Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: September 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Thanks GTO , very insightful as always.

I have to agree and second KaranRaheja - i was expecting the jazz numbers to be in the few thousands - especially keeping in mind the kind of waiting periods that the dealers have been quoting i.e upto 5 months.

Clearly something amiss here - either the dealers are lying through their teeth to notch up some marks in terms of projecting demand , or Honda can only produce a grand total of 100 a month , the latter i highly doubt.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

7000+ Eon vs 100+ brio - while the former is not even formally launched?
Any ideas why so small quantities of Brio have been shipped? Display only models vs ready to handover models (Eon)?
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:53   #33
BHPian

Nano numbers seem to be due to employee sales. The launch of the Eon and the resulting matching offers from Alto, will bring the used Alto values very close to the Nano price (~2 lakhs in Karnataka). Hope the Nano D will help out here.

The Etios twin numbers are pretty much the same in-spite of getting the Diesel mill early in the month !

Decent Sunny numbers for 10 days and Petrol-only variant. The price range seems to be targeted at both it's compatriots (Etios & City). Need to watch for the impact when the Diesel is rolled out.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks GTO!

- Its a surprise to see Eon at 7K+ before launch.
- Good numbers by Swift despite the strike.
- It looks like Vista will compete with Swift, however we should monitor the numbers of Vista for another couple of months.
- What happened to Etios after the diesel launch? Still no improvement in the sales.
- Also, its a surprise to see the Jazz numbers even after the deep cut in the price.
- SX4 badly requires a upgrade with the 1.6ltr diesel engine.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:00   #35
BHPian

I think Hyundai are confident that EON is going to sell well. They do not want to have huge waiting periods for their car which is a good thing. This just supports the specualtion that Eon will be priced aggresively. Maruti will be the one most worried right now. Maruti is in the lead because of Alto, Dzire and Swift only. I think Dzire and Swift will continue to top whereas Alto sales will decrease (thought it will be at top but the margin will reduce).

Sx4 is slowed down because of the strike. Although I think it will do sales around 1.5-2k at full capacity production. Its RIP for the new Fiesta. I am sure there will be discounts on it from 2012. Figo and Fiesta classic keeping Ford in the race. I think most of the Fiesta classics are going in the taxi segment (I may be wrong here). People are just loving Hyundai! Impressive sales by Verna and i20. Eon will be joining the party from next month. VW doing constant numbers. They need to concentrate on their after sales service now. I think they will continue to do these numbers for months come.

FIAT - Have nothing to say. It seems they are happy with way things are going. I see nowadays FIAT ads but then every other manufacturer is doing it. FIAT does not seem to be serious about their business here.

Honda - Perfect example of learning from mistakes. They have been doing the right things for quite some time now. Brio will further strengthen their position. Micra has been doing these numbers since ages. I expect Sunny sales to reach 1k next month.

Good month for TATA too. Nice to see Manza doing good numbers. If only they would improve in certain areas, TATA has the potential to become a major player in the market. I do not see NANO sales increasing from here. I think they should improve Nano and bring it in the Atlo territory. Put in more features, better engine, better interiors - forget the 1 lakh tag. No body seems to want such a car. But I will always respect TATA for their efforts in making the Nano.

Last edited by Saanil : 3rd October 2011 at 23:02.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:02   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Nice to see that the XUV have sold 500 odd nos in a week's time!
The news have reported this evening that more than 3000 units have been booked till date.
Would be intresting to see the numbers at the end of this month.
I guess someone posted that we had 8500 bookings for XUV 500 on first day after price announcement !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
@GTO: Fantastic chart and analysis as always. 7188 Eon shipped to dealers are these demo cars or cars to be sold?!
It includes sales cars as well I believe - the pic of first batches of Eons in Trivandrum were mostly of low variants & possibly not TD vehicles which are always top of the line variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
These seem to be bookings and not sales as we have Eon also in the numbers!
How are cancellations/de-bookings accounted?
Since these are dealer dispatches, cacellations are not taken into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
7000+ Eon vs 100+ brio - while the former is not even formally launched?
Any ideas why so small quantities of Brio have been shipped? Display only models vs ready to handover models (Eon)?
I guess Brio is all TD / demo vehicles while Eon has sale vehicles as well.

Good to see TATA doing better numbers with Aria, Indica & Indigo brands. Not sure why City is losing the track again - may be making some production line adjustments for Brio ? Would love to see how Eon fares against Alto, but will have to wait for one more month to see the actual numbers I guess.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:32   #37
BHPian

It's unfortunate to see Fiat's receding numbers, but it's their own doing. Make no mistake, I am a Punto owner myself and I can see why such a situation arises. For instance, I have been really struggling for the central locking accessory for GP active since the past 5 months. Neither is the dealer able to source it for me from Fiat India nor am I allowed to get it installed from the aftermarket due to warranty restrictions, and I am not the only one there are many like me who are going through similar fate.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:55   #38
BHPian

What is up with Jazz, even after the price cut? I was expecting it to clock at least 2000 units, its stuck at 500 odd. Is it production constraint? There is a huge waiting period for the Jazz, something does not add up here.

Great analysis as usual, GTO. Rated 5*
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:59   #39

Hyundai, Tata the big gainers. Maruti - just about holding the fort. Honda a big disappointment. Rest along the expected lines, more or less.
This thread has become the most awaited thread of the month. Gives the snapshot of the Indian automotive scene in a nutshell. Thanks GTO. Awesome.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:06   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
What is up with Jazz, even after the price cut? I was expecting it to clock at least 2000 units, its stuck at 500 odd. Is it production constraint? There is a huge waiting period for the Jazz, something does not add up here.
These are dealer shipment numbers and not actual customer bookings / sales. I guess Honda is not able to supply more than these. That explains the huge wait times. Hope they catch up soon. Else this will be the second time Jazz will lose out. Earlier on price front, now on supply front.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:12   #41
BHPian

Eon will land a body blow on the already languishing Spark and the Santro .I think Hyundai knows this and i am sure they are prepared to phase out this car
as ultimately it will not make any sense to go for this one instead of the newer Eon.Eon will also put a huge amount of pressure on Alto . I feel only the Alto will
be able to withstand the pressure exerted by Eon . Santro , Spark and A-star will not be able to sustain the pressure exerted by the heavyweights Eon and Alto
and i am sure they will be phased out sooner rather than later as it won't make sense to sell a thousand odd units in this entry segment.

Oh i forgot the Estilo and i am sure this has its days numbered too .

Tata killed the nano by marketing it as a one lack rupee car. The only way they can revive it is by a new marketing campaign to coincide with the launch of the diesel engine.

With Swift , Vista , Liva, Polo , Micra , Figo , i20 doing well , i simply cannot see a way back for Punto . A wonderful product let down by the decision of fiat to outsource
after sales and service support from Tata .

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 4th October 2011 at 00:15.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:16   #42
BHPian

Good to know Toyota's Etios / Liva does less than Innova. Indians rejected cheaply designed bad quality Toyota's car insulting Indian buyers.

Honda's Jazz doing poorly after arrogantly delayed price correction reflect Indians donot want to associate with this utterly failed model.
City down to 3.7K and gasping with more discounts for October festival sale. Arrogant petrol only Honda India's premium status is regularly humbled recently and is on discount sale! Good for Indian buyers

Possible to have Tata Vista's breakup figures? Safari near 2K shows People are tired of Merlin launch and took a plunge?

Poor Nano became a liability for Tata now as People in India refuse to associate with cheapest car togehter with frequent Nanaofires!

XUV500 selling 500 odd in 3days good start. I am delighted by this genuine Indian success story.

Any sales numbers of Force One?

Last edited by harimakesh : 4th October 2011 at 00:20.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post

Honda's Jazz doing poorly after arrogantly delayed price correction reflect Indians donot want to associate with this utterly failed model.
It is not a demand side problem with Jazz. It is a supply side issue. Most places, Jazz is having a waiting period of 4-6 months and some dealerships have stopped taking bookings of the Jazz till the supply improves.

That makes me wonder why did Honda reduce the price of the Jazz? Earlier, they were selling 200-300 odd. Now, they are selling 500-600. What is the big difference??
Old 4th October 2011, 00:43   #44
BHPian

Alto buyers now have an option in the eon. Interesting month in Oct. The consistent City in moving up and down. Good times seems to have started for M and M. 500 of the 500 :-). There is a marginal increase in the number of C segment Diesel cars other than the Verna. Even the Optra Magnum has higher sales. Effect of the 8 months waiting period for the Verna seems to have pushed some consumers into other brands. A steady decline for Alto 2 K less each month. It might not be long before it meets the eon numbers. It will be fun to see 2 neck to neck competitors in the entry level market. Currently only Hyndai seems to have the Infra and network to manage those volumes in the A segment. A general decline in the petrol variants of all models. Won't be long before the Govt. takes notice and tries to make the diesel ownership harder, there are talks already.

An interesting case for Honda City. This car is a choice (apart from its real value) for its high resale. The price of the City has been coming down each month, this puts a pressure on the existing owners as their resale prices also start dropping. So what was once a reason for buying is slowly getting eroded. For instance 2 years ago when only the S variant was launched the ex Show room cost was 8.45, now with the reduced value of the car and the 75K discount on it, its a steal at < 8 lakhs. So a 2 year old car which would have fetched ~ 7 Lakhs now looses it value by more than a Lakh thanks to the price drop in the new City! So those who looked at City as good car to drive and also as an investment that could fetch you good resale are now stumped. Negative impact on its value! This happened with the Fabia, but then there were few initial buyers, unlike the City.
Seems like total market has not shrunk (or not?). Dasara and Diwali season may be!
Old 4th October 2011, 00:49   #45
BHPian

Good to see 'refreshed' numbers for vista and manza.
EON surely will be new rockstar already 7 k dispatched so next month 20k???
Swift figures pretty impressive even with strike. All manufacturers are in better shape even with recession looming on. Only bad apple is FIAT with all the hoopla about diesel car at price of petrol, the sale charts are in deep water. I hope FIAT quickly brings in punto evo with refreshed interiors and also make ranjangaon as export hub for the same.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed