Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 14:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spied: Tata Indica E-V2 XL- Update: video & more pics on P7

Apparently, the rear number plate has moved upwards - from the bumper to the tail gate.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
From the spy shots it looks like a Indigo CS (small boot) with increased cabin length. i.e. length of indigo but with longer cabin and smaller boot
Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Apparently, the rear number plate has moved upwards - from the bumper to the tail gate.
The Only segment (Probably) Tata does not have a product is the i20/Fabia category and This would probably be fit in this segment, with some features from the Manza.

More than features, I am looking out eagerly o look out for how the quality has improved.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

OD just tweeted an uncovered pic of the Indica XL !
Attached Thumbnails
Spied: Tata Indica E-V2 XL- Update: video & more pics on P7-img20130124wa0001.jpg  

fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 21:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

^^ Pray god they don't launch this.

Looks so outdated that it reminds of pre-2000 era.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 21:38   #110
BHPian

This will make a spacious cab! I think this sums it all up..
Old 25th January 2013, 12:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
^^ Pray god they don't launch this.

Looks so outdated that it reminds of pre-2000 era.
To me does not look like a vehicle that will be launched. Is it possible that, this could be a new platform they are testing using the Indica shell?.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
To me does not look like a vehicle that will be launched. Is it possible that, this could be a new platform they are testing using the Indica shell?.
Why not launch this car in China through Chery and test the market there? They love LWB cars. Apart from that, I think there would be decent takers for this car in India too.
Old 25th January 2013, 13:24   #113
BHPian

A broken front bumper on a test car!!!! Is the quality showing already?

Flap type handles in this era. Common Tata who are you kidding.

Are the radio cabs listening
Old 25th January 2013, 17:43   #114
BHPian

Could it be possible that Tata Motors is thinking of moving the rear seat bench a little forward (keeping in mind the extended wheelbase) and increasing the boot space as well, to finally arrive at Indica eXL which is a combination of:

1) Best in class passenger space (front, as well as rear due to a wheelbase of 2650 mm a la Indigo XL - next longest is i20 at 2525 mm!)

2) Best in class boot space (considering normal Indica has a 220 litre boot and the eCS on the same platform (50 mm longer) has a 380 litre boot - so a middle of the way 315 litres can be expected - which will be in the league of the Fabia - I know Jazz has a bigger boot, but then it doesn't have a diesel motor)

3) Best in class mileage with the CR4 engine (close to 25 kmpl)

4) Cheapest (diesel) car to buy in the segment (Excise benefit due to less than 4 metre length)

5) Cheapest spares & service (since most parts will be from the Indica)

The following table should explain what I'm trying to say:

Spied: Tata Indica E-V2 XL- Update: video & more pics on P7-indica-exl.jpg

This new Indica avataar might provide a combination that will be popular with the taxi segment (which in Metros atleast has taken to the more expensive Liva diesel now, due to Toyota reliability & a slightly bigger boot as compared to the Indica) and even in tier II cities

Last edited by jessie007 : 25th January 2013 at 17:45.
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 21:43   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

That car looks pretty odd to say the least! I always wonder why do they need a LWB for Indica / Indigo models. I am 6ft and I always felt the space is class leading!! What is the extra space for? I would rather look at a bigger boot where I can load my home!
Old 25th January 2013, 22:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

Add foldable trays on the front seat back rests and you get a 5+2 seater. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that comes up as an accessory, considering this is targeted for the cab segment.

Indica rarely figures into the shopping list of most private buyers these days. They should have done this on the Vista platform if they wanted to challenge i20 or Fabia. But then, like the Indigo XL and CS variants, this is a new segment that they are opening up. Only problem is that no one would acknowledge it in India as a new segment till Maruti launches something similar!

One problem with the CS versions being a hit would be on the next generation of the bigger hatchbacks. They would be designed and built to a length such that its CS version would fit inside of the 4m. Next generation of Vista could very well be shorter than the current version with XL and CS versions added to the range.
Old 28th January 2013, 14:10   #117
BHPian

Indica XL cancelled:

Quote:
....We caught up with Mr. Amit Sagar, head of Indica product group to find out more on this interesting variant that is always testing.

Mr. Sagar clarified that the basic philosophy of the Tata Indica XL was influenced by the Indigo XL – a longer version of the Indigo sedan. It was to create a hatchback (and not an MPV as we speculated) that offers supreme leg space at the back.

The Indica XL was also an offshoot of the ‘sub 4 meter’ car craze that’s hit Indian motown. But unlike other manufacturers who are trying to squeeze bigger cars into the four meter bracket, Tata Motors tried the opposite by expanding a smaller Indica (3,690 mm in length) to reach 4 meters. Unfortunately, it did not work out very well.

The added length brought several problems in the product. The turning radius increased making it difficult to maneuver in city conditions. Because of the added length, the cabin temperature control at the rear was a difficulty. Tata Motors had to fit a separate HVAC unit which increased the manufacturing cost.

Eventually, the final on road price of the Tata Indica XL started nudging the Vista’s price. Understandably no one would be willing to pay such high price for an old design.

Tata Motors also conducted market research to find out the acceptability of an enlarged hatchback. The customer feedback was that beyond a point, the rear leg space stops being a purchase criteria. The Indica and Vista already have ample space at the rear and there was no need for further extension.
Source:http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/t...-shelved-61643
sarthakgupta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks