Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Santa Fe launched with Automatic Transmission

I was more coming from the pricing angle. Just looked up a comparison website and I see BMW X1 sDrive20d and Santa Fe at 24,63,xxx (Avg. Ex-Showroom Price). The X-Trail is at 26,66,xxx. I personally think it's between these three or four (if the CR-V should be included) so, potential owners, take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy83 View Post
Also, on another note - how many of you are fans of automatic transmission on a SUV?
I am. More from a "why not?" perception. It's a boon within the city! Also during the two times I have been actually offroad recently (mild slush and beach) I had absolutely no issues with it.

PS: Anarchy83: couldn't PM you; nice Endy you have there!
Old 27th September 2011, 15:37   #17
BHPian

@ssh1979 - Thank you for the Endy comment, kind sir. Sorry about the PM not happening - I am a newbie and yet to prove my salt and worth. I can't wait to post garage pics (there are a few changes to the truck).

As for the automatic shift - I agree, in the city there are definitely distinct advantages. Specially, if one does not want to develop a carpal "foot" syndrome like disorder. Having said that, in bad terrain (read Masinagudi jungle during monsoon), I felt completely empowered with the manual shift.
Old 28th September 2011, 00:25   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I was wondering if the SantaFe had really been launched as i hadn't seen one even after 4 months of launch. Finally saw a couple of SantFes in the last few days. It seriously lacks road presence IMO. The front look tacky/weird. The rear looks cute(shouldn't SUVs look more macho?). BTW,i loved those tail lamps though they look like after markets
Old 28th September 2011, 20:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
@ssh1979 - Thank you for the Endy comment, kind sir. Sorry about the PM not happening - I am a newbie and yet to prove my salt and worth. I can't wait to post garage pics (there are a few changes to the truck).

As for the automatic shift - I agree, in the city there are definitely distinct advantages. Specially, if one does not want to develop a carpal "foot" syndrome like disorder. Having said that, in bad terrain (read Masinagudi jungle during monsoon), I felt completely empowered with the manual shift.
I thought all auto boxes had the option of a manual override too? especially in a SUV. Mine has, Pretty useful too.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:44   #20
BHPian

Is that so? I had no idea. My Endy is a manual box, so don't know if the auto-box has the manual override option. As far as I know (when I was looking through the Endy stables), no-one mentioned this option. But how would this work anyways? I'm slightly confused - do you have a separate gear for Manual override?

Is there any Automatic shift Endy owner here on the forum who can confirm that the Endy does not have a manual override option?
Old 29th September 2011, 12:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Is that so? I had no idea. My Endy is a manual box, so don't know if the auto-box has the manual override option. As far as I know (when I was looking through the Endy stables), no-one mentioned this option. But how would this work anyways? I'm slightly confused - do you have a separate gear for Manual override?

Is there any Automatic shift Endy owner here on the forum who can confirm that the Endy does not have a manual override option?
Mine is the AT Endy. It is a 5 speed automatic, with the 5th being the OD. It has gear limiters 1, 2 and 3. I'm not sure you can call this a manual override.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Mine is the AT Endy. It is a 5 speed automatic, with the 5th being the OD. It has gear limiters 1, 2 and 3. I'm not sure you can call this a manual override.

Gear Limiters are not Manual Override, Override is one suppose you are in 5 th gear suddenly if you want to come to 4th gear. In my Honda city there is paddle shift for this Override. For this santafe i see Manual Override with + and - .
Old 29th September 2011, 15:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
ssh1979 - Well, well, well...you're an Endy owner as well. Brilliant looking car mate. "Shiny" comes to mind. Peeked through your garage a little earlier.

Back to the topic...are we talking about paddle shifts to override the automatic transmission? Which SUV comes with paddle shifts in India?
Old 29th September 2011, 20:18   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Gear Limiters are not Manual Override, Override is one suppose you are in 5 th gear suddenly if you want to come to 4th gear. In my Honda city there is paddle shift for this Override. For this santafe i see Manual Override with + and - .
That would be kickdown and not override I think. In a car without paddle shifts and even in the City if you do not want to use paddle shifts if you press the accelerator in a bit more it will shift down to 4th.

Quote:
That can be called manual override since it will not switch out of those gears.

Quote:
ssh1979 - Well, well, well...you're an Endy owner as well. Brilliant looking car mate. "Shiny" comes to mind. Peeked through your garage a little earlier.

Back to the topic...are we talking about paddle shifts to override the automatic transmission? Which SUV comes with paddle shifts in India?
No not paddle shifts, though the Outlander does have paddle shifts. Either the suv will have a tiptronic function, or it will have 3,2,1/L after D on the gearbox. Those work if the car is to be kept in a lower gear for engine braking or for offroading.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks