Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 10:35   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliability and hassle-free ownership: Perceptions of popular car brands on Team-

Hmm since you said cars on team-bhp and not just in India. Most of the car's are through personal experience which includes A.S.S as well as reliability.

This would be my pick as below.

Best

1 ) Lexus - Own an IS 300 - They are definitely doing everything right which the Europeans can't in this Luxury department. They still hold very good resale value due to this.
2 ) Toyota - Well known through out the world , showcased in TG as well
3 ) Mazda - Hands on experince , we own a 323 which is running from 0- 3 lakh kms and still soldiering on , albeit an aged soldier
4 ) Maruti - Still have an Esteem and the first Japanese 800 in the family, it's wonderful.
5 ) Hyundai - Hands on experience , own a few ( i10 and santro ) , used really very roughy , but it's running pretty smooth still.
6 ) Honda - Word of mouth , never owned one.
7 ) BMW - definitely in this list because we just bought one with the service package ( X1 ). But I would still not put it in this list if it was a 4-5 year old used car. It's bad since you don't have the packages to help you out here.

Worst

1 ) Ford - Few members here would know that my dealer tried to rip me off while replacing my clutch assembly in my Endeavour, had to escalate the matter literally to Alan Mulally himself to get back my money. So that's the A.S.S for you here. Off late I'm having quite a lot of problems with my engine , oil consumption too high and obviously the dealer says there is nothing wrong iwth it. I don't buy that crap anyways. I know something is wrong with it.

2 ) Skoda - Typical Europeans , great to drive and everything but when things go wrong , get ready to empty your wallets. Owned few , can't say much about our Laura , but the Octavia once aged , started breaking down quite ocassioanlly.

3 ) Mercedes - Word of mouth.

4 ) Audi - My favourite car. Right from childhood my dream is to still buy one of their car's. But their reliability is as bad as Skoda's, from my extensive research. But there are few lucky owners here on t-bhp who still have not got any major problems. Would have bought them instead of a BMW but A.S.S is also another weak point for them in our country.

5 ) Tata - Quite literally the worst. I even warned my friend not to buy the Safari. He did and is planning to sell within a year of owning it. Rusting , engine probs you name it and you can get it from a TATA. And I don't really thing their alliance with the Jaguar will help matters here , lets face it , Range Rover and Jaguar too are not names you would really associate with reliability.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 20th October 2011 at 10:49. Reason: Needed to add some more Brands
Old 20th October 2011, 11:23   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliability and hassle-free ownership: Perceptions of popular car brands on Team-

Have owned only 2 cars till date.
I would rate Honda above Hyundai.

And not just reliability, quality of service, I found Hyundai service costs (for my Santro) to be more expensive than my Honda (Jazz)...contrary to what most people think that Honda A.S.S is quite expensive.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:26   #93
Senior - BHPian

We own a Maruti and Honda vehicle and found both reliable and hassle free to own. Service wise I am much happy with Honda servicing than Maruti servicing (because of the crowd at Maruti service station).
Old 20th October 2011, 11:27   #94
Senior - BHPian

Adimicra,
It is a good new information that the the service cost of Honda is lesser than Hyundai. SO far as like others I was also thinking that, Honda's service and maintenance is costlier than Hyundai.than
Old 20th October 2011, 11:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

True , but the cars in 2 different segments , a fairer comparison would be the Brio vs Santro .

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

And not just reliability, quality of service, I found Hyundai service costs (for my Santro) to be more expensive than my Honda (Jazz)...contrary to what most people think that Honda A.S.S is quite expensive.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:50   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
True , but the cars in 2 different segments , a fairer comparison would be the Brio vs Santro .
its seem to bent-over backward comparison, in fact.
the more expensive one is in a lower segment!

to be fair, though, i have got my santro repaired a lot of times, but never seemed expensive.
Of course, i dont have a frame of reference for comparison.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Dont disagree with the Santro being inexpensive at all , i would agree with that , for me Maruti i.e the WagonR has been literally 0 cost - i have only spent on servicing and a minor dent job on the fender - nothing has gone wrong really with that car ever. The only part i keep changing as a best practice which i personally follow is the air filter , change it every 2 months at a cost of some 160-170 INR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
its seem to bent-over backward comparison, in fact.
the more expensive one is in a lower segment!

to be fair, though, i have got my santro repaired a lot of times, but never seemed expensive.
Of course, i dont have a frame of reference for comparison.
Old 20th October 2011, 20:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

Have owned mostly Marutis for the last twenty years. Must say that they have been super reliable. Barring battery problems cropping up after three years, have had no problems. My son has an Accord and he is very happy with it.

When my son drives the clutch goes in 25k km, with my driving it last at least 50k.

The difference between Maruti and Honda is that Honda require less number of service/maintenance visits in general, but the over all cost of maintenance is more, of course we are comparing a 4-5L car with a 7L+ car.

On the whole I find MUL products more resilient in case of indifferent service schedule than the competition.

My previous rides were Ambassador followed by Fiat, and boy did they require maintenance.
Old 21st October 2011, 18:04   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Have owned cars from Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota, Fiat and Skoda.

I would rank the brands as best to worst in terms of reliability and hasslefree ownership as below

1) Maruti (800, Wagon R, Esteem) : Reliable cars. Hardly anything goes wrong with them. A.S.S. is very capable in handling of issues if any. Service stations all over the place, parts reasonably priced and generally available in stock.

2) Toyota (Corolla) : Bulletproof reliability. Parts reasonably priced. Surprisingly low cost of ownership for C+ sedan. Serivce stations well trained and follow a plethora of systems taught by the Japanese. But service stations overloaded and overbooked and getting service appointments can be frustrating.

3) Hyundai (Santro): Generally reliable. Organised service support. But cost of service (esp labour) on the higher side.

4) Fiat (Palio 1.6) : Few complicated electronics in the engine tended to fail. Some of the authorised service centres completely incompetent and unable to identify problems. Parts never in stock.

The Skoda is too new to be rated for reliability and ownership experience.
Old 20th April 2013, 07:22   #100
Senior - BHPian

Based on me and my family's ownership experience, this will be how I rate it.
  1. Toyota
  2. Maruti
  3. FIAT
If I consider the opinion of my close relatives and friends who owns these brands as well, the list becomes.
  1. Toyota
  2. Maruti
  3. Hyundai
  4. Nissan
  5. Honda
  6. Mahindra ( cost of maintenance also considered, Verito maintenance cost is so cheap )
  7. Ford
  8. Chevrolet
  9. Mitsubishi
  10. VW
  11. Skoda
  12. TATA
  13. FIAT
Old 20th April 2013, 10:51   #101
BHPian

Hey, this is a nice old thread to revive

If I were to offer my rankings they would be

1. Toyota
2. Honda
3. Nissan
4. Hyundai
5. Maruti

And my list for the most unreliable cars would be
1. Skoda / VW (any VW group car)
2. Tata
3. Mahindra
4. Fiat
5. Ford

That said, I would still buy a Ford over any of the reliable Japanese cars

Last edited by kadanaJ : 20th April 2013 at 10:53.
Old 20th April 2013, 11:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
If I were to offer my rankings they would be
1. Toyota
2. Honda
3. Nissan
4. Hyundai
5. Maruti
And my list for the most unreliable cars would be
1. Skoda / VW (any VW group car)
2. Tata
3. Mahindra
4. Fiat
5. Ford
Have you owned or have had first hand experience with all these brands? Whats the basis of your rankings?

For instance, why do you think Hyundai is more reliable than VW? I am just trying to understand, nothing against your view.
Old 21st April 2013, 04:29   #103
MHG
BHPian

We owned a 2000 make Maruti 800 EX 5-speed MPFI and dad sold it and upgraded to a 2010 make Hyundai i20 Sportz 1.2 Petrol.

Maruti 800 was a gem. Zero niggles, near-zero maintenance.

i20 is perceived to be reliable, but it does have niggles. For example, the rear right door cannot be opened from the inside anymore; it needs to be opened from the outside. Haven't got this fixed due to lack of time. Music system sounds good but has niggles - sometimes glitches can be heard if you listen to rock/metal and the interface is rather slow. Service is certainly expensive.

I personally think the Indica Vista is a far better deal than the i20 for those looking for a family 5-seater. It has a much better suspension (i20 is at par with Indica V2 in ride quality), costs much less and should be a lot cheaper to service.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 22:43   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
i20 is perceived to be reliable, but it does have niggles. For example, the rear right door cannot be opened from the inside anymore; it needs to be opened from the outside. Haven't got this fixed due to lack of time.
I think the child lock is ON. Please check to ensure but if it is not the case, better to check it in service center.
Old 29th June 2013, 18:11   #105
BHPian

Just wanted to post this somewhere. Hope this is the correct thread.

Vehicle Reliability Dips, says survey:

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13062...ps-says-survey

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks