Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 12:28   #76
BHPian

Re: September 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@GTO - Thank you for the detailed analysis.

- I always find it intriguing to see Dzire selling such huge numbers. I guess i am the only one who does not like the design. No offence to existing owners. Its a personal choice.

- Should we not have the Indica and Vista figures listed separately now? Even Tata is trying to disassociate Vista from the Indica brand with the refresh launch. I think T-BHP should also follow suit.
Dude, let me assure you that there are loads of people who loathe the Dzire. What makes it sell is maruti brand and cheap spares and of course the national engine a.k.a FIAT MJD 1.3
Old 4th October 2011, 12:30   #77
BHPian

Hmm.. A bit surprised by mostly positive numbers. I was expecting really dire nos.

Almost everybody other than Fiat are holding up well in such trying circumstances.

I guess as these are primary sales numbers, the dealers maybe stocking up some inventory before the festival season.

Basically the lessons learnt for most manufacturers is that nothing works as well to bump up sales than regular new model launches. If a company can plan a couple of launches a year, they can ride out at least a couple of quarters on it.

As usual, great work by GTO.

Cheers
Old 4th October 2011, 12:38   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda's stepmotherly treatment of the Jazz may possibly be explained by the fact that it shares an engine with the Brio. If Honda is putting all their money behind the Brio, no point flogging the dead horse that is the Jazz and better to cater to the demand generated by the little briother instead

What a beautiful product absolutely ruined by the company's pricing and marketing decisions!

Last edited by noopster : 4th October 2011 at 12:41.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:41   #79
BHPian

Couple of articles on tata motors
Source:moneycontrol.com

This one below pertains to delivery from tata motors and has numbers similar to numbers here at team-bhp, just that they are aggregated.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...pt_592884.html

Next one is on retail offtake of Tata Nano. Clearly dip in deliveries from tata motors in past few months can be related here. There is significant increase in retail sales for month of September. Sep retails sales was 9208 compared to 6451 in Aug. I am sure we will see huge delivery from Tata motors in Oct-11.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...nt_593277.html

I believe tata nano is great product, wish that all issues are sorted out and hey come up with nano 2.0 very soon. Though I am skeptical sales chart will go vertical even then as target market for Tata nano, i.e. first time car buyers or two wheeler upgrade are the worst hit from inflation. They are the one having hardest time to meet both ends meet and have put off car purchase for time being. Let economy settle to better days and then see with right product what Tata nano can do.

In my opinion tata should come up with nano 2.0 with a better engine, interiors, sorted out niggles, hatch door and priced at entry level eon or alto and then compete. may be a diesel engine at that price would be fantastic. Tata nano has to shed cheap car tag, it should fight out with alto and eon and then also offer stripped down version to fulfill dream of millions just my two cents

Last edited by SaneOp : 4th October 2011 at 12:42.
SaneOp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 12:48   #80
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for the sales figures GTO

First things first.. Ford Fiesta Sales has increased to 647. I hope the production issues have been sorted out.

Few surprises for me
- Safari sales at 1937 is the highest sales in this FY. With the Merlin just around the corner, i wonder who is buying so many Safaris.
- Aria Sales at 560 is again the highest sales in this FY. 4 x 2 doing the trick? With XUV around, it is only question of time, Aria will be forgotten
- Toyota Etios & Liva sales are flat inspite of their diesel avatars.
- Optra Sales has bounced back to 320 and so has Cruze.
- Honda City sales down after its astronomical sales in August
- Civic, CR-V are not finding many takers. Brio doesn't seem to have found many lovers.
- i10, i20 and Verna enjoy higher sales (I agree that all drivers in India are not enthusiastic drivers)
- Eon despatches are already high and sets itself a place in Top 20 cars. Alto sales are steadily declining. Is this the end of the Alto?
- Mahindra Bolero at 9764 is a dream come true for Mahindra
Old 4th October 2011, 13:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

- 7000 Hundai Eons distributed to dealers without a single piece sold till now; To be priced below 3L; Bestseller in the making??
- Mahindra Bolero selling nearing 10000 units is incredible
- Alto at the year's lowest BUT still at 21K units
- XUV 500 - 500 units at dealers (booking more than 10K units; Capacity 2K units/month); Another Bestseller in the making?
- Toyota Fortuner sells more than Corolla once again and at 1078 units
- Tata Indica/Vista touches 10K units first time this year; Nano slumps at 2K units; Safari sales DOUBLE at 1937 units (Everyone's going SUV!!!)
- Renauly Fluence slumps to 100 units; Kizashi 14 units, Vitara 1 unit LOLZ;
- CRV 17 units / Civic 117 / Accord 137 (ask Honda how to kill a good brand - overprice it)
- Etios sisters sell 6000 units but FLAT even after diesels
- Beat beats Figo (due to diesel), both around 5K units; Endeavour 281 at 6 monthly best
- Honda City slumps to 3.7K units even after price cuts (Due to No diesels??)
- Hyundai i20 at nearly 7K units; Verna at 5K; Santa Fe only 198 (overpriced for a Hyundai?)
- Alarm bells at Skoda; All sales down; Yeti just 50 !!; Superb 147; Laura less than 300 first time this year. DSG Failures anyone??

Last edited by dkaile : 4th October 2011 at 13:44.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 14:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

For the first time i am seeing Jetta outselling Laura. But the trend may slow down as seen with Passat where the numbers have dropped.

Overall a clear indication of people going after the diesel. Placebo effect to get a diesel may be but still keeps them happy that they arent spending too much on gas.

Good report.
Old 4th October 2011, 15:54   #83
BHPian

• Brawny Beat beating the VFM Figo! Some surprise with that 3-pot engine and the smallest boot in town!
  • Yet another confirmation of Fiesta's pricing blunder!
  • Early days yet for Brio. Jazz still doing poor numbers - supply constraints? I doubt. IMO, needs strong publicity pitch and the base variant can do with optional safety package. City again losing its sheen? Or just settling down at these decent numbers?
  • Bolero, Bole to!!! Kudos to Mahindras to get Logan to Verito with these consistent numbers.
  • Alto at 21k after eons (pun intended)! Early days yet for new Swift to comment on its numbers. DZire continues its dominance in the segment oblivious of Manza/Etios/Sunny/Repriced City. SX4-strike effect or now going Kizashi way?!
  • Great numbers there for Tata in Indica/Indigo clan. Nano remains a nano player in the market.
  • Micra and Sunny will likely help Nissan finally find its feet in the country.
  • Etios family below 6k even after diesel launch? Are diesels in limited supply, or was the launch too low-key?! Toyota ought to get worried - it sure did not bargain for such numbers in the country from the expected volume players - even Innova is doing way more numbers than either sibling. Toyota, find out what's going wrong despite all that space, performance, practicality and T-badge associated promises! Is it the interiors, or unfulfilled promises? If the latter, better sort it out to keep the whole brand from getting battered!
  • Even Polo and Vento doing better numbers than respective Etios siblings. And Jetta, oh boy!
Old 4th October 2011, 16:13   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
ModGods,
Two requests:
1. Offlate I'm observing that few people are not aware about difference between actual sales figure & dispatches. There are many such posts on September sales thread only. For example:
Mahindra sold 500 odd XUV500 in 3 days!
How come Hyundai sale 7K EON without launching?
I think a small note in first post indicating that these are showroom dispatches will lead us in creating more meaningful discussions on thread.
C'Mon, In all the sales threads till now, I guess not only mods, but many of us have pointed that these figures are dealer dispatches & NOT the actual sales at the dealership end. If some of fellow bhpians don't follow these posts completely, we cannot help it - Can we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Dude, let me assure you that there are loads of people who loathe the Dzire. What makes it sell is maruti brand and cheap spares and of course the national engine a.k.a FIAT MJD 1.3
To be frank, this is a very very practical car for India. Except for the design & cramped interiors, this makes a very strong case for itself and hence it sells.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th October 2011 at 16:15.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:14   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Read a news in today's ET that retail sales of Nano has picked up steam due to some discounts and offers. The Sept. sales figure stood at 9500+ which is very good. The report states that there is a 19k-24k discount across the range. Also there is a very low DP scheme. It seems TM has found a trick up its sleeve to entice buyers for its Nano.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Mahindra sold 500 odd XUV500 in 3 days!
How come Hyundai sale 7K EON without launching?
Although I'm not an expert - there are different ways of accounting in business - on a "cash" basis or on an "accrual" basis.

Sales can be based on actual deliveries made to customers ( "cash" received ) , or when the booking occurs( "accrual" basis). Large companies usually follow the latter method.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:40   #87
BHPian

SX4 sales were miserable last month.
Not sure whether we can attribute this to Manesar plant strike since DZire clocked more than August numbers.
Could this be the end of the road for this vehicle? If that is really the case, well, Indian market has reiterated again that Maruti just can't sell vehicles >= C segment .
Another Baleno and me all the more sad thinking what resale value will my vehicle fetch? It is not even the new VVT model. (Not that it makes much difference, anyway ;-)
Unless and until Fiat does something, Linea and SX4 can RIP together
Old 4th October 2011, 16:47   #88
Team-BHP Support

The SX4 numbers definitely point to deprioritisation / impact of labour problems. There is no way that this car would sell at sub 500 levels under normal circumstances.

Its a Maruti, and has a diesel heart now. Checks most boxes as far as a normal car buyer is concerned. Lets wait for a couple of months before writing it off.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 16:50   #89
BHPian

- Out of top 20, there are 11 hatchbacks, 4 sedans, 4 MUVs and 1 SUV!

- Following are not part of TOP 20, but performing good and had best month in the current financial year.
Ford Endy
VW Vento
TATA Aria
Toyota Liva
Toyota Fortuner
- Following are part of TOP 20, but had bad month in the current financial year!
Maruti Alto
Maruti Eeco
- Following are part of TOP 20 and had the best month in the current financial year!
Maruti WagonR
Tata Indica+Vista
Mahindra Bolero
Tata Indigo+Manza
Chevrolet Beat
Hyundai Verna
Mahindra Scorpio
PS: Did not consider Honda Brio and Hyundai EON.

Last edited by Selective : 4th October 2011 at 17:05. Reason: Removed Maruti Ritz from TOP 20 + best month list and added foot note.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:56   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
-
Following are part of TOP 20 and had the best month in the current financial year!

Maruti Ritz

Actually, Ritz did not. It sold max in July
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks