of diesel, my warranty goes kaput and also my car will be aged and need regular parts changed, its gonna be hell of a price that i need to pay for parts. So what do i do sell it of and buy another diesel?

Then just think if there are only diesel cars in the road in cities, just think about the pollution and noise db levels of the city. I am sure Diesel pollutes more than petrol, can some body compare how much more a similar diesel car pollutes than petrol. On one side they launch a hybrid car to save environment and on another hand government sells lakhs and lakhs of diesel cars. If i am not wrong is it not that diesel cars are not used in the US and only in Europe.

I am really starting to think over if Diesel apart from the money saving(if one is able to achieve) will do anything good for the environment.

Financially speaking, diesel makes sense inspite of higher initial cost & allegedly higher maintenance cost. You seem to be forgetting that -

- Diesel engines give approx 20 - 30% higher fuel economy (for the same model car). When you consider that diesel is 30 - 35% cheaper than petrol, your net running costs could turn out to be half that of equivalent petrol.

- Diesel cars depreciate less. When its time to sell your car, you will get a lot higher amount than the equivalent petrol sibling. The difference is huge when you go higher up the segment (> Rs. 10 lac category). According to me, diesel cars make sense (financially) even if the monthly running is less than the often quoted figure of "1,500 km/month" - thanks to lower depreciation.

This is already discussed in details in following thread - The financial Truth: Petrol vs Diesel

Thread Closed