Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 08:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Refreshed TATA Grande (SUMO badge vanished)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhar_gogoi View Post
This site showed two variants. Now that you mentioned, I checked out the TATA site and could not find any such info. Looks like wrong info on that site. And my mistake of not checking out the official site first.
Shekhar here is the correct website :Tata Motors
Old 29th September 2011, 08:38   #17
Team-BHP Support

Tata seems to have done a decent job at it. But I'm confused as others, what segment are they trying to target? Innova?

It would have really helped if they had a thinnner C-pillar a la Fortuner; would have made the rear look roomy.

The one thing I don't like about the exteriors is the bulkiness; it just doesn't fit properly. The front and rear bumpers, although much better from the previous version, are still disproportionate.

Good thing they dropped the ancient, cab-like Sumo branding; they should do the same for Manza.
Old 29th September 2011, 08:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

An insider friend of mine in Tata told me this: Tata has frozen all new projects (except Merlin) for the next 2 years to concentrate on gleaning out the quality issues with the current lineup. This memo seems to have come from the desk of Carl Forster himself before he resigned. Until then, it's just gonna be "refreshes" through cosmetic upgrades.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhar_gogoi View Post
The rim looks bigger with a bit low profile Tyre. I may be wrong. And seems like the Grande comes in 2 engine options, 1948 cc turbo and 2179cc Dicor. I may be wrong but i knew of only 1 engine variant of 2179cc in the sumo grande.
you are right, grande was earlier also available in 2 engine options as you have mentioned, now also it'a available in two variants but the lower variant is not advertised as it's for taxi market
Old 30th September 2011, 13:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems like a case of old wine in new bottle. TM should have addressed the QC/handling issues rather than sprucing up the Sumo cosmetically and giving it a new name.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
An insider friend of mine in Tata told me this: Tata has frozen all new projects (except Merlin) for the next 2 years to concentrate on gleaning out the quality issues with the current lineup. This memo seems to have come from the desk of Carl Forster himself before he resigned. Until then, it's just gonna be "refreshes" through cosmetic upgrades.
Tata Motors should have done it long time before but the damage has been done. I am not against Tata Motors but I really want them to do well. They need to listen to the feedback given to them and make necessary changes to their product according to them. Its high time Tata Motors should realize that in buyer's market like todays one needs to offer product/quality @ right prices in India otherwise no body is going to buy their products, a good example in this regard is the lovely Honda Jazz.
Old 30th September 2011, 16:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Besides the chrome garnish on the *latest* iteration of the Sumo Grande is the significant but belated recognition by Tata that it's brand *Sumo* and *Indica/Indigo* don't carry any brand value in the personal transportation segment. They sell the volumes they do because they are cheap and loved by the Taxi segment.

They killed the Grande by misunderstanding the brand value of the *Sumo*. Too late to do anything about it as competition is pulling ahead and new products are hitting the market.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:15   #23
BHPian

Tata should concentrate on their new generation cars like Vista, Manza, Aria and may be the Merlin too. Flocking an already dead horse will not do any good to their brand image. More so with Grande. The previous iterations had horrible interiors and bad fit and finish. Nobody who has seen those iterations or traveled in them will buy it unless they are running cab services.
Old 30th September 2011, 21:16   #24
BHPian

This is the version that TATA should originally launched as Grande . . . Kept the Sumo badge for the cabs . . . tsk tsk . . . It's too late for the Tata's .

-Harshavardhan
Old 30th September 2011, 22:36   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The (Sumo) Grande is not able to find its position anywhere in any segment in the whole spectrum of MUV's,MPV's and SUV's. It appears that Tata is also confused and having launched it,is still marketing the product because the money that went into the "R & D to production" has to be recovered. Even with the refreshed version and after dropping the Sumo badging, there may be hardly takers.
The oddly designed Grande has some French design cues with eccentric edges,curves and now the graphics add to the confused looking product.The design from the "A" pillar forward and from the C pillar rearward are by and large unacceptable figments of imagination of the Tata designer.
The Xylo looks no better either, but look at the way Mahindra has marketed it. It has achieved very good sales figures. Aimed at the Innova initially as a MPV, the Xylo is nowhere near the refinement of an Innova and could not dent the Innova's sales. However, it has started competing with the Sumo Victa, Grande and the Tavera and has emerged a winner.
I am sure with this kind of an even refreshed Grande, Tata won't go anywhere.A total revamp of the design is needed, if at all they want to position it below the Safari segment.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th September 2011 at 22:38.
Old 1st October 2011, 04:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you guys, both the Sumo and Indica were VFM brands especially to fleet buyers. They were never aspirational and could not carry the price increase of their new generation models.

Along with this the Grande has horrible interiors. One can live with the boring design but I was shocked at the quality when I sat inside one. Glovebox wont close, door latches were loose, ill fitting plastic parts, sharp edges etc..etc....

No ones asking for 'Innova interiors' but they can definitely build it better. Top it all the Showroom and Sales environment was only marginally better than Govt. offices when it comes to customer experience.

No doubt they have improved by leaps and bounds but such memories makes one apprehensive about the brand. Had this been any other car company people would have given up a decade ago. The strength of the 'Tata' brand and the improvements made on new products shine a few rays of hope. Tata definitely cant afford to screw up again.
Old 1st October 2011, 09:27   #27
BHPian

Rear also more attractive than MK-II version, Big change is SUMO GRANDE MK-II logo replaced with just GRANDE
Attached Thumbnails
Refreshed TATA Grande (SUMO badge vanished)-tatagrandempv1.jpg  

Old 1st October 2011, 11:01   #28
BHPian

I don't understand why this refresh? What is the upgrade here? Paint shade? graphics? Or "grande" instead of "sumo grande"? Such a waste, I am so disappointed.
Old 1st October 2011, 22:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone personally seen it? There are a lot of hoardings around Mumbai for this model.
Old 1st October 2011, 22:24   #30
BHPian

If We compare with Manza/Vista, here there are a few cost advantages for TATA a.) Home-grown engine (No need to pay royalty etc.) b.) Not a very new platform.

Therefore only way to expect some momentum in sales is to pass these advantages to customer and to price at Bolero levels..(6l+) + Add at least ABS in some variants..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks