Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 15:24   #1
BHPian

Ridiculous court ruling : Court fines Tata because of "missing" features

Source : Missing features: Car co told to pay Rs 10,000 compensation - The Times of India
Quote:

The district consumer forum has directed Tata Motors to pay a compensation of Rs 10,000 and Rs 3,000 as litigation charges to a city resident for failing to provide all features in a car sold to her.
Urmil Chabra, a resident of Civil City Chander Nagar, through her counsel, had told the forum that she had booked a Tata Nano Cx car with Tata Motors after paying the booking amount of Rs 1.20 lakh through a demand draft. A letter of allotment was issued to her with a promise to deliver the vehicle within a specified period of July to September 2009 through Dada Motors.

But, the car was delivered to her after much delay on December 2009. She said what shocked her was that the car was deficient of many features mentioned in the service booklet. These included trip meter reset knob, trip meter odometer, antiglare inner view mirror, utility pockets for magazines and books and rear seat belts that are mandatory as per the safety norms on page numbers 15, 18, 31, 33 and 43 of the manual.

Three complaints were sent to the company through e-mails written on December 26, 2009, January 22 and May 14, 2010, but these remained unanswered. Later, she sent a legal notice on June 15, 2010. The company replied to it saying the missing features are a part of Tata Nano Lx and not Cx.

She then moved the forum, seeking that her "defective'' car be replaced or missing features be installed.

In a written reply to the forum, Tata company denied the charges. Dada motors too denied the allegations levelled against the companies. After going through the evidence, the forum allowed the complaint and directed the company to comply with the orders in 45 days of the receipt of the copy of orders.
Old 27th September 2011, 15:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata going the Skoda way?

Thats really bad for Tata brand.

When the company replied that the missing features were a part of Lx variant didn't they check that the consumer had actually booked a Cx variant, thereby indirectly agreeing to their mistake. Or was the lady given a Lx variant with Cx badging.

Anyways, Tata need to work on their brand image which is getting tarnished regularly. first it was Nano catching fire and now this.
Old 27th September 2011, 15:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't know whether to believe it or not! Parts/components being faulty is heard of. But skipping the features of the car itself!! Of the ones mentioned above seat belts,antiglare inner view mirror might have been skipped due to workers carelessness. But trip meter reset knob? Ain't they come as one instrument cluster which is to be fit? Something is amiss, the pieces don't fit in.
Old 27th September 2011, 16:31   #4
BHPian

Haven't Vento buyers been complaining of missing features in this forum itself?
Old 27th September 2011, 16:56   #5
BHPian

Rear seat belts were missing as well ? Something about the news is not right. After all, the news has come in TOI. The customer might have filed a case against TATA on something completely different and got the refund. But the reason they have stated here is hard to believe.
Old 27th September 2011, 17:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

She booked CX and asked for LX features or what? Something wrong with the news article!
Old 27th September 2011, 18:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I did not understand the news even after reading it several times. I have a few questions-

-How can someone expect the features from LX in a lower CX variant?
-How is this Tata's fault?
-Did Skoda do something similar?
Old 27th September 2011, 22:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
She booked CX and asked for LX features or what? Something wrong with the news article!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I did not understand the news even after reading it several times. I have a few questions-

-How can someone expect the features from LX in a lower CX variant?
-How is this Tata's fault?
-Did Skoda do something similar?
The individual had booked the CX version of the car & was probably provided an incorrectly printed booklet which had the said features available in it. This is my assumption, real story only TATA knows
Old 27th September 2011, 22:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

This portrays the QC at TATA. If you check any of the leading auto Mags, against every tata car, the comment is Quality and Fit & finish not upto the mark.

TATA should really have done something to thier QC as they also have JLR tag now.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:46   #10
BHPian

A buyer buys Nano Cx and expects features of Lx. Is that the problem?
Is the "service booklet" mentioned in the article same as the owner's manual. If so, most of the owner's manuals are common across different versions of a model. Missing features are usually marked out by asterisks.
Are we jumping the gun with this thread based on a report from TOI?
Old 28th September 2011, 11:10   #11
BHPian

I did not quite get the news and the actual case. Why was the lady expecting features. Did the company change specifications or was it a serious miss in production & QC? And why are parallels being drawn with Skoda? I believe Skoda is being projected as the nadir benchmark which perhaps is unwarranted and definitely unrelated to this case.

~maniac
Old 28th September 2011, 11:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Holy cow!!! the CX is a middle variant while the LX is the top variant!!!

Forget the lady getting confused, how did the forum get confused!!!

Quote:
After going through the evidence, the forum allowed the complaint and directed the company to comply with the orders in 45 days of the receipt of the copy of orders.
Evidence??? what was taken into account as evidence. I guess the owner's manual!!

Quote:
These included trip meter reset knob, trip meter odometer, antiglare inner view mirror, utility pockets for magazines and books and rear seat belts that are mandatory as per the safety norms
Rear seat belts are the only missing equipment here!! A car coming out of the plant with out the mandatory equipment is not acceptable and it should be fined accordingly. At the same time the lady should also be advised to change the case by removing the demand for other equipment.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:43   #13
BHPian

My Figo has rear fog lamp switch, but no rear fog lamp. Can i also go to court???
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 12:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
My Figo has rear fog lamp switch, but no rear fog lamp. Can i also go to court???
go to an accessory shop, rather...

Base or not, trip meter, utility pockets are SAID to be present as per carwale(i recall).
Rear seat belts missing?
Isnt that required now by law?
might be why theyve agreed to pay up.

Carwale's also throwing up that "this car is expired"...RIP.

and also giving out rear defogger, fogs, stereo and what not.

Last edited by mayankk : 28th September 2011 at 12:13.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Mid Version does NOT come with trip meter/utility pockets/anti glare IRVM. Guess there is no dearth people willing to garner cheap publicity by suing companies. They should learn reading first.

Most Viewed