Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mini Cooper Coming to India!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Also, the Indian-special episode of Top Gear that was aired recently showed how regularly Hammond's Mini scraped Mumbai's roads. The roads they drove on were much much better than roads elsewhere so you can imagine what would happen to the belly.
Libranof the car used is the classic Mini. My friend has the same car and i have a clubman from the same year, both the cars have never scrapped their bellys unless offcourse you go over the really tall speed breakers carrying speed. In city driving the car does not touch anywhere and its a pleasure to drive. On tv shows like this they never bother about how they drive the car cause its not owned by them, the producer or the channel will have the car fixed or have another car waiting for them. The new mini is also in the house and that does not scrape either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The Mini drove by Hammond was the classic one from the old generation, and I found the scraping part a bit exaggerated. I don’t expect the current Mini to have any GC issues in India. The regular Mini’s short wheelbase and super-tight suspension will take care of that part, and the Countryman has got almost an SUV-ish stance.
, Having both Generations of the Mini i dont find them difficult to live with and use in all sorts of conditions. Its like a swift on the road and the countryman like the Skoda Yeti for GC comparrision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
That site's been there for weeks now. I dont see mention of Mini One - the reason why I have doubts on its launch.
I think they would mention the more glamourous cars on the sites and list. In India even the Mini Cooper S is a Mini, so Mini One would have people wondering.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:46   #92

Anyone who is considering a Mini in India really does not have practicality in mind. If one did, the Swift would be a better choice - and at one fifth the price (or thereabouts).

But then try to get the performance of the Mini from the Swift! Anyone who has driven the Mini (particularly the S) will appreciate how it immediately appeals to the heart. It brings out the child in us, and a first drive will invariably have one grinning from ear to ear. The car wants to go places, and it shows. The nearest comparison I can think of is a hyperactive labrador retriever puppy.

IMHO the Mini would be the nearest that one could get a somewhat sports car - like performance from a small car this side of 50 lakhs.

It's not practical. It's expensive. It's really only a two seater.
It just happens to be a LOT of fun.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:45   #93
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Condor View Post
IMHO the Mini would be the nearest that one could get a somewhat sports car - like performance from a small car this side of 50 lakhs.

It's not practical. It's expensive. It's really only a two seater.
It just happens to be a LOT of fun.

Kickass driving and the Souped up Cooper S kept up very well on the corners!

Last edited by vij : 3rd January 2012 at 22:50.
Old 4th January 2012, 06:57   #94

Kickass driving and the Souped up Cooper S kept up very well on the corners![/quote]

Dunno if it is really fair to pit a Cooper against a Porsche. After all, they are two completely different beasts. Impressive that the Mini holds its own in such a situation.
Old 4th January 2012, 09:35   #95
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Condor View Post
Kickass driving and the Souped up Cooper S kept up very well on the corners!

Dunno if it is really fair to pit a Cooper against a Porsche. After all, they are two completely different beasts. Impressive that the Mini holds its own in such a situation.
Thats a Cooper 'S' and a modded one at that. Also, if you put a good driver on a track that is curvy with plenty of turns then the Cooper S should have a chance.

Last edited by vij : 4th January 2012 at 09:36.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:33   #96
Team-BHP Support

Assuming that the Mini being driven is the '07 or '08 Cooper S, it should produce close to 270 horsepower in that state of tune (stage-4 power-package).

And in comparison, that is a 993 type 911, and it looks like a Carrera to me. It should be good for about 285 horsepower in its stock state of tune, and assuming that it has some mods, you could round off that figure to 300. That said, it's an old air-cooled car from the '90s when compared to that modern Mini engine, and older cars don't generally perform exactly like how they used to when they were new. It might have lost some of that horsepower, depending on how much it has been flogged.

You could still rate it at 285 horses, and it would still be an even contest. WHile the Porsche has RWD which is better, the Mini isn't bad on the track at all as it's a very well sorted handler despite being FWD. And it should be lighter than the Porsche too.

So it would be quite a good contest to watch.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:58   #97
Senior - BHPian

Finally Mini India site is live

MINI.in - Home page

Just read this on Autocar India

Autocar India
Mini India prices: Cooper: Rs 24.9 lakh, Cooper S Rs 27.9 lakh, Convertible Rs 29.9 lakh, Countryman Rs 31.99 lakh

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 5th January 2012 at 18:07.
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 18:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Launched at the following prices:

Mini Cooper- Rs 24.9 lakh
Mini Cooper S - Rs 27.9 lakh.
Mini Convertible - Rs 29.99 lakh
Mini Cooper S Countryman - Rs 31.99 lakh.
theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 18:50   #99
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

So 28L OTR for the Mini Cooper and 35L OTR for Countryman. Wow! I am out!!!

Last edited by vij : 5th January 2012 at 18:52.
Old 5th January 2012, 19:14   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Wow, quite steep indeed. Any idea if the Cooper S Countryman is AWD?
Old 5th January 2012, 19:46   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
So 28L OTR for the Mini Cooper and 35L OTR for Countryman. Wow! I am out!!!
So am I. It should really have been priced at 16lakhs onwards.
i was pretty certain on booking one ASAP.
and they will never get numbers that will encourage them to setup a plant here in India, so I guess, it will always remain a dream. maybe when I have enough money to buy it as a 3rd car.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:00   #102
Senior - BHPian

Pretty much the exact pricing I had since few months, do read my previous BMW India threads I always tried to prepare everyone here for the high price until the end of 2013'

Don't let go of your dreams they have bigger plans let them start, also with the arrival of new mini next year a lot of you will have your wishes come true for better pricing.

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 21:56   #103

I'd like opinions on whether the Countryman is a better bet than the Cooper S. The higher ground clearance on the Countryman sounds better, but the longer wheelbase partly negates the advantage. Practically speaking, will the lower ground clearance of the S make a difference? Don't really need the extra space do the Countryman. Rather have the performance.
Old 7th January 2012, 01:13   #104
BHPian

I think that since you want performance over the extra space and ground clearance, you should consider the Cooper S rather than the Countryman.
The Countryman is the SUV version of the Mini Cooper so to speak, and the grip, and fast manouverability of the Cooper S will satisfy your requirements better than the Countryman. The Countryman, being a slightly bigger vehicle has more body roll around corners. As compared to a Mini. Does not mean that its a Scorpio. This is purely my opinion, and I am not really an expert, but having seen some videos on both the cars, I think that if you are buying a Mini because its a Mini, then the Cooper S it is.

Read this for a more detailed drive experience.
2011 Mini Cooper Countryman: Is Bigger Better? - Kelley Blue Book
Old 7th January 2012, 13:38   #105
Senior - BHPian

I recieved a mail from Mini yesterday with the spec sheet for the range. The Booking amount is Rs 10 Lakhs and deliveries to start in June.

I am attaching the pdf files sent to me for everyone to see. Sorry but dont know how to convert it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R56_SpecSheet_Black&White.pdf (164.3 KB, 484 views)
File Type: pdf MINI_Convertible_Spec_sheet_Black&White.pdf (164.5 KB, 570 views)
File Type: pdf MINI_Contryman_Spec_sheet_Black&White.pdf (178.7 KB, 392 views)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks