Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2011, 23:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Most Important Feature: A "VFM Tag"

One of the most SENSIBLE threads on Team Bhp after a long spell of inane and 'timepass' threads. This one sure hits the nail on the head. Some hardcore banter here. Will stay tuned in :-)
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 23:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very very true for India. Primary reason IMHO - Car prices are still a high percentage of the annual salary of an Indian household. In Western countries, cars can be treated by many as fulfilling one's hobby - muscle cars, hardcore off-roaders, convertibles etc. While in India, buying a car is a big financial decision - so family plays a big role. Therefore we like to get as much space as possible (can't rent big cars/SUVs for outstation trips), as many features as possible (being brought up on Amby's & Padmini's i guess) & lower fuel costs (lopsided subsidy regime leaves no choice).

PS: I am sure if Diesel/Petrol prices were so different in any country, even there diesel demand would be outstripping petrol.
Old 10th October 2011, 00:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
What is the most important feature for a Car Manufacturer in India? Engine? Airbags & ABS?

And this comes in many varieties:
1. Price-to-Size
2. Price-to-Brand
3. Price-to-Shape
4. Price-to-Goldilocks

That’s probably the reason Nano isn’t doing a booming business, and both Verito and Indigo CS aren’t doing a great numbers either.
I believe the engine and safety features constitute a part of the VFM too. The Maruti SX4 is sold with the same engine as the Maruti Swift DZire. Both are sedans and both are Marutis. With that reasoning, why should a Maruti SX4 cost roughly 40% more than the Maruti Swift DZire? If the engine on the Maruti SX4 was a 1.6L diesel instead of a 1.3L diesel, perhaps it would make more sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
2. Maruti as a brand has never been able to sell its more expensive cars here.
Baleno, SX4, Vitara, and more recently Kizashi are all examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki's expensive sedan SX4 despite diesel engine doing moderately( maybe the strike now adds more to its sales wooes). Vitara and Kizhashi are pure sales duds.
The Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara costs almost 20 lakh. The Toyota Fortuner costs 20 lakh. The Toyota is popular for diesels, the Fortuner has more space, and the Fortuner 'feels' richer than the Grand Vitara in terms of looks. If the Grand Vitara were available in diesel and manufactured in India, it would sell for about 12 lakh and would strike a chord with Indian consumers as soon as it were to be re-introduced.

The SX4 is over-priced because it does not differentiate itself enough from the Swift DZire. The Kizashi is an import and would cost much less if it were locally manufactured; drop a diesel engine into it and sell for 12 lakh and its sales figures would go through the roof. 20 lakh for the Grand Vitara or the Kizashi is excessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Cars I feel are VFM:
XUV500, Scorpio mHawk, Punto 90 hp, Verna, Superb, etc.

Cars I feel are NOT VFM:
Swift, Polo, Innova, Fortuner, Aria, etc.
I would say the Swift DZire is a VFM product. In comparison to the Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara, I always thought the Toyota Fortuner is a VFM but then looked at the Tata Grande. If it were not for the reputation of the T.A.S.S., I would be driving a Grande or a Manza right now.
Old 10th October 2011, 08:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
For eg:-
1. Swift. If you trace back to the launch, everyone was skeptical whether the market will pay 5L + for a Maruti Suzuki, that too a hatchback!
Agreed! Although it seems unreal now, Swift had to struggle and fight its way to the top.

I remember TDing my first Swift in 2005 (June?). The car was parked in Central MG Road blr as part of promotion. I dropped my card and they called me for a TD on the same day. No waiting periods then! The car was awesome - great gear shifts, and great performance. But then people started complaining of its poor FE (for a Maruti) and initial sales took a hit.

The biggest breakthrough for Swift was when the deisel was launched in Q1 2007. The "fast car with great mileage" stuck.

Quote:
2. XUV500 - For the first day (before the prices were announced) - most comments were questioning Mahindra's sanity. However, once the prices were announced and the VFM proposition became clear - the whole segment turned upside down.
As I mentioned in my original post, Including me

Quote:
I always feel its the 1L car price tag that killed Nano.
Agree!

Quote:
1. Honda CRV - Once the segment leader. Gradual price increases, and petrol only option has killed the VFM factor and sales.
And with diesel SUVs like Fortuner coming at much less, they might as well fold up unless they bring a diesel option.

Quote:
2. Sonata range- Case of 'Price to Brand'. Hyundai is just not premium enough in this segment.
I am sure this is one thing that should change soon. Sonata is giving a tough time to Accord in the US, i expect things to change here too, soon enough.

Quote:
3. SantaFE - 'Price to size/ presence' + 'Price to brand'. Hyundai did a big mistake pricing it way above segment leaders such as the fortuner.
They are selling around 200 odd cars. Nowhere close to Fortuner, but not bad for a Hyundai which is priced at those levels!

Quote:
I know atleast 3 people who had owned Indica, and swore never to buy a TATA car again.
From what I heard in person and also in TBHP is that Tata definitely has come away from those levels now. How much it has increased is the question.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 10th October 2011 at 08:34.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:09   #20
BHPian

Slightly impractical parameter for most (but may make sense for many on this forum) - What is the fastest car I can buy for my budget
I remember at some point, doing math on "BHP per Lakh". I think cars that may come out winners on this parameter are Alto K10, Linea TJet, ANHC, Laura TSI and ofcourse, the Brio. As an example of the logic, if one had to buy a car with performance (say time taken to a ton from standstill) higher than Laura TSI, one would have to spend almost double the money and go get a 6 cylinder Accord or a 6 cylinder Superb. Makes the TSI intense value for money then eh?
Old 10th October 2011, 09:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Slightly impractical parameter for most (but may make sense for many on this forum) - What is the fastest car I can buy for my budget
I remember at some point, doing math on "BHP per Lakh". I think cars that may come out winners on this parameter are Alto K10, Linea TJet, ANHC, Laura TSI and ofcourse, the Brio.
Not impractical at all - that's the TBHPian in us speaking Performance was definitely a key criteria when i considered all my purchases.

But of course, we are a small select bunch of enthusiasts here!
Old 18th January 2016, 21:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Reviving the old thread.

Even on T-BHP the VFM tag is most important. Proof, COTY award. As I mentioned on that thread, there is NO WAY a non-VFM car could ever win that poll.

Nowadays companies have to fiddle with a long list of features to maintain that VFM tag else its game over. Egs. Elite i20, XUV, Baleno and now S-Cross.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 22:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Pardon me for reviving a dormant thread.

With the car prices going northward year by year, the VFMness of a car is heading towards obsolescence. I have classified VFM into 2 categories-

VFM from a Team-BHPian Perspective
1) Safety
2) Ease of Maintenance
3) Fun-factor

VFM as perceived by a Generic Buyer
1) Resale value
2) High fuel efficiency
3) Ease of Maintenance
4) A lot of Gizmo & Gadgetry

I have listed a few cars below (<Rs.10L OTR), which in my opinion are VFM for those on an ultra-tight budget.

Car [ Ex-Showroom price, Hyderabad ]
  1. Tata Nano XMA [ 3.1 L ]
  2. Reanult Kwid 1.0 RxT(O) [ 4.12 L ]
  3. Tata Tiago XZ petrol [ 5.10 L ]
  4. Maruti Baleno Delta 1.2 petrol [ 6.03L ]
  5. Ford Figo Titanium 1.5Tdci [ 6.67L ]
  6. Ford Aspire Titanium 1.5Tdci [ 7.23L ]
  7. Tata Zest XMS Diesel 75ps [ 7.29L ]
  8. Maruti Ertiga Vxi 1.4 [ 7.85L ]
  9. Maruti Vitara Brezza Vdi(O) [ 8.27L ]
  10. Ford Ecosport Trend+ Ecoboost [ 8.54L ]
  11. Maruti Ertiga Vdi SHVS [ 8.73L ]
  12. Ford Ecosport Trend+ 1.5Tdci [ 8.85L ]
Note:-
The prices mentioned above does not include any discount/offers.
All the above cars except Nano & Kwid are equipped with ABS, 2 Airbags.
The top-end versions are excluded as the budget required for the top-end version could result in cross-shopping across segments.

Thanks and please feel free to add further to the list.
Old 19th February 2019, 23:34   #24
BHPian

The Most VFM Maruti Suzuki Car?

Greetings fellow BHPians,

Maruti Suzuki, a brand with which we all can relate to in some way or the other. It has been in the industry for more than three decades and has been come out as leading car manufacturer.

True, a lot of people, including all the BHPians probably will consider most of its products as unsafe, tin can quality, still using stone age technology (1.3L diesel engine and the 4 speed AT ) but we can also agree to the fact that they provide us the VFM cars which are reliable and backed up with strong ASS.

So I had a thought in mind, out of all the Maruti Suzuki cars till date, which one would you declare the Most VFM one which gives the most Bang for the Buck yet? Here is what I think are the most VFM Maruti Suzuki cars yet:

1.Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire (1st Gen): Some might disagree with me but back in the day the features and space provided in that car were a lot for its price. The top of the line Z trim used to have ACC,steering mounted controls etc. in 2008 whereas 2012 Etios G variant doesn't provide with music system!

The Most Important Feature: A "VFM Tag"-picsart_111302.07.08.jpg

2.Maruti Suzuki Ciaz: The engines aren't the best around, and lets not even talk about the 4 speed AT but the sheer amount of space, practicality and features provided at the price point is unmatchable. Throwing in the commendable ASS and FE, you get a no nonsense car, perfect for a non enthusiast.

The Most Important Feature: A "VFM Tag"-161630.jpg

Honourable Mention: Maruti Suzuki S Cross: The pre facelift was a disiaster in terms of pricing and the plane jane looks and not so impressive feature list weren't helping either. But the solid build quality (compared to the other marutis), practicality and the lovely 1.6L diesel made it a great car. With the facelift, the price correction and looks department were handled but the 1.6L diesel was removed. WHY Maruti? WHY?
Anyway, if anyone wants a great build Maruti on sale today, that is the one to go with!

The Most Important Feature: A "VFM Tag"-marutiscrossoldvsnewfront1280x720.jpg

So what is your take on this fellow BHPians?
P.S Advance apologies for any mistakes in the post.

Cheers!
Ankit
DPetrolHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 00:11   #25
BHPian

Re: The Most VFM Maruti Suzuki Car?

IMHO, from the Maruti cars on sale now, the new Wagon R takes the cake in on a pure VFM basis.

- Maruti has priced it much closer to the outgoing model, thanks to the competition
- It betters on space, practicality and features compared to the outgoing model which was already successful.
- It offers all that comes included with the Maruti brand. The ease of maintenance, resale, service availability etc. Some not so successful MSIL models don't enjoy the same.
- It has nearly identical merits of the much more expensive models based on the same HEARTECT platform. Unfortunately none of them aren't as fun as the original Swift though the Baleno RS comes close.

Last edited by nuew : 20th February 2019 at 00:12.
Old 20th February 2019, 01:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Most VFM Maruti Suzuki Car?

Easy - it's the Omni. I can't imagine there will ever be something in the auto industry that simple and cheap that gives you so much car for the money!
Old 20th February 2019, 09:48   #27
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I feel that the Baleno, specifically the Baleno Delta petrol is the most VFM Maruti on sale right now. It has ample amount of features and bling to keep a person happy. It has got LED projectors, reverse parking sensors, rear vipers, dual airbags, ABS and much more. At this price point, the features are absolutely unmatched.

Last but not the least, unlike let's say the Ciaz or the S-Cross, the Baleno's K12 engine is the best in class. An excellent package I must say, and truly deserving of the VFM tag.

Last edited by AYP : 20th February 2019 at 09:50.

Most Viewed