Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:57   #106
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Aria vs Toyota Innova

Why didn't mahindra put rails so that the middle row could be moved forward or backward? From the video reviews so far the middle row has unbelievable room . Don't think that much will be really needed on a normal course. You should be able to sit very comfortably even if you pull the 2nd row half a foot forward and at the same time you will have room at the back.

Will it be feasible to do this after market at some car upholstry/accessory shop?
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Why didn't mahindra put rails so that the middle row could be moved forward or backward? From the video reviews so far the middle row has unbelievable room . Don't think that much will be really needed on a normal course. You should be able to sit very comfortably even if you pull the 2nd row half a foot forward and at the same time you will have room at the back.

Will it be feasible to do this after market at some car upholstry/accessory shop?
Middle row does have unbelievable room. This is my biggest gripe with xuv as well. I am not sure if one can do this easily this in normal accessory shop and even if one could do that, would this change have any impact on warranty?
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:22   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post

One of the reasons M&M skimped on a sliding middle row seems to be because of the low height of the 2nd row sea base. If its moved forward half a foot the seating posture will be such that your knees will bend more creating poor under thigh support.People who have sat on the middle row please comment.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:53   #109
BHPian

Joined the discussion late. First of all we should appreciate the effort made my an Indian company, Mahindra to get to this stage. Secondly, only TATAs and Mahindra's are able to deliver SUVs or MUV at a decent price point. I always had a budget for Innova but never bought one as I felt is is overpriced for the value it offers and then the looks. Now with XUV 5OO I can tell you we are getting a very good VFM product. I have not test driven this vehicle as it is yet to be launched in Hyderabad but booked one to beat the waiting time.

The XUV 5OO is loaded with features and looks very comfortable for 5. 99% of the time I needed space for 5 and in some odd occassion a little more. I am yet to come across an SUV or MUV where they have space for 7 with baggage and all are comfortable. While I trust Innova quality I dont mind giving a chance to Mahindra for their new crossover XUV 5OO product. Quality and Price go together. Higher the quality higher the price. But how much quality will you want for 12 Lacs.. I dont mind if I get a Fortuner or Captiva for this price but the reality is I can't. But what I get is a matching SUV 8-10 Lacs cheaper and I am Game!

XUV 5OO is the safest SUV at this price point, plenty of space, features, 5 seat comfort and looks are good [this is a subjective matter and based on individuals]..I am game.

I booked XUV and cancelled Hyundai Verna Fluidic.

Last edited by NikhilReddy : 2nd October 2011 at 19:22.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:56   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post
I booked XUV and cancelled Hyundai Verna Fluidic.
So its true that the XUV has captured/shaken the sedan market as well!
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:05   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Why on earth NOT? It's my hard-earned money, I will put it where I get most value. From what we've heard and seen so far, the XUV500 provides that. Please speak for yourself and not everyone here.

Agreed. But the fact that it DOES have all these features, while others in the segment don't (or do and are vastly higher-priced) is what makes it exciting for some people. If it doesn't excite you personally, fair enough.

Frankly Skoda is a "taxi" brand in the UK. It has excellent brand value in India thanks probably to smart marketing coupled with an early mover advantage. And the Laura is a good car. But you are not in a position to make such a categoric statement without at least test driving the XUV500 first. Which I am pretty sure you haven't.

Perhaps it doesn't rain much where you live. I have driven the Superb with rain sensing wipers and believe me it makes me want them in Pune's longish and wet monsoons. Why do you assume your requirements match everyone else's?

I think this is an excellent thread aimed at (and fairly succeeding at) showing up the relative value propositions of 3 excellent vehicles. There are folks who will read this thread and STILL go ahead with their Aria or Innova purchase, with good reason as well. No need to take that so personally.
Sir,

I apologise for the generalization.

The point I was trying to make was that cars from Honda,Toyota or even Skoda or Volkswagen or Ford or GM are generally better engineered and for which Mahindra neither has the money nor has the capability.If features are the most important,that's your call.If that were to be the case a Ferrari Enzo or a Zonda R would look pale in front of the XUV,because they dont have features.

Agreed Skoda is a taxi brand.But the Laura is based on the Volkswagen Golf platform and the golf platform has frankly been acknowledged to be the best in the world in its segment.The amount invested by these large car divisions on their platforms are way beyond the levels of companies such as Mahindra.The E class is used a taxi in Berlin and so is the Toyota Corolla,does not mean it is a bad car does it?

It rains like cats and dogs in Bangalore and I own an E class,an A6,the BMW 320D and the Laura with rain sensing wipers.So I know what I am talking about.I mean they are useless,I can set the wiper speed better and they are a nuisance at best.As regards the driving pleasure being better in a Laura,I am going by reviews of both ACI and Overdrive which called the brakes mushy and the ride a bit unsettled and found the engine not eager to rev and had a little lag too.Anyway a sedan is generally better than a SUV for driving enthusiast.

I was the not the one who compared the sedans with these MUV's or SUV's.I was just replying to another person.Anyway I am not comfortable plonking my hard earned money on an Indian car with so many features,the potential for whose failure is immense.

Peace.
Ascari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:10   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
One of the reasons M&M skimped on a sliding middle row seems to be because of the low height of the 2nd row sea base. If its moved forward half a foot the seating posture will be such that your knees will bend more creating poor under thigh support.People who have sat on the middle row please comment.
Some pictures in support of my previous post.

Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Aria vs Toyota Innova-mahindraxuv500suv5.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Aria vs Toyota Innova-mahindraxuv500suv45.jpg

Courtesy Motoroids.com

Last edited by damodar : 2nd October 2011 at 19:18.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

Some people are saying Aria wasted lots of space, instead it could have increased leg room of third row.

Some people are saying in context of XUV that it wasted lots of space providing leg room and could have provided boot area too.

This confrontation in argument will continue. My view is, even if it is SUV, for comfortably highway cruising no more than 5 people should be present inside. Now question of third row, Well, it should only be used within city limit or for short trips where one need to pack more people to move. e.g. Family function etc. If these SUVs are stuffed with 7 big passenger including driver in highway, comfort is far word.

If one's family is very big I do not think these SUVs are suitable for their highway cruising. For highway one need space for luggage and they have fold the last row to make room for it. So, comfortable only 5 people can sit inside for highway.

In my Safari, I make boot area complete bed and two people can sleep there. . I first put all luggage secure all area and level it then put some light mattress on top of it. Believe me more people fight for the extreme last space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Some pictures in support of my previous post.
Under thigh support is very bad in middle row. They tried to match the leg room of Safari but forgot under thigh support completely. Tata Safari provides best in class under thigh support in middle row as well as high seating position.

Last edited by anujmishra : 2nd October 2011 at 19:24.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

The 3rd row seats in most MUVs/SUVs is fit just for kids or for people less than 5'6" in height. It is too easy to generalise but it is still to be seen whether Mahindra XUV's quality will last the test of time.

But there is no denying the mouth watering price sure is a tempter but whether it will prove economical and trouble-free in the long run like a Toyota e.g. is still to be proven. I would be most happy if it/Tata did stand up to the Japs/Europeans.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:46   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
The point I was trying to make was that cars from Honda,Toyota or even Skoda or Volkswagen or Ford or GM are generally better engineered and for which Mahindra neither has the money nor has the capability.
Why do you think so? Because it is an "Indian" company?

Quote:
The amount invested by these large car divisions on their platforms are way beyond the levels of companies such as Mahindra.
again... If we think like this about our homegrown products, no doubt, they will never prosper.

Quote:
Anyway a sedan is generally better than a SUV for driving enthusiast.
A generalized comment. I am a driving enthusiast, I prefer SUVs anytime over sedans. Infact, I hate driving sedans.

Quote:
Anyway I am not comfortable plonking my hard earned money on an Indian car with so many features,the potential for whose failure is immense.
Your opinion is respected sir. But you have already decided that these features are going to fail.

You drive a skoda... just search through the forum. You will find numerous threads regarding breakdowns, issues & problems with the A.S.S., still you are happy with your skoda, isnt it?

Yes. Peace, of course!
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:58   #116
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
beg to differ here. Endy is also an SUV but the leg space (mind pls, ONLY space) is good in third row, but it is still NOT comfortable whereas TFort even with less leg space in 3rd row makes it comfortable if at all required. All these cars in someway or the other compete with each other in the similar market space whether SUV or MUV and there is no clear demarcation to keep them away in competition.
I havnt checked out an Endy. Anyway, that is just one in several suv, and I am talking about the general format. As for TFort, the 3rd row cannot seat a person comfortably for long drives. I have checked this out.
What I am trying to point out is, that world over, crossover suv(s) are not designed or meant to be people carrier. That is why we have muv. Is third row is most important, get an muv/mpv/minivan(all 3 are used interchangeably). Or go for large suv q7,GL etv.

Last edited by mxx : 2nd October 2011 at 20:06.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:03   #117
BHPian

@Raj,

I have no bias against Indian companies.I recommend the Indica and the Manza to friends.Mahindra does not spend that much on R&D as Toyota or even Tata,simply due to lack of resources.For example their entire range of cars is dependent on one engine.They need to invest more on a R&D and improve their design capablities to grow.

As regards the electronics and gizmo's only time can tell whether they are reliable or not.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:29   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
@Raj,

Mahindra does not spend that much on R&D as Toyota or even Tata,simply due to lack of resources.For example their entire range of cars is dependent on one engine.They need to invest more on a R&D and improve their design capablities to grow.
I somehow beg to differ sir. Mahindra has spent 4 years to develop this vehicle. I have virtually seen this car being developed.

Anyways, as i said, i respect your decision, so wont argue.
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:44   #119
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
When i asked the sales executive in Mahindra, he was not sure about this.

I think when you press the unlock button for 3 seconds or more, the headlight glows or the blinkers are activated.
Well then even the Aria should be listed as having this feature. The Aria remote control comes with a "Light" button which allows you to switch on the headlamps at any time. Either as a walk me Home or Walk me to Vehicle.

Old 2nd October 2011, 22:01   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post
J
The XUV 5OO is loaded with features and looks very comfortable for 5. 99% of the time I needed space for 5 and in some odd occassion a little more. I am yet to come across an SUV or MUV where they have space for 7 with baggage and all are comfortable.
Well in this case, 7 even without baggage, would be very uncomfortable. I agree that for 5, it has lots of space however please see the note about under thigh support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
This confrontation in argument will continue. My view is, even if it is SUV, for comfortably highway cruising no more than 5 people should be present inside. Now question of third row, Well, it should only be used within city limit or for short trips where one need to pack more people to move. e.g. Family function etc. If these SUVs are stuffed with 7 big passenger including driver in highway, comfort is far word.
Agree with you in principle however the third row is not comfortable even within city. Forget Innova and Xylo which are class leaders in terms of comfort and space in third row, even Scorpio with front facing third row has more space because the middle row can be moved towards the front. That is missing here because middle row is fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Under thigh support is very bad in middle row.
Agree with that as well. My Scorp's middle row (captain seats) has much better under thigh support as compared to XUV.
hondadude is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed