Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 14:38   #61
vij
BHPian

Re: Mini Cooper Coming to India!!

Waiting for some official details on price. The price quoted above is good but I'm not sure if we will get such good prices as it's a cbu.
Old 19th December 2011, 23:12   #62
vij
BHPian

BMW isnt bringing their Mini One here are they?
Old 26th December 2011, 18:41   #63
vij
BHPian

Have set aside 20 big ones for this. Fingers crossed. Anything over that 'on road price' and I am bailing out(I think). Hope Mini One is coming to India.
Old 28th December 2011, 22:30   #64
BHPian

hi guys my brother managed to get this today.

ARSC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 23:08   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
hi guys my brother managed to get this today.
Thanks! I feel the Countryman will do really well in India, if priced around 25 lakhs.
Old 29th December 2011, 01:32   #66
Team-BHP Support

Isn't the Mini Countryman and the Maruti Suzuki Eritga, in theory and essence, the same genre of car, if I may? A hatchback which is large enough to feature a 3rd row of seats. A mini-MPV of sorts?

There are bound to be similar comparisons in India. I personally know several people who have compared the Swift and the Mini.

I like the Countryman as a car by itself, but it doesn't give you that 'Mini' vibe when you look at it. It's got those trademark design-elements, yes. But there is nothing really Mini about it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th December 2011 at 01:34.
Old 29th December 2011, 07:43   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Isn't the Mini Countryman and the Maruti Suzuki Eritga, in theory and essence, the same genre of car, if I may? A hatchback which is large enough to feature a 3rd row of seats. A mini-MPV of sorts?
I like the Countryman as a car by itself, but it doesn't give you that 'Mini' vibe when you look at it. It's got those trademark design-elements, yes. But there is nothing really Mini about it.
The closest comparison to Countryman is the Yeti (in our market) or the X1 xDrive – almost similar dimensions and good to seat 5 (or 4 based on the interior trim). It’s a not-so-mini crossover with some bit of practicality thrown in. Yes, there is nothing Mini about the Countryman, but it’s quite a nice car. They have managed to retain the Mini DNA to an extent. And there is absolutely no room for 3rd row of seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
There are bound to be similar comparisons in India. I personally know several people who have compared the Swift and the Mini.
Swift’s inspiration is quite evident, even in the way it drives
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 13:35   #68
vij
BHPian

I just cant understand the theory that BMW is aiming for nothing but 'brand image' and is not looking at sale numbers - and so they don't care pricing it decently.

Mini doesnt have the BMW badge - its going have separate showrooms et al, so it has to stand on its own. Its not like Beetle or Fiat 500 in that sense.

Last edited by vij : 29th December 2011 at 13:51.
Old 29th December 2011, 22:20   #69
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks! I feel the Countryman will do really well in India, if priced around 25 lakhs.
Atleast the Mini has a distinct appeal, but the countryman, although more practical - is a crossover without that identity - but one is forced to consider the X1 when it comes to the Countryman.

Worldwide the basic BMW X1 is whole lot more expensive than the basic Countryman but in India the countryman is probably going to be more expensive than the X1. The Germans must be laughing their guts off seeing Indians skipping the X1 with the BMW badge and opting for the lesser Countryman with the Mini badge. Its a lesser vehicle with the lesser badge but to Indians its going to cost more

Last edited by vij : 29th December 2011 at 22:39.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

The Mini Countryman looks really unique and if priced at 20L, it might do quite well for itself. I am aware that its a lesser brand and a lesser vehicle for what we would be paying, especially so when seen with the new BMW X1. But it is something unique, a car that you would buy from the heart, not from the mind. I love the Countryman for that
Old 30th December 2011, 11:35   #71
Senior - BHPian

I had a word with a friend of mine who is in the Mini division. BMW has not released prices of the cars even to them yet. There are six cars which are currently in Delhi for the Auto Expo and that is where the launch and pricing shall be revealed. So till then we are only speculating on the pricing of these cars. I am looking forward to the Mini convertible but if its not priced right i would rather get a second hand E46 M3 conv. Mini's would have a stand alone showroom but without the right pricing they would be novelty items adorning the showroom windows more than the streets. Lets hope they are within reach of the Mini Fans.
Old 30th December 2011, 15:56   #72
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The Mini Countryman looks really unique and if priced at 20L, it might do quite well for itself. I am aware that its a lesser brand and a lesser vehicle for what we would be paying, especially so when seen with the new BMW X1. But it is something unique, a car that you would buy from the heart, not from the mind. I love the Countryman for that
I agree with you - at 20L it makes sense - but its wishful thinking considering its coming as a CBU. Isnt it about 23000$ - that will make it around 50,000$ as a CBU - roughly 26L ex-showroom - meaning "30L on road price" waiting for potential fools as buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Mini's would have a stand alone showroom but without the right pricing they would be novelty items adorning the showroom windows more than the streets. Lets hope they are within reach of the Mini Fans.
Very true!

Last edited by vij : 30th December 2011 at 16:14.
Old 30th December 2011, 16:21   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Isnt it about 23000$ - that will make it around 50,000$ as a CBU - roughly 26L ex-showroom - meaning "30L on road price" waiting for potential fools as buyers.
IMO, it’s a bit extreme to brand the buyers as ‘fools’. BMW know our market quite well, and they are bringing in the Mini as a niche brand. CBU or not, I guess it’s fantastic for the Indian buyers to have one more choice to consider. And Mini by itself is not a cheap brand.
Old 30th December 2011, 16:29   #74
vij
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, it’s a bit extreme to brand the buyers as ‘fools’.
Agree. There will always be buyers with good reasons.

Quote:
CBU or not, I guess it’s fantastic for the Indian buyers to have one more choice to consider. And Mini by itself is not a cheap brand.
Its not cheap - but we all know, as a CBU, the price is compounded and it becomes almost unreasonable. I wouldnt have brought this topic up if the parent manufacturer(BMW) did not have a superior offering in X1(viz size, brand, vehicle, reliability) at a better price point to Countryman(probably going to cost close to 30L on road).

Its as if Toyota is selling the fortuner for 22L and then introduces the Innova at 30L and calls it "offering more options". Not done! Its not the right comparison, but I had to drive the point across.

I know you will say "Mini is unique" - It sure is and at 20L it will still make for good buy for some. But the "Countryman" is different. If its going to be 30L on road sitting beside the BMW X1 - it feels wrong - the world knows it - so the hierarchy is right worldwide - X1 > Countryman.

Last edited by vij : 30th December 2011 at 16:39.
Old 30th December 2011, 17:06   #75
Team-BHP Support

I've always been fond of the Mini Cooper!

However, the pricing needs to be bang-on; else we'll have another Beetle-like situation at hand with only a few cars around.

Also, the Indian-special episode of Top Gear that was aired recently showed how regularly Hammond's Mini scraped Mumbai's roads. The roads they drove on were much much better than roads elsewhere so you can imagine what would happen to the belly.

They'd need to customize the car really appropriately for India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed