Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 21:45   #121
BHPian

Re: September 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

My take on the Sept sales...

* Maruti's three best selling cars (Alto, WagonR and Swift) deserve to occupy the top three slots. All three enjoy a loyal fan base.

* I'm rather disappointed with the September position of the i10. Mistake me not, the 9784 sales are excellent in general, and for a petrol-only car in particular. But, i10 has slipped from its once No.2 position to a rather low No. 5 position. In fact, it barely clung on to the 5th slot and could easily have been placed at No 6, had Mahindra sold 21 Boleros more. In my opinion, there is one culprit for this sliding position -- Hyundai itself. It has an i10 diesel made IN India, but there is no i10 diesel FOR India, especially at a time when petrol prices are constantly on the rise. While other manufacturers are jostling to promote their diesel variants, Hyundai seems to feel that while a diesel engine is useful in other parts of the world, it is not necessary for India. Had Hyundai introduced the diesel variant, sales of i10 would easily have overtaken that of the Wagon R. And probably, it would have regained its No. 2 status by now.

* Excellent performance by Tata Indica/Vista to register 5-figure sales. Clearly, it is doing something right to generate such interest among customers. May be, the huge wait period for the Swift or the recent Vista vs Swift ad campaign is pushing customers towards the Vista.

* Most interest on this thread is generated towards the Eon, even before it is launched. Right ploy by Hyundai to dispatch 7K cars ahead of the launch and it has already shot to the 9th on the top-10 list. I only hope that Hyundai can continue to supply enough cars to match the potential demand for the Eon.

* Like many, I too am rather disappointed by the Sept sales of the Jazz. Given the huge price reduction, I had expected the Jazz to touch 4-digit sales. An excellent car for cabin/boot space.

* Ritz is doing really well on its own, while Estilo/A-Star are struggling to prove themselves.

* The aging Santro still has a number of takers. Wonder what could be the reason for this when there are other tall-bodied and newer competitors available today.

* Am surprised by the sub-5000 Eeco sales. I always believed that it had the potential to overtake the Omni.

* I'm surprised that the Tata Venture has had only 750 takers, despite having a diesel engine. What is going wrong for this vehicle? Looks better that the Eeco and even has better interiors than the Eeco.

* Why are Aveo and Uva still being sold? Chevy could well try resurrecting the spacious UVA by inserting the Beat-D engine. Could well have more takers for a UVA-D.

* Spark seems to have lost its spark. From car sales of 3887 in April to 1596 in September is a steep descend. And with Eon entering into the fray, the Spark sales could drop even further. gain, Chevy could get a diesel engine on the Spark and boost its sales.

* Top 20 (company's present portfolio) -- Maruti (7/14), Hyundai (5/8), Tata (2/7), Mahindra (2/5), Toyota (1/9), Honda (1/6), Chevrolet (1/8) and Ford (1/4). On this count, Hyundai seems to have done the best with most of its models in the top-20.

Last edited by misquitas : 5th October 2011 at 22:12.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 17:30   #122
BHPian

The Jazz is not selling because Honda's not making enough of them!

Already a waiting period of 4 months.

They might as well have sold the 200 odd units and pocketed the 1.5 lac premium per car. Why does Honda have to do something wrong each time??

Please don't tell me they wanna keep learning the lesson the hard way!!
Old 6th October 2011, 23:21   #123
BHPian

Thanks.

Being in the auto-sales industry this thread is very valuable for me. Always wanted to thank you for this.
Old 7th October 2011, 00:02   #124

No doubt the most awaited thread of the month is here with as usual surprises. Only god and maruti knew the indian market, now with hyundai's stride.

@GTO could you please also upload the excel file along with the images. I need data for some analysis (as calculating %age cumulative monthly performance of a model or segment or maker) and try to predict where the indian market will be heading in pure mathematical terms.

Will definitely post it if I find something fruitful.
asaraf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 09:46   #125
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the sales analysis GTO

I dont know if it is offtopic, but I have a query on the classification of vehicles. How come the 15L+ SUVs (with XUV5OO) are categorized under premium vehicles? Shouldnt they be under D-segment or Utility? Pardon if this has already been discussed.
Old 7th October 2011, 10:24   #126
BHPian

@GTO:Thanks for the analysis,

Mitsubishi's numbers are not included,please check

Thanks & Regards
Anupam
Old 7th October 2011, 10:30   #127
Senior - BHPian

Any figures for the Mahindra Thar? Am seeing quite a few here in Kerala, particularly the DI version. At least the sales must be more than the new Lineas am finding in my town, Palakkad
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 11:22   #128
BHPian

I was eagerly waiting for this!

Thanks GTO.

Wow - what an amazing change in the results.

As usual - Maruti still going on rock solid - & quite deservedly so too.

But what a surprise jump for Tata !

Indica + Vista 10k+ !
(wonder what prompted this ? - The new Vista Sedan class? - It really is an awesome car and looks quite sexy too)
&
then again the Indigo + Manza : beating almost all the sedans in that class.

What just happened here?

Whatever it is ... well as usual, I am happy for Tata.

Rightly so that Indian companies like Maruti, Tata & Mahindra rule to rural & urban market - rather than foreign collaborations offering inferior products at expensive prices (& then later doing all possible gimmicks to make it sell).

I read somewhere - that analysis of the Top 20 - says that Hyundai has maximum success models in its portfolio.

Now that is a point worth pondering.

It does look as if they have the reputation & formula all set.

Let's see how things pan out in October.

& still wondering - what IS wrong with Nano?!
Old 7th October 2011, 12:16   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
What is up with Jazz, even after the price cut? I was expecting it to clock at least 2000 units, its stuck at 500 odd. Is it production constraint? There is a huge waiting period for the Jazz, something does not add up here.

Great analysis as usual, GTO. Rated 5*

The probable reasons -
1. Upsell to city by dealers (I guess HSCI is dumping city's)
2. Wait period (3 - 6 months as quoted by various dealers)
3. Launch of Brio (Customer mindset - if im getting a Honda cheaper, why not book that?)

Surprisingly, even the Brio sales are pretty less!
Old 7th October 2011, 12:30   #130
Senior - BHPian

It was only launched last month , September and to some degree in my mind even October will not be a true reflection of what the numbers will eventually be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
Surprisingly, even the Brio sales are pretty less!
Old 7th October 2011, 13:30   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
It was only launched last month , September and to some degree in my mind even October will not be a true reflection of what the numbers will eventually be.
The figures we read here are the nos sent from Factory to Dealers. And so far Brio has been produced in low numbers only and these are the Brio's we see at dealerships as demo cars and given to media for test purposes. From what i was told by a SA at Honda Showroom that the actual production is only going to begin from end October / Early November and that's when they will start with the deliveries.

According to him, they are already holding enough bookings to keep them going till March 2012.

Only the November 2011 sales figures will be able to give out the exact numbers for Brio sales.

Regards,
Old 7th October 2011, 16:16   #132
BHPian

I think, after a great performance over the last three months (and consistent performance over many months), we can safely deduce that Ritz is a successful model now.
Especially, the performance in the last month is very important. Even though new Swift came in the market, Ritz maintained its sales figures.
Panko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 17:53   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
That makes me wonder why did Honda reduce the price of the Jazz?
Duh, To increase sales buddy! They also increased local content, put more features and face lifted it.

Even the pre-facelift Jazz had close to 2L off on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Earlier, they were selling 200-300 odd. Now, they are selling 500-600. What is the big difference??
The difference is that earlier they STRUGGLED to sell 200 units and now they are overbooked.

OT: Good thing you bought the Micra, I mean imagine the look on the guy's face who paid 9L+ for an overpriced hatch!
Old 7th October 2011, 23:53   #134
BHPian

I will add my two cents here. Nano does not sell well because the most of the dealers do not treat prospective Nano customers well. I recently bought Nano and had this experience when I visited more than two showrooms before visiting the third from where I bought Nano. In the first two cases, it was definitely a step-brotherly treatment!

Questions were not answered well, enquiry calls are not replied with satisfactory answers or in time and they do not help raise the excitement/confidence of the buyers (although I don't know if this is particular to Nano or is this the Tata experience?).

And these fire instances are certainly not helping!
Old 8th October 2011, 08:54   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

So, finally Ford has come up with some kind of offer on its New Ford Fiesta. Offer worth over 50K which includes Exchange bonus, Free Insurance and Accessories. However this offer is on Petrol version only. Will this increase their sale? I don't think so.

Last edited by arun_josie : 8th October 2011 at 08:55.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks