Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 00:50   #46
BHPian

Re: September 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Good to know Toyota's Etios / Liva does less than Innova. Indians rejected cheaply designed bad quality Toyota's car insulting Indian buyers.
I'd agree here. I have seen and handled the car in flesh and came out disappointed after 5 mins. Didn't bother with a TD. They call it Q class; God knows what that Q stands for in reality. It is good to see the Indian customers changing so one cannot fleece by brand alone. I'd rate Manza far ahead of Etios.

Bolero sales are just wow. I think it keeps selling due to lack of competition in that space. As someone else mentioned in the Force1 thread Force should have looked at a Bolero competitor.

Surprise uptick in Safari and Aria numbers. Looks like the advertising is having an effect.

Thanks for this eagerly awaited info. Made my night after returning from the Durga Puja festivities.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Interesting numbers. Come comments -

Maruti - Swift+Ritz continue to rule the B+ hatch segment with the national diesel engine. SX4 seems to dying, maybe the strike effect ? Alto future looks a little shaky considering how fresh Eon feels. I dont think Maruti is going to take it lying down and take some interesting price moves on Alto to protect it's volume player.

Hyundai - WOW ! It is turning out to be a bumper year for Hyundai. i20 is market leader in super-premium hatch, i10 gets good numbers comparable to Wagon R/Swift. Verna is a super-duper hit, deserved C segment leader with a killer price. Eon looks very fresh and if priced right has potential to garner 10-15K units.

Tata - Indica/Vista & Manza/Indica notch up impressive growth. Is the "Sedan-class" tag line working ? Nano needs a image facelift and change in exhaust note to get people to check it out. Talk of untapped potential. I am really surprised at Safari numbers, something doesnt look right.

Honda - Lack of Diesel options hurting City/Accord/Civic badly. Jazz seems to have limited production run, thats the only possible explanation for low numbers. Seems Honda is banking on Brio to fetch it big numbers.

Toyota - Glad to see Etios/Liva numbers plummeting despite Diesel engines. Toyota needs to learn that we Indians will not accept pathetic quality interiors and cost-cutting just for T-Badge (Q-Class it seems ) Fortuner is king of Premium SUV segment, worthwhile watching if XUV is going to hurt it.

Chevrolet - It's strategy of concentrating on Diesel seems to be working well. Cruze is a market success, Beat has climbed numbers on basis of diesel heart and Spark has some decent numbers. Aveo pair is a dud, guess Chevy will now bring the newly launched versions with a diesel heart.

Ford - Figo has settled it at 5k mark with VFM image. Fiesta is officially a FLOP !! Am sure we are going to see "Limited Editions" soon I think even Ford has realized it's blunder in pricing Fiesta, therefore all ads seem to be about Figo & Fiesta Classic.

Fiat - Less said the better. Linea/Punto soon to become extinct ! Remains to be seen how the brand stores will fare.

VW - Vento has settled at 3k mark, i guess VW missed a lot of its sales to Verna due to missing features. With the facelifted variant, i think its volumes will go up. Surprised to see Jetta beating out Laura ! I didnt think this is going to happen - still think Jetta numbers will go down once the initial hype dies

Skoda - Bad month for Skoda. Yeti has been rejected by Indian public thanks to high pricing & non-existent road presence. Launch of XUV should wipe out remaining numbers. I am hoping Skoda brings out the massive Skoda celebration level discounts on Laura soon ( i am thinking of getting the Laura TSi )

Nissan - Respectable numbers considering low dealer network. Sunny should bring it a lot of volumes i would think.
Old 4th October 2011, 01:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Is the demand crawling back or is it just a juggling around with despatch numbers ? I think its the later , remember that 30th September is a quarter end and who likes to give the markets bad quarterly figures - at least some silver lining in the form of month on month growth should provide some respite . A few curious cases :-

Eon - 7000 ! Hyundai should have not cooked up the books on this one they have quite a few winners in their hands, could have waited for the splash for the next month .

Etios - As someone said , the sales deservedly fell - hope this serves as a wake up call for the hallowed T badge and what people expect from it ? When the core expectation is quality , not expensive quality but functionally good quality they cannot tread a different path

Honda - Whereas one can claim that the cars are well made, reliable , etc - could we associate snob value any further ? They plummet price still the car sales falls , a case in point is City . Jazz is down to fisticuffs with the Swift on pricing and is still stuck in 3 digits sales, personally I am disappointed because the right prices Jazz is a good deal but its still far far away from being any semblance of a okay selling car . Brio is priced fairly cheap and has had a tepid beginning , I can't recollect any hot selling hatch starting off with 200 figures . There are piles of discount on Civic and Accord still they don't sell so where's the snob value of the Honda badge that one hears so often. I believe they still know how to make good cars but the snob factor is history - the company knows it too as is evident from the pricing of the Jazz .

Hyundai - Complete contrast to Honda , charges a premium and still sells loads . i20 is positioned in the higher band in its category , fluidic Verna also has the same pricing strategy yet they are selling like hot cakes . Great going !
Old 4th October 2011, 01:34   #49
BHPian

Estilo

Sadened to see Estilo settling at 1500 levels. Close to a lakh of discounts is keeping it alive.

But wonder why it's faring so badly, while all its siblings are doing great! Its shape and size lends it to be branded as a ladies car. Why isn't Maruti driving it hard?
Old 4th October 2011, 02:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Estilo is practically the same car as Wagon R. But the Wagon has more space and looks much better which is evident in sales. Maruti pretty much destroyed the Zen badge by bringing in the ugly duckling Estilo. Anyways i guess Maruti thinks whoever is putoff by Estilo's shape will buy the Wagon, so no point pushing it too much.
Old 4th October 2011, 04:50   #51
BHPian

7000 Eon already dispatched . Another winner from Hyundai.

Jazz numbers are surprising and dont justify the waiting period of close to 6 months. Problems with Japanese manufacturing and imported components playing its part I guess!
Old 4th October 2011, 05:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report card GTO, i was looking at Mitsubishi numbers, didnt find it on the list, looks like they have not yet shared the numbers. I am really surprised looking at Fortuner numbers, this car is steadily doing 1k per month which cars half its price are finding it difficult to manage, lets wait and watch how XUV impacts Fortuner (If it at all does).

Grand Vitara, Kizashi another failure from Maruti and does not seem like they are doing much to revive it, or maybe not interested in reviving it.
Old 4th October 2011, 06:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

7k + EON in Sept sales chart is a surprise.

Is the whole sales chart based on primary sales ?

Secondary sales would show the actual picture but manufacturers mostly follow the primary sales as the secondary sales is unpredictable in our diverse country. Like last week of Sept there was hardly any sale in north india due to "Shradh".
Old 4th October 2011, 07:29   #54
BHPian

A request to the mods. Can we have the columns arranged in reverse order with the latest month to the left and the oldest month to the right? This will help avoid having to scroll to the end every time.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 07:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton GTO for the superb as usual monthly figures thread. This thread gets exciting with each passing month. I guess the car manufacturers should staert taking a cue from this thread and the comments by the forum members.

Was suprised to see 7K+ nos for the Eon, has this been launched? Why would Hyundai even ship these to the dealers without any formal launch, I mean with pricing. Is Hyundai so confident that its going to sell these many numbers. Same for XUV 500. Ideally the nos of Eon. Brio, XUV should be interesting to see in Oct month sales when the actual deliveries start.

There has been lots of Ford bashing happening in the posts regarding New Fiesta pricing. One must understand that this was the first product based on the global platform which came way after Figo which was built for Indian roads. I know Ford has gone horribly wrong with the pricing and they should come up with something to rev the sales.

Why a sudden drop in City sales evebn after the recent 70K price cut? Why such a drastic drop in the SX4 numbers, not even reaching 200 mark? Is this the right time for all the car manufacturers to revisit the table and price the cars appropriately. Only time will tell.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My Analysis:
- They say, when the going gets tough, it's the weakest who are hit the most. Look at Fiat : The Linea & Punto hit an all-time low. The Punto somehow managed an average of 1K in recent months, but isn't able to sustain that with newer, fresher competition.
Is it wise to buy a Fiat now? Will a Punto bought now last 5 years?
And after 5 years, will there be any resale value for it?
Old 4th October 2011, 10:39   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

City and Jazz drop in sales could be the effect of petrol hike?
Swift will continue to dominate the B segment in sales seeing the bookings on hand!
Fiat saga continues, maybe banking on exports.
VW seems to have a decent month. October sales would be interesting,with the new launches !
Cheers,
Old 4th October 2011, 10:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Alto sales already indicate folks are waiting for Eon and have deferred their buying decision. Offcourse, it could also be due to the festival season, but alto will face the heat for the first ever time in its history.

When is the new maruti 800 shipping? I think Eon will be more expensive than the new 800 IMO.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

One of the reasons as put forth by other members are the labor problems that have plagued Maruti for the last few weeks , add to that the discounts on the City etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Why such a drastic drop in the SX4 numbers, not even reaching 200 mark? .
Old 4th October 2011, 10:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
City and Jazz drop in sales could be the effect of petrol hike?
Swift will continue to dominate the B segment in sales seeing the bookings on hand!
Till yesterday, Honda was screaming "premium" and now they overnight want to scream "value". Doesnt work that way - will take time.. Folks know Maruti cars not expensive to maintain.
Secondly, Jazz competes with Swift ZXi and i20 Asta.. Dont have details within model breakups, but I am not surprised if petrol ZXI or Asta are selling more than 1000 each..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed