Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 12:46   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Etios (P) beats the Maruti Suzuki SX4 hollow on a racetrack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I own a Baleno for the past 72 k kms and have done a few long enough test drives of the Etios.

A. Etios is peppy but I did not find the Baleno slower at all. In fact, at around 2500 rpm, the Baleno just takes off, and I am sure will leave etios behind. The engine is happier being stretched out compared to the etios who seems not to like higher rpms.
B. Handling : Baleno corners better and feels planted on the road at 130+ kmph compared to the Etios.

C.Build quality - The Baleno wins hands down. My car after 72 k kms / 6 year is pretty rattle free and the plastics seem they belong to a new car. Much lower road noise compared to the Etios inside the car.

D. Seating : While the Etios rear might feel like having a bit more space, the Baleno has the more comfy seating. Of course Etios boot is nearly 50% more than Baleno in

I know the Etios is a worthy competitor, and safer with ABS and airbags, but ..if the Baleno was still around, would be a fun comparo.
Handling of the Baleno was really very good but needed a tyre upgrade as the OE tyres was 165 if i remember correctly.

Baleno engine was decent on torque but higher rpm's was the stronger point.

Actually the Etios is closer to the OHC (not the Vtec). Light weight and chuckable.

Replace the tyres with 195 or 205 add a K&N intake kit and you have a pretty decent car for track use.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 13:36   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not very surprised. The SX4's dynamics dont make it a good handler, while Toyotas have been known to be spot-on in their cars dynamics so far.
Old 12th October 2011, 14:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually the Etios is closer to the OHC (not the Vtec). Light weight and chuckable.
Quite agree with you having seen both from close quarters for long and having driven both equally well on the Mumbai Pune Highway. It seems replacement of that old horse. Power-wise too they were same at 90BHP, and when it was launched (OHC), there were cries of such a low power. And seems the interior-wise also they are quite a match.

Last edited by parsh : 12th October 2011 at 14:42.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:12   #49
BHPian

It is only on the racetrack the Etios beats the SX4. How any of us buy our cars to race?? Of course fun to drive is an iportant factor but not the only one.

The SX4 is more comfortable, bigger and better looking (even though 4 years old) than the Etios. With those CHEAP interiors and quality issues, the Etios is definitely inferior to the SX4. Long way to go for the little Toyota.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:41   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The SX4 is more comfortable, bigger and better looking (even though 4 years old) than the Etios. With those CHEAP interiors and quality issues, the Etios is definitely inferior to the SX4. Long way to go for the little Toyota.
I'm sorry but that's actually funny. The SX4 is nowhere near as comfortable as the Etios. The Etios is even more comfortable than the Altis which costs twice as more.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

I don't care if Etios beats even a Ferrari. I still wouldn't buy this eyesore. And this whole exercise sounds like a cheap gimmick to push Etios down our throats.
Old 12th October 2011, 18:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Am I reading this right, the Fabia 1.6 beats the Fiesta 1.6 S (now classic) by 7 seconds.
Old 13th October 2011, 01:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
A test drive can NOT be made a parameter to compare long term build quality.
Really depends what on what one is checking. Depending on some of the observations I see, I make my own opinion about the car future, however misplaced it might be to others. For example, some points that test drives in the past have revealed are :

- Will the rough edged plastics look better over time? If they are easily scratched, will they look good after 5 years?
- If the test drive car is already rattly after 10 k kms - how will it perform after 50 k kms?
- If the doors have a problem closing after 6 months of test drive life, will they still close with a satisfying thunk after 6 years
- If the road noise is high in a new car, will it decrease after the tyres are 20k kms old?
- If the parking light is not working anymore, will the electrics be reliable over 6 months
- If the GPS has a software bug, can I expect it to be reliable after 5 years
- If the suspension is clunky, will it improve over time?
- If the seat fabric is already dirty/torn, how will this look after 5 years
- If the wiper stalk does not move with a positive click, can this be expected to "smoothen" over time
- If the carpet is already torn in the car body or lying bunched up in the car boot, will it straighten itself out over time
- if the two of the door handles are loose already, can they be expected to last 5 years

Note that the above do not apply to Etios, but just a sample of how a test drive can be used effectively to take a judgement on long term build quality of the vehicle.

Quote:
Handling of the Baleno was really very good but needed a tyre upgrade as the OE tyres was 165 if i remember correctly.

Baleno engine was decent on torque but higher rpm's was the stronger point..
I agree with you. Baleno / Baleno Lxi came with 165/80R13 and Vxi came with 185/65R14. I upgraded to 185/65R14 on day one and hence do not know how bad it handled with the puny 165 rubber.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2011 at 16:04. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 13th October 2011, 11:10   #54
BHPian

Mr Pgsagar, though you are entitled to your opinion but Toyota is not paying us to enjoy the Etios.

I may not buy an Etios again but am extremely happy with what I have. I have never encountered any Toyota sales experience that has tried to be pushy with anything.
RegularIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 11:17   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

whats with the arguments on quality/plastics/A.S.S?

As far as can be seen, the test was JUST to see what was faster around the track(in factory spec?).
I dont think the test mentioned that the etios/sx4/fabia is a better or worse buy.
Just saying.

By the way, is it really the fiesta S?
I thought it was regular 1.6.
Old 13th October 2011, 14:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry but that's actually funny. The SX4 is nowhere near as comfortable as the Etios. The Etios is even more comfortable than the Altis which costs twice as more.
No, thats not funny. I'm using the forum to express my views. I've only test driven the Etios and SX4, and thats my observation.

And regarding the Etios being more comfy than the Altis, no comments cos I haven't driven the Altis. But sure sounds like a mismatch.
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
I have driven etios P for close to 9000 kms now.
Built to cost car? Yes
Flimsy/rattles etc? Absolutely not
I would suggest people to drive the Etios P and feel the torquey enigne, slick and smooth gearshift and balanced ride and handling.
I've driven the Etios Petrol and can vouch for its performance. The great handling and braking gives a lot of confidence to the person behind the wheel to use the full power which it does have in plenty.
The only reason why I didn't go for it is the Petrol prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Didn't mean to offend any of you guys.

To each his own - But, I did check out Etios when it was launched. It is definitely built to a cost - that is much lower than what Toyota demands for it. There have been enough complaints about Etios / Liva in this forum too.

Their declining MoM sales, and their new offers 'Free Insurance' also shows that Toyota has feeling the heat. Etios / Liva will be what Logan is for Mahindra / Renault. It will no doubt sell 2-3K cars p.m. but will never capture the hearts like what Swift / i20 does. Even Vista / Manza seems to be better put together.

Just made my original statement in a lighter vein!
1) It's not 2-3k, it's 2.9k which can be put as 3k
2) Etios numbers are only for Petrol cars while Maruti's numbers are for Petrol + Diesel
3) Maruti's Diesel:Petrol booking ratio is 8:2. So, do the math on Petrol sales per month for Maruti Swift/Dzire.
4) Etios' Diesel production is severely limited by production capabilities which is expected to be improved in 6 months or so.

So, I expect this car to hit 10k per month within a year.

I booked the Etios Diesel even before its launch ( September 1st week ). My car is in transit now, and should get it within a week. And I got it only because of priority allocation for customers who are in need of this vehicle urgently ( recommended by the dealer ). My mom, who booked another Liva Diesel at the same time is yet to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Etios is a solid Toyota product. It's true value will be realised by a majority of Indian Car Customers some years down the line. There's more to this vehicle than the 'missing' upfront bling.
Very true. Practicality wins over looks n style.

Last edited by amalji : 22nd October 2011 at 08:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks