Team-BHP - Post Eon, will A-Star be the new Alto?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Post Eon, will A-Star be the new Alto? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/109088-post-eon-will-star-new-alto.html)

One look at new Hyundai Eon suggets that Alto is doomed. Ok, doomed may be an overstatement but quite a lot of battering Alto may be in for. Eon is a looker ( better than even i10 ), similarly priced and Hyundai matches MUL in mass market appeal, dealer/service network etc.

If Eons vanquishes Alto, then MUL will be forced to rebadge A-Star as Alto ( which it has done overseas years ago ). In fact, A-Star IS new Alto in Europe/Australia. Will MUL then kill Alto and introduce A-Star with 3-pot 800 cc Alto engine and lower the prices?

MUL had done this before. When Maruti 800 sales were falling, MUL demoted the then B segment Alto to A segment to take 800's place. They stopped 1000cc Alto and downgraded Alto to VFM car. Prior to this downgrade, Alto sales were paltry. The downgrade catapulted Alto to where it is today topping sales charts every month since then.

Since A-star has not been a good seller since its launch AND since Alto is just no match for Eon, will MUL do same to the A-star? If it does then it will hit two birds with one stone. One, ageing Alto may be retired ( which they will have to do anyway in view of Eon ) AND TWO, A-Star's sales may get a shot in the arm.

I think Hyundai is trying to cash in on the fact the 800 is no longer avaliable in major cities.However Maruti is also planning to launch a 800 replacement (can be found elsewhere on this forum).I doubt it will make the A-star the new Alto,Maruti could answer back by price cuts or by providing better features etc in the Alto.

Lets not jump the gun. All important thing is price and fuel efficiency in this segment. Though the Eon looks like a million bucks, remains to be seen how Hyundai is going to price it and how good the fuel efficiency is.

The F.E. is slated to be 21+ kmpl and that too for a Petrol car!! It sure is the best-in-fuel-class without a doubt!

Add to that a new model, new looks, fresher technology, a Hyundai badge that is worth half a cent more than the Maruti-Suzuki, and matched pricing to boot and HMIL have a potential bomb on their hands.

I for one look forward to someone cutting down the Alto and MSIL to size. Hopefully, it will result in better customer service, improved A.s.S. and more cost benefits to the buyers!

I have already posted this thought in the Eon thread. Not necessary that the renaming is required. A Star would now compete with the Eon and the real competition will be from the day the price is officially known. Yes with price correction to the A Star. Alto K10 would continue to exist. Present Alto can exist as a still cheaper entry level car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 2534651)
....and how good the fuel efficiency is.

Eon has an ARAI certification of 21.3 kmpl or so ! I guess even if they charge a small premium over alto, this car can shake Alto's sales quite a bit.

MSIL will not react until EON starts selling like hot cakes.
Remember this is a first hatch for hyundai with a 3 cylinder engine. if we read autocar review for the car on their website, they have clearly said the refinement levels of the engine is not upto the mark.
MSIL will react only after about 6 months once EON starts selling.
Reducing A STAR price will not help, they have to get a new product in the market.

Even I think Maruti will not take any immediate decision. They would wait and see how the market reacts to the EON. Based on initial interest I am sure EON will do great numbers. Maruti would wait for some months to see EON and Alto's sales. But if EON really starts to give impressive numbers for a longer period Maruti will probably revamp A-star. BTW has A-star been revamped earlier or this is its initial launch avatar? When was A-star launched?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 2534651)
Lets not jump the gun.

+1.

I'm all in for better competition in the lower segment. Eon is an extremely competent product from Hyundai for sure.

BUT

1. It remains to be seen how Eon can be priced so low, and how close it will be to the Alto. It is a new generation product with major fluidic design flavours (Which increases costs of pressing those steel), and upmarket interiors. I wonder how they can price it significantly below the Santro.

2. Alto was a seller even when the Santro sales were on fire. Eon, IMO - will be a Santro replacement. It will take away some numbers from Alto, but it wont go anywhere close to vanquishing the same.

3. Alto is an old car. They would have recovered cost of tooling long back. If Eon, being a new car can match a sub 3L price tag, I am sure Maruti can lower the price of Alto by significant amount.

If you are thinking of buying an Alto wait till Oct, 13th, if the Eon is priced very competitively then there will be a price revision of the Alto too, Maruti can afford it, due to economies of scale and since the Alto has been around for a pretty long time. It all boils down to price & fuel efficiency.

Will A-star be the new Alto? Well, I'd say it's about time.

Suzuki Alto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eon is a much more modern car. Exterior styling is a personal choice, but many people may like the Eon with the same fluidic design language as the Verna. I think Alto still looks good especially in K10 avatar. When it comes to interiors, from the pics, Alto doesn't stand a chance compared to Eon. FE is a big factor and Alto is a proven fuel-efficient car. Hyundai petrols however doesn't seem to give the same real-world FE as their ARAI ratings. If Hyundai can price the Eon around Alto level, it's sure to make a dent in Alto sales. How big a dent, remains to be seen.

Instead of worrying about Alto/A-Star, HMIL should worry about its ageing Santro.

All shall co-exist & continue to sell well.

Owning an A star, i can vouch for the good product that it is, and i always feel it is not getting the credit it deserves plus the step motherly treatment i got from maruti a.s.s was sad.
hope eon pushes maruti to focus more on the star!

Agree to what all the members are saying here, Hyundai needs to price EON aggressively and ensure zero or low wait periods, then we are talking. Their service network is no less than Maruti, so Hyundai have that aspect covered already.

Alto 800 has been around for sometime now. If people get a better, newer product at around the same price (+/-20k) they are bound to lap it up.

A-star looks horrible.
I will prefer Alto over A-star anytime.
Eon as others have said will be taking biggest chunk out of Santro sales. Alto numbers will also suffer. But not that much.

But please, do not get rid of Alto and just keep A-star. Please.