Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2006, 14:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata @ the Geneva Auto Show

http://www.salon-auto.ch/en/en_image...=1984&idPage=1

http://www.rediff.com/money/2006/mar/01tata.htm

Same ?

Anyone know what Tata's plans are for the Xover and now the Cliffrider ? The Aria will probably not see light of day, I think.
Old 1st March 2006, 14:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Damn, I loved the Aria and its specs at first sight!
Old 1st March 2006, 14:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Me too. Itd be a fun car, and probably not too expensive.
Too much lag between concept and production (if ever). The Xover would've taken on the Innova real well, if it existed.
Old 1st March 2006, 14:50   #4
BHPian

another link
From Tata motor's Site
Old 1st March 2006, 15:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tata's Stillborn Cars

First it was the Indiva. Then came Aria. Then the Advent. After that it was the XOVER. And finally, we have the Cliffrider. (Forgot to mention the Tata Magna which mercifully wasn't shown at Geneva)

Why does Tata showcase cars at the Geneva Motor Show year after year when it has no intention of ever launching them?

Frankly, I don't find the XOVER (an Innova Wannabe, from what I saw at the Auto Expo) or the Cliffrider very inspiring.

Looks like Tata's design department is short-staffed or may be they haven't cleared all of IDEA's pending bills.
Old 1st March 2006, 16:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, the street version of the Xover (they're always more practical in the 'real world') may be a very useful vehicle. The Innova does not sell on looks - more on space/practicality. Of course the brand justifies a premium. But would you not consider a similar TATA with the 3.o dicor @ 6.5L - 9.0 range ? A lot of the market would.
Old 1st March 2006, 17:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely... look at the cars that Tata sells. They excel at one thing; providing something close to what the car biggies offer but at a fraction of the cost. That is the USP of Tata vehicles... and mind you, irrespective of those initial days hangover (that many of us have) the cars are none to bad for the money they charge.

From that aspect if you look at the Xover it looks as big (if not bigger) than the Innova, will have a Dicor engine and irrespective of everything else will probably cost at least 2L less than Innova. You can bet your last penny on the fact that there will be many takers... especially those who hanker for the size of an Innova and its utility and yet find the tag a bit too stiff.
Old 1st March 2006, 18:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
Well, the street version of the Xover (they're always more practical in the 'real world') may be a very useful vehicle. The Innova does not sell on looks - more on space/practicality. Of course the brand justifies a premium. But would you not consider a similar TATA with the 3.o dicor @ 6.5L - 9.0 range ? A lot of the market would.
Actually, as per the info in the Geneva auto show site, and the grapevine, Tata is looking to launch this vehicle with a new 2.2 L Dicor with figures similar to the present 3.0 Dicor. This will be a modern diesel and not the push rod derived engine from teh safari Dicor.

should spice things up nicely....

O.T.- Tata should plonk the 3L Dicor in the TL 4x4- what a bomb that would be then!!!!
Old 2nd March 2006, 10:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
This will be a modern diesel and not the push rod derived engine from teh safari Dicor.
Hey can you explain more on this. How is a modern diesel different than the push rod derived engine? Any pointers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
O.T.- Tata should plonk the 3L Dicor in the TL 4x4- what a bomb that would be then!!!!
I totally agree, and also they should reduce the price of the vehicle.. It already costs a bomb with the current configuration.. Eicher Motors have launched a Tipper at 8L and there are buses available at the cost of 10-12 L. Tata must justify the cost of the TL 4x4 in its present version..
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:30   #10
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
as some one said in this thread that TATA gives u what actit i want to mention that TATA reduced the indica petrol also to the tune of 8% even though it does not fall under the 1200 cc cap. i would like to see maruti and hyundai also do same with regard to swift and getz
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Hey can you explain more on this. How is a modern diesel different than the push rod derived engine? Any pointers??

Although I am not an engineer, here is my 2 cents worth on engine tech for diesels:

When one says "modern" diesels, it is usually with reverence to ODC diesels (SOHC or DOHC) (engineers please confirm!)

The camshaft on a pushrod engine is inside the engine block, rather than in the head
The cam actuates long rods that go up through the block and into the head to move the rockers. These long rods add mass to the system, which increases the load on the valve springs. This can limit the speed of pushrod engines- that is y the Dicor is limited at 3000 RPM.

The overhead camshaft, which eliminates the pushrod from the system, is one of the engine technologies that made higher engine speeds possible, and is hence used in modern car engines.

Tata is rumoured to be working on a 2.2 L DOCH Dicor engine, which whould produce approx 130 BHP and torque similar to the Dicor, but will be more free revving.

Hope this helps

Chers
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:20   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Why does Tata showcase cars at the Geneva Motor Show year after year when it has no intention of ever launching them?
Similar to the reasoning behind concept cars from most other manufacturers:

1. To gauge reaction and collect research data
2. To get attention
3. To indicate future design philosophies.

GTO
Old 5th March 2006, 11:39   #13

Some more info on the Cliffrider at the Geneva show-
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/03/04/g...to-cross-over/
Old 13th March 2006, 02:22   #14
BHPian

I was hoping to lay my hands on the Aria as and when it happened. But now it seems long forgotten.
Probably it did not evoke similar feeling that Tata's got for the Indica. Just imagine Indian manufacturer coming into the market with India's only sports car. At a sweet price, it could have set the market on fire.
Old 13th March 2006, 02:36   #15
BHPian

Tata still gets its cars designed from Idea. Know that because one of my professors at school here worked on a few cars for Tata including the X-over and still unreleased latest generation Indica.

The wierd part was, there was nobody representing the company at the stand. They had an Indica, Safari, Marina, The Cliffrider and the Xover at the stand, but not a single representative from the company. No wonder the company does not sell much in europe, cos they don't market their cars where it matters the most.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks