Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2011, 17:02   #91
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Aria vs Toyota Innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post

How come dimensions length, width, wheelbase of Aria is more than innova or xuv but when you sit inside the space esp leg space in 2nd and 3rd row is less in Aria! what sorcery is this
Mods regret the quote in short period upfront.

A user presective: (hopefull unbaised.) Have also owned the safari for long and got into the rear seat of the Innova multiple times.

2nd row leg space in Aria is as good as it gets. It is the third row where they have left the most space compared to scorpio, innova, XUV, Fortuner behind the 3rd row seats with the seats raised. I guess the official logic would have been that you could then carry the luggage for 7 passengers (5 adults and 2 children) within the car rather than on the roof as is required in the rest. But this logic evidently does not work for us in India and we would have preferred the third row seats to have more space.

As a user have discovered that the Aria third row is only for children and small adults (5.5 or less and below 65 kgs.) the other things is that if one raises the headrest of the last row the space is more acceptable, with them low even kids complain and the first time one sits the head rests are invariable lowered and need to be raised. Also when the third row is occpied it is best to take the middle row seats to the furthest upfront. That said a guy like me with 6ft and more than 120kgs to go will never get comfy in the third row of the aria.

The Aria has does have more inside cabin volume then all in the list but a fair bit if premanently left out for the the luggage area.

The XUV is a remarkable and brillant VFM propostion and if they get the quality right should kill all opposition in that range, but then it rarely is as simple as that.
Old 1st October 2011, 17:56   #92
BHPian

@ACM Thanks still i think 2nd row in innova is more spacious, my perception maybe.

I could not find boot volume in aria brochure online, or xuv for that matter. Would be nice if somebody had the info.

Also I understand the logic aria designer must have used but there is a flaw in this logic the last seats are kids seat but what if the kids are 7-8 already, i will keep the vehicle for at-least 5 years assuming no problem occurs, kids would grow (hopefully ) and after a year or two kids wont fit in!
Old 1st October 2011, 18:04   #93
Senior - BHPian

Luggage space in XUV is almost nil, but ARIA has some. I do not think even kids will sit in XUV (third row) as I felt claustrophobic inside a stationary XUV, but leg space is decent. With seven people on board (5 adults + 2 kids) you cannot carry any luggage inside XUV.

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st October 2011 at 18:06.
Old 1st October 2011, 22:53   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Is boot space of xuv worst than that of innova?
Is 3rd row seat better than aria?
How is nvh level?

Can someone comment pls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Luggage space in XUV is almost nil, but ARIA has some. I do not think even kids will sit in XUV (third row) as I felt claustrophobic inside a stationary XUV, but leg space is decent. With seven people on board (5 adults + 2 kids) you cannot carry any luggage inside XUV.
I experienced the XUV500 today but stationary only as the TD wait time was 2hrs min with a long queue of people just holding on for the much wanted TD, spent about 20-30 mins with it, sitting in/out, checking out etc.

Now, what I express here are my personal views and it is highly likely many may disagree.

For your concerns above my perception is follows, and totally based upon my personal experiences with all cars concerned:
1. Boot space in XUV seems worse than Scorpio, rather non-existent and it feels like you could probably stuff your really small 3-4 sports backpacks or ladies handbags. (sorry it offends but I am appalled by the existence of the boot, rather lack of it). All others in competition excluding Scorpio (has quite similar space but maybe a tad more) have ample space, Safari very good due to the jump-seats, Innova has sufficient, and Aria has deadly compared to all with all the seats up.

2. 3rd row seats are best for probably upto 12-14 yr olds. I sat there (I am 5' 7") and I was like more than canned. Even my 14 yr newphew would not want to sit there. This is from the experience that he comfortably sits and travels entire day on our long journeys without cribbing, rather they are playing games, cards in our Innova's 3rd row seats.

When I asked the Sales Reps about where will we carry our baggage, their answer was keeping mum or saying sir you will have to carry on top on skii racks.

But this is not to discourage anybody. But I felt it is best suited for 5 people on long journeys with rear seat folded for luggage which then gives a humongous space for luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Really Nice comparo but - ??? Didn't get why you felt the Aria is short on GC, power or Torque.

Aria totally matches the XUV exactly in Power and Torque. Infact the 4X2 has a 0-100 time faster than that of the fortuner (ofcourse as it is lighter) but even the 4X2 has a reasonably exciting for class 0-100 of 15 sec and matches the options listed at your end on power and torque. Infact exceed the rest and matched the XUV.

Also the GC is within 5-10 mm of the all options listed by you - (Exceeds in some cases) It is just that it is designed to appear too tall.
@ACM, sorry about the confusion my wordings must have caused. Let me put it down properly, I have also included my earlier post content for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The USP of Innova is the superb ride, handling, stability, comfort, space even in 3rd row for adults and boot space to carry much more than any (except Safari which has again loads of space at rear due to its jump-seats, Aria beats them all squarely in all respect but for the 3rd row seat space). However, it falls short of GC, power and torque.
The context you are referring to is actually outside the brackets refers to Innova and within brackets "()" refers to different cars, Safari and Aria namely.

"However, it falls short of GC, power and torque" actually refers to Innova having the worst of GCs at 176mm and power 102bhp and torque 200Nm.

XUV indeed seems to match the Aria and TFort on these statistics on paper neck to neck.

I believe the GC and Wheelbase are the 2 big aspects for a vehicle for off-road-worthiness alongwith the power and torque.

My view on GC among these is: Scorpio has marginally higher GC of 4mm to Innova. But pls mind that all others' GCs are in range of 200mm (not visible in the comparo posted but they are visible in specs comparo tab on carwale.com) and that is a big difference of 20-30mm over Innova. This is huge difference when considering off-roading. The approach and landing angles will be better for a vehicle with higher GC and lesser Wheelbase and will be a better off-roader if it has decent power BUT primarily backed with good torquey engine.

So here, the Innova stands lowest of them and fails miserably to be an off-roader inspite of excelling in all other aspects. Scorp, Safari, Aria and now XUV top the charts there and seem to have much much better off-roading capabilities thereof whever Innova fails miserably.

Edit: Not putting much on this aspect, but feel inspite of the jazziness it has got and cool interiors the actual quality of the interiors may not be up to mark so to say a Global SUV and I felt Innova's interiors really good. Will try post soon on this.

Last edited by parsh : 1st October 2011 at 23:14. Reason: removed [FONT] tag, rephrased some words.
Old 1st October 2011, 23:31   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
Brilliant effort Raj

I have been wondering about this even before the XUV launch, maybe you know the answer.

How come dimensions length, width, wheelbase of Aria is more than innova or xuv but when you sit inside the space esp leg space in 2nd and 3rd row is less in Aria! what sorcery is this
If you notice, Aria has better boot space than innova or XUV. Hence, inspite of being longer than both XUV & Innova, third row legroom is similar, infact worse.

What TATA could have done is pushed the third row more backwards to liberate more legroom but they dint do that. Now some of you may argue that it liberates into better boot space but my logic is that, if you are buying a 7 seater SUV/MUV, legroom in 3rd row is more important than boot space since comfort of passengers are more important than that of luggage. Baggage can be tied on the roof carrier above (if installed), passenger cant be!

In Innova, Xylo, Scorpio, XUV, etc. the third row is pushed as far behind as possible, but in Aria, there is lots of space wasted behind the 3rd row.
Old 1st October 2011, 23:33   #96

Re: XUV500 vs ARIA vs Innova !

One notable omission - the Endeavor.

For some inexplicable reason, I have found the Endeavor to be the most exciting, sinewy and business-like. Maybe because I have been a Ford Ikon user! Have settled for the Xylo E-8 though, as the Endeavor is out of reach at the moment of going to Press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
We should do a comparison analysis of

1. Scorpio
2. Safari
3. Innova
4. XUV500
5. ARIA
6. Captiva
7. Fortuner

This is like comparing the basic SUV in town till the Fortuner . This will have a clear picture of whose is who what is what analysis .

If i have missed any other vehicle in the above loop , we can add .
Old 1st October 2011, 23:43   #97
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=kaks15;2528389
Also I understand the logic aria designer must have used but there is a flaw in this logic the last seats are kids seat but what if the kids are 7-8 already, i will keep the vehicle for at-least 5 years assuming no problem occurs, kids would grow (hopefully ) and after a year or two kids wont fit in![/quote]

True as they say you win some and lose some. It fits in perfectly for me as my kid was less then two when I got it and we dont really travel much with parents and the last row is only for emergencies -
an option that is used more when I take my office colleagues out on treats for birthdays etc. But those are short drives.

Actually keep half the third row folded down flat most of the time for any longer pieces of luggage if required.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:40   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually keep half the third row folded down flat most of the time for any longer pieces of luggage if required.
I have booked the XUV keeping in mind the same. I will essentially treat it like a comfortable 5 seater with ample luggage room (last row seats folded).

If I do have an occassional 6th kiddo passenger, I can always keep the double seat (3rd row folded) and accomodate in the single seater whilst maintaining some luggage space too (however this would be more of a forced adjustment).

If I look at the other vehicles in comparison, at the price the XUV is offered, somehow feel it doesnt take too much convincing to arrive at the decision.cheers
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:53   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
The VFM positioning of the XUV500 is simply perfect. I would say that the VFM proposition could put many sedans at risk too. Those buying a Sedan to service them for long distance regular travels could now seriously look at the XUV500. The Altis, Fluence, Laura, the top end Fiesta, Fluidic Verna et al could all be at risk. I know that a entry level luxury sedan market has a different buyer profile but temptations can change people in ways that we cant even imagine.

It is so heartening to see that someone has brought a safe, powerful, feature rich package at such an affordable price to the market. Now many of us can hope to own an SUV...maybe a Hyundai EON for city drives, and an XUV500 for those highway rides.
Sir,

I own the Laura.It does not have so many features but its a much better engineered car.It has quality way beyond this contraption.Trust me no one buying a Corolla,Civic or the Laura would even want to sit in this thing.
Just because it has these features it does not mean it is better than the laura.On a good road the Laura will be nigh on impossible for this car to beat for sheer driving pleasure.There is something called refinement that people pay money for and this thoroughly lacking in this XUV.

Ultimately features mean nothing to me.Why do I need rain sensor? I have a solid and thoroughly engineered car,that matters to me.
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:20   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
Sir,
I own the Laura.It has quality way beyond this contraption.Trust me no one buying a Corolla,Civic or the Laura would even want to sit in this thing.
Hi Ascari,
As much as I respect your personal opinion about this contraption, regret to break your heart as I am a buyer who was contemplating between a diesel sedan and SUV with the following choices :
SUV - Endy,Captiva,Fortuner
Sedan - Laura, Jetta
However I ended up booking the W8 AWD (or contraption as u like it)
Incidently , I also own/drive an Altis AT for my daily commute.
Point being made is that choices can sometimes be very different for people.
As far as I am concerned : I had the choice for buying the Laura 3 years back too (when I purchased the Altis), however my "personal" comfort with the reliability of Skoda (post Harish V fiasco) was at an all time low. Not to say that its not a 'highly' desirable car, but just that 'people' have different criterions for evaluating things & thus sweeping statements like "Trust me no one buying a Corolla,Civic or the Laura would even want to sit in this thing" may not be true for everyone.
To each his own
cheers

Last edited by sidwadia : 2nd October 2011 at 14:23. Reason: Spelling mistake
sidwadia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:36   #101
BHPian

@sidwadia

Why will my heart break if you buy this car? That's fine by me. I was just comparing the quality and for most people buying a car in this segment quality is important.
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

XUV 500 looks like a fine vehicle being offered at a cracking price. However specs that look good on paper need to be tried and tested on a long term basis and withstand the test of time. This one vehicle may change Mahindra's fortunes forever if it manages that...
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:32   #103
mxx
BHPian

Guys, comparison with innova and aria/xuv wrt third row seat is pointless.
Usually muv(s) have specious third row seat compared to suv(s)-specially small/mid size/crossover suv. Just try the suv(s) under 25 lacs available in our market. Even fortuner which is based on innova, the leg room is smaller compared to innova.
Innova being a muv has this advantage.
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:36   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
Sir,

I own the Laura.It does not have so many features but its a much better engineered car.It has quality way beyond this contraption.Trust me no one buying a Corolla,Civic or the Laura would even want to sit in this thing.
Why on earth NOT? It's my hard-earned money, I will put it where I get most value. From what we've heard and seen so far, the XUV500 provides that. Please speak for yourself and not everyone here.

Quote:
Just because it has these features it does not mean it is better than the laura.
Agreed. But the fact that it DOES have all these features, while others in the segment don't (or do and are vastly higher-priced) is what makes it exciting for some people. If it doesn't excite you personally, fair enough.

Quote:
On a good road the Laura will be nigh on impossible for this car to beat for sheer driving pleasure.There is something called refinement that people pay money for and this thoroughly lacking in this XUV.
Frankly Skoda is a "taxi" brand in the UK. It has excellent brand value in India thanks probably to smart marketing coupled with an early mover advantage. And the Laura is a good car. But you are not in a position to make such a categoric statement without at least test driving the XUV500 first. Which I am pretty sure you haven't.

Quote:
Ultimately features mean nothing to me.Why do I need rain sensor? I have a solid and thoroughly engineered car,that matters to me.
Perhaps it doesn't rain much where you live. I have driven the Superb with rain sensing wipers and believe me it makes me want them in Pune's longish and wet monsoons. Why do you assume your requirements match everyone else's?

I think this is an excellent thread aimed at (and fairly succeeding at) showing up the relative value propositions of 3 excellent vehicles. There are folks who will read this thread and STILL go ahead with their Aria or Innova purchase, with good reason as well. No need to take that so personally.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:43   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Guys, comparison with innova and aria/xuv wrt third row seat is pointless.
Usually muv(s) have specious third row seat compared to suv(s)-specially small/mid size/crossover suv. Just try the suv(s) under 25 lacs available in our market. Even fortuner which is based on innova, the leg room is smaller compared to innova.
Innova being a muv has this advantage.
beg to differ here. Endy is also an SUV but the leg space (mind pls, ONLY space) is good in third row, but it is still NOT comfortable whereas TFort even with less leg space in 3rd row makes it comfortable if at all required. All these cars in someway or the other compete with each other in the similar market space whether SUV or MUV and there is no clear demarcation to keep them away in competition.

Last edited by parsh : 2nd October 2011 at 17:45.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed