Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 11:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo (Petrol) vs Swift (Petrol) on a race track. Guess who wins?

When my Swift D had the stock tyres, I used to activate the ABS when slowing down gradually from a speed as low as 60 kmph for a speedbreaker. After I changed the tyres to 195/65 R14 size, I have never activated the ABS with my regular driving. This shows how inadequate those stock tyres are!
Old 10th October 2011, 11:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can you tell me which 'actual' roads are you talking about which are as twisted as a racetrack?
Once in Yelagiri, I found the roads to be a bit closer to the kinds of a race track and a little less in traffic. I really enjoyed the little drive in my car.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
Once in Yelagiri, I found the roads to be a bit closer to the kinds of a race track and a little less in traffic. I really enjoyed the little drive in my car.
Oh..hill stations!
My point was that not many of us drive regularly on roads as twisted as racetracks.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I am glad for this test.
there have been so many put-downs on the li'l figo, that it looks bland, underpowered
But out of the factory, and onto the track - nice one, ford!

a 1.6 on this would really be something else,wont it.
Old 10th October 2011, 12:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The model shown is an OLD swift VXI with weedy 14" wheels. Though the figo will still be faster than the new swift, we would like to see how well the new swift zxi in 15" boots improve that track time.
That's the first thing I checked in the pics as no where in the article its mentioned whether they are talking about new Swift or the old one.
Old 10th October 2011, 15:53   #21
BHPian

For me, the most interesting fact was that the Figo had a power to weight ratio of 68 ps/tonne while the swift has a power to weight ration of 86 ps/tonne. That's 26% more than the Figo. And unlike the i20 which has loads of power, the swift is supposed to be a brilliant handler. Even if the swift had better rubber and would have beaten the figo by a second or two, in my books the figo would still be the winner.

Nobody is trying to prove that the petrol Figo is a powerful car, the whole point is that you don't need a bucket load of power to have a lot of fun.

Now if only ford would plonk that 1.6 mill in the figo, (and like deetjohn said, offer it in that aquarius shade), I am next in line with my cheque.
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 16:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordavenger View Post
All the more reason for Ford to seriously think about introducing the 1.6 engine to Figo. Yes, it would be the old Fiesta engine and perhaps might cannibalize some of the Classic sales, but that would be a true enthusiast's car! From the company's point of view, why not discontinue the Titanium version altogether and offer a ABS+Airbags+Alloys as an option pack on the ZXi (a la Chevrolet)?

In the Figo segment, wonder how many actually think of ABS+Airbags as a differentiating factor?

+1 - with a 1.6 engine Fogi will be really hot hatch. But Ford also need to work on the ground clearance in it. I really struggle driving in the car when the roads are bad in Bangalore :(
Old 10th October 2011, 17:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

When all you guys are talking about the Figo and the Swift, what about the fastest car on that race done by Overdrive? It's a Fabia 1.6 which did it in 2min 20sec and it even beat the Fiesta and Linea T-jet in terms of timing. It's there in the article of the link provided. I was really surprised to know that the Fabia was faster than Linea T-jet, Fiesta and Cedia. Now, that's something.
Old 10th October 2011, 20:22   #24
BHPian

Same article he mentioned about Linea-TJet

"However like all Fiats, the Linea’s steering doesn’t provide enough feedback and the feel is a bit lifeless."

Linea in known for better steering feedback. Don't know on what basis he said that.
Old 10th October 2011, 23:47   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The model shown is an OLD swift VXI with weedy 14" wheels. Though the figo will still be faster than the new swift, we would like to see how well the new swift zxi in 15" boots improve that track time.
+ 1.

Its an OLD swift VXi, pre-facelift version as i can figure out from the pic. Wasn't K series engine introduced after the facelifted version came out?

1. Why did they go for the old swift when the new generation swift was already launched? (Report shows the date 26 aug which is after their magazines with new swift drives hit the stands).

2. Even when choosing old Swift, why did they choose VXi version with 165 section tyres, and then write - The Figo runs 175/65 R14 tyres while the Swift uses 165/80 R14 tyres, another crucial factor that works in the Figo’s favour. The wider, lower profile tyres help immensely in terms of grip which just seems to go on and on.

3. If its indeed the old Swift with 1.3L engine, aren't they lying about the whole report when they mention its the 1.2L engine they tested?

4. And Fabia 1.6 is the fastest sub - 10L car around the track? Beating Fiesta 1.6 S, Cedia, Linea T-JET, Etios, SX4, Polo, Swift and Figo?

5. Read this - How can 185/60 15 tyres cause such dramatic buckling and understeer compared to 185/60 14 tyres?

The Polo’s understeer could be attributed to a front brake bias, and I think the overall weight distribution has something to do with it. Another reason I can attribute to the Polo’s understeering characteristic is the profile of the tyres. The Fabia runs 185/60 14 tyres whereas the Polo runs 185/60 15 tyres. The additional inch in the diameter and the profile ratio results in the sidewalls buckling too much under pressure which induces understeer and thus makes the car lose a bit of time.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th October 2011 at 00:06.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
3. its indeed the old Swift with 1.3L engine, aren't they lying about the whole report when they mention its the 1.2L engine they tested?
That one was an old swift, that is for sure. But, who told you that it was 1.3L?
Any data to support your claim or just a wild guess.
Old 11th October 2011, 09:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
God knows which Figo Karun was testing, but having owned both, the Figo and the Swift (1.3 G13B), here are my inputs -

1) The low end Torque on the Figo to say the least is pathetic !!
2) With the AC 'ON' the Figo feels breathless, the AC is a chiller though.
3) The Swift has much better low end torque, though it just cannot be compared to the Santro 1.1L IRDe engine, the low end torque on the Santro is phenomenal, the in gear accelerations are real quick and it is a hoot to drive in the normal city traffic.
4) This might be a bit OT, but worth a mention, the headspace on the Figo is not worth mentioning, things might change but for a 6' there is a shortage on the headspace.
5) The gear shifts on the Figo are nowhere as slick as the Swift.
6) The G13B engine is more refined than the engine on the Figo.
7) Figo loves to be revved; there is nothing at the bottom end though.
+1
I think this may be a marketing startegy by Ford to showcase their product above the competitor.
I agree to the points that @Torquedo has pointed out against the rivals. Apart from the competitive pricing there are hardly any points that show Figo above Swift.
Old 11th October 2011, 10:25   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19
Apart from the competitive pricing there are hardly any points that show Figo above Swift.
+ 1 Ankur -

The only reason why I bought the Figo for my dad was -

Santro GL Plus in March/April 2011 was being offered @ 3.77 OTR post discounts.

Figo LXi - 3.89 OTR

Basically, I thought with a mere difference of 12 grands, Figo was a better buy for my dad (I would have never bought a Figo over Santro).

The one thing that I missed out in earlier post on the Figo was the pathetic FE - with 100% AC In City the mileage is no more than 10.5 KMPL.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
When my Swift D had the stock tyres, I used to activate the ABS when slowing down gradually from a speed as low as 60 kmph for a speedbreaker. After I changed the tyres to 195/65 R14 size, I have never activated the ABS with my regular driving. This shows how inadequate those stock tyres are!
Cant agree more. I am surprised they took the car to track with 165 profile tyres. Come on over drive. Wake up.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:05   #30
BHPian

Why is there too much talk about which Swift was tested? When I saw that article around 2 months ago, I clearly saw that it is old 1.2L K-series engine.

I am an owner of Figo petrol. I agree that Figo will beat Swift on curvy roads but on a properly designed racing track, it sounds too good to be true that Figo can beat Swift. As always, these magazines reports are shoddy and pathetic in details. Where is info about track? Where are more data? I would put my bet money on Swift on a proper race track even if it had stock tires.

As for the complaint about mileage by the above person, I would say that the car is wrong for him (or his dad). I bought my Figo petrol because I wanted a car which is rev happy up to 100kph and still return decent mileage. All cars fail to give two digit mileage when they are hard-revved by me.

My almost 2 months old Figo returns an impressive 10-11kpl mileage considering 100% AC usage, always hard-revving and never being at constant speed, average 6 min waiting time at red light with full AC and the fact that my mom and sister learns driving in my Figo. I know that I need to look after my brand new Figo better
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed