Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 13:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safari price cut? 4x4 back in all variants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
You are kidding right? when did safari became a serious offroader?

Pramod
safari can be a serious offroader .

yes, the TATAs are not that reliable like but i think it will change as they have LR brand & now (AFAIK) DB sir is also with TATA.

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 16:38   #32
AVR
BHPian

This is an interesting move given that they are launching the Merlin sometime in the near future. Is it the rumored delay that is making them offer the same lineup as earlier again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
safari can be a serious offroader .
All the above videos are actually of the older TCIC engine and not the Dicors. So obviously the 4wd Safari has gotten more capable now.
Old 15th October 2011, 01:53   #33
BHPian

Is this the final price cut or are there gonna be any more any idea people ?
Old 22nd October 2011, 02:14   #34
BHPian

Nice. Glad to know that Safari 4x4 is being offered again in EX/GX. I was getting resigned to the fact that I'd have to buy a competitor brand to get 4x4 at 1.5L-2L cheaper than a Safari VX 4x4.
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Its high time that Tata focussed on improving quality of the product rather than being a price warrior . Safari has all along had the features to be a segment leader but it has been seriously let down by the fact that one should look at it if " one can live with few niggles , few let downs throughout the ownership" . Personally I would get jittery if faced with that fact , i would not mind shelling out a couple of lakhs more and go for a better vehicle from another stable . TATA should do something like GM has done - fix the quality issues , fix the niggles , come up with 3-4 years / 100000 km warranty and then increase the price too ( 50K - 100K). "Safari starting 7.5 lakhs" is not doing anything to strengthen the sales or the brand , its a shame that Scorpio has walloped the Safari
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:03   #36
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Its high time that Tata focussed on improving quality of the product rather than being a price warrior . Safari has all along had the features to be a segment leader but it has been seriously let down by the fact that one should look at it if " one can live with few niggles , few let downs throughout the ownership" . Personally I would get jittery if faced with that fact , i would not mind shelling out a couple of lakhs more and go for a better vehicle from another stable . TATA should do something like GM has done - fix the quality issues , fix the niggles , come up with 3-4 years / 100000 km warranty and then increase the price too ( 50K - 100K). "Safari starting 7.5 lakhs" is not doing anything to strengthen the sales or the brand , its a shame that Scorpio has walloped the Safari
+1 Sourav. Very well put. I went to check the Safari and was upset seeing the pathetic interior quality in the GX. The quality of interiors were like the after market fittings done on the airport taxis. Everything is checked was bad. If Safari had better interiors, i am sure it would be a segment leader.

I am sure TATA understands this, but not sure why they are not doing anything about it.
Old 23rd October 2011, 17:49   #37
BHPian

Hi,

I visited the TM showroom (Rama Motors) in New Delhi last weekend. I was planning to buy the VX 4*4 model. After all discounts, the on-road price was coming to 14.2 lakh. I am still bargaining hard with them, but it seems that the least they can come down to is 14 lakh (on road). The discounts are basically over insurance, corporate discount, and additional discount directly from TM. They said that the insurance discount is only till diwali (i.e. the delivery has to be by diwali time). However, they seemed to be ok giving the discount even if I book around diwali time (though delivery may be later) since they are sure that TM will approve the discount.

By the way, they also informed that TM has stopped manufacturing 4/4 model in all models except the VX. And that also the VX 4/4 model is not always readily available (except the pearl white color). They say that they manufacture the 4/4 model based on demand. The TM guy (he's the TM regional sales head) even showed me an excel sheet about the availability of various models) as of last weekend. Seems that the LX and EX models in various colors are easily available (they had about 100-150 of them in various yards/transit across India). The GX model has a few availability. And the VX model (4/4) had about 8-10 available in Pearl White and 2-3 in Black (they tried hard to convince me of the PEarl White though I am more fond of the Silver). They had no other colors available in VX 4/4. He mentioned that if I am going to ask for any other color, they have to give specific orders for that and delivery would be at least about a month later.

Anyway, if they confirm the 14 lakh price to me in the next day or two, I will be booking the VX 4*4 (Silver).

-
Sourav
Old 23rd October 2011, 19:58   #38
BHPian

Hi Sourav,

If you are okay with the Noida number then check out the prices in Noida. You will get the car cheaper by 50k.

I am also in the process of booking a VX 4X4 and therefore was scouting for the deals. However since I am out of town currently, I would be able to book the car after 30 Oct only. Else would have teamed up with you to get better discounts.

Naman
Old 24th October 2011, 11:50   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
TATA should do something like GM has done - fix the quality issues , fix the niggles , come up with 3-4 years / 100000 km warranty and then increase the price too ( 50K - 100K). "Safari starting 7.5 lakhs" is not doing anything to strengthen the sales or the brand , its a shame that Scorpio has walloped the Safari
It already comes with a 4 years 150,000 kms extended warranty.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
+1 Sourav. Very well put. I went to check the Safari and was upset seeing the pathetic interior quality in the GX
Interior quality and niggles are two different things - please do not mix up the two. That said, I agree with both points of view - sorting out the niggles and revamping the interiors. Personally, though, I am okay on both fronts as I have not faced a single 'niggle' till date and neither am I a fan of bling interiors

On a side note, should this move (re-introduction of EX 4x4 and GX 4x4) be interpreted as Merlin being available only in 2WD and AWD variants (absence of a low-range transfer case)?

Last edited by cool_dube : 24th October 2011 at 12:09.
Old 24th October 2011, 12:04   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
On a side note, should this move (re-introduction of EX 4x4 and GX 4x4) be interpreted as Merlin being available only in 2WD and AWD variants (absence of a low-range transfer case)?

Possibly but unlikely then with AWD it would just be a slightly stripped down Aria in SUV clothes.

Actually AWD makes more sense than 4X4 - (before all start bashing me) for most buyers who will rarely if ever do true off roading and the simplicity of an AWD ensures they do not get into trouble even on normal roads and occational drives on sandy / grassy / oily / pebbled patches - assuming one does not go down rocky patches.

Yes there are other who do true offroading and AWD will just nor work for them, but it is an overkill for the masses and infact AWD is something that the masses can do with. But the the masses will invariably switch it off during most drives to save on fuel.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 17:15   #42
BHPian

Been to Concorde Monday, they still say 4x4 is available only on VX variant. Even the price list he handed over dint have 4x4 mentioned in EX and GX model. Will post the price list tonight.
Old 26th October 2011, 09:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju
Been to Concorde Monday, they still say 4x4 is available only on VX variant. Even the price list he handed over dint have 4x4 mentioned in EX and GX model. Will post the price list tonight.
Price list attached. Enquired about EX 4x4 still they don't have info.

Name:  ForumRunner_20111026_095211.png
Views: 775
Size:  484.4 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by arvindmanju : 26th October 2011 at 09:56.
Old 26th October 2011, 11:22   #44
BHPian

@ Arvind -
It appears that you are seeing the September prices. Here is a link to the Website of Safari:Tata Safari

In Orissa at least the 4x4 variant is available with the dealers in EX model and once booking is made they would deliver the car in a fortnight.

There are both BS3 as well as BS4 variants on offer with a price difference of around 15000/-
Old 26th October 2011, 16:46   #45
BHPian

checked again with them this the latest price list they have. he still claims the 4x4 is only in vx model

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks