Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 21:36   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
How would you differentiate a Grande from Sumo then? It will almost be like grande except for difference in engine.

In fact i feel they should only sell taxi variant of Sumo and get that engine in grande and make it cheaper.
You are right. They should bring in the CR4 engine to Grande. But as it is, Sumo Gold also looks good and I would have bought it if the interior and the seats were better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I checked up the Tata Motors website and found out that the ex-showroom price of Sumo Gold in Goa is as follows:
Sumo is diesel and Ertiga is petrol, so I would go for Sumo. Although the difference in Goa is not much, it would be quite significant for other states.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2012 at 15:04. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 21:47   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
You are right. They should bring in the CR4 engine to Grande. But as it is, Sumo Gold also looks good and I would have bought it if the interior and the seats were better.

Sumo is diesel and Ertiga is petrol, so I would go for Sumo. Although the difference in Goa is not much, it would be quite significant for other states.
Yes, I'm aware that Ertiga VXI is petrol, but since they fall within a similar price range, hence the comparison. Moreover, ARAI readings for the two are as follows:

Ertiga (Petrol): 16.02 kmpl
Sumo (diesel): 14.7 kmpl

But keeping into account the price of both fuels, the running cost should work out similar, or may be, advantage Sumo.

Last edited by misquitas : 8th June 2012 at 21:49.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:02   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which of the two vehicles would make better sense, the Sumo Gold GX or Maruti Ertiga VXI?
The thing is, wife and I have always loved the simple but effective look of the Sumo. Driver's view is awesome and it commands (like other MUVs) better respect on the road as compared to cars. It appears to be a VFM vehicle within Rs 7.5L. We also like the Ertig, which also is a 7 seater, has great space and almost as wide and long as the Sumo.

Now, which would make a better vehicle for personal and general use?
Sumo - a Diesel and Ertiga VXI is a petrol. First choose if you are okay to pay the high price of petrol and note that in couple of years it would touch 120 mark.

Sumo Advantages:
  • Butch look
  • Diesel engine
  • Spares easily available
  • Any roadside mechanic can service a sumo.
  • High ground clearence.
  • Old 4X4 stock also available
Sumo Disadvantages:
  • Tata Quality & Niggles
  • Fit and finish still below industry standards
  • "Cab" Look. Sumo is famous in Commerical segment
  • Larger turning radius than Ertiga
  • Service center experience not as good as Maruti.
  • Sumo is 90s model design
  • No rear blower available
Ertiga Advantages:
  • Brand new design and model
  • Maruti service station coverage is unbeatable
  • Car like drivability
  • Build quality and materials better than Sumo
Ertiga Disadvantages:
  • High waiting period (For diesel)
  • Ground clearance lower than Sumo
  • Third row best suited for kids
Overall, If petrol is not a problem, Ertiga is best or if Diesel is preferred, go in for Sumo.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 8th June 2012 at 22:26.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 22:10   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Sumo Disadvantages:
  • Tata Quality & Niggles
  • Fit and finish still below industry standards
  • "Cab" Look. Sumo is famous in Commerical segment
  • Larger turning radius than Ertiga
  • Service center experience not as good as Maruti.
  • Sumo is 90s model design
  • No rear blower available
The main -- and possibly the only -- issue with Tata is the first disadvantage: Tata Quality & Niggles. A dreaded issue that has clung on to Tata. But, has the Spacio been significantly improved from its earlier incarnations?

I'm perfectly OK with the other "disadvantages" you have mentioned.

And how would the Sumo Gold compare with the Bolero? Is there any thread that compares the two?
Old 8th June 2012, 22:35   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[/list]The main -- and possibly the only -- issue with Tata is the first disadvantage: Tata Quality & Niggles. A dreaded issue that has clung on to Tata. But, has the Spacio been significantly improved from its earlier incarnations?

I'm perfectly OK with the other "disadvantages" you have mentioned.

And how would the Sumo Gold compare with the Bolero? Is there any thread that compares the two?
Yes - Tata niggles is a worry. Quality has improved. Yes Marginally. This is like a student passing the exam with 40% marks improving to 45%. Improvement Yes but not upto the competition. There are niggles reported with Aria including brake failures . If 18 lac rupee aria customer is treated this way, i dont want to comment on a 8 lac rupee sumo customer.

Ah !! the Bolero is anyday better than a Sumo. Build quality and service experience is way better than Sumo. Bolero is not as tall as sumo but bolero is a good highway performer and off-roader.

One word- If you like the bolero take it without thinking twice. Just forget the Sumo. Bolero will buy you peace of mind.

I provided some reading for you below.

(BoleroVSSumo)
(LINK)
(Bolero VS Grande)
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 23:04   #186
BHPian

I for some reason always liked the Sumo, and if I had to choose between the Bolero and Sumo, I would choose the Sumo, especially after they have bought out the new version, I see a lot of New Sumo’s on the road now a days, and I’m sure it’s way ahead now in sales compared to the Bolero.
Old 9th June 2012, 05:57   #187
BHPian

Tata vehicles are not as bad as it is portrayed. I own a safari and my brother owns an indica. My brother had absolutely no problem with indica. Even the safari is holding good after 12 years. How many vehicles in this forum have been good for 12 years?
Old 9th June 2012, 13:36   #188
BHPian

Quote:
I checked up the Tata Motors website and found out that the ex-showroom price of Sumo Gold in Goa is as follows:

Sumo Gold GX (BS 3): 684048.00
Sumo Gold GX (BS 4): 698554.00

Now, is there any significant difference between the two, in terms of performance, FE, etc?
Engine tuning is different in Bs 3 and Bs 4 version. Also the final drive ratio is different.For Bs 3 it is 3.73 where as for Bs 4 it is 3.36 .

Since final drive ratio of BS3 is shorter ( 3.73) it is the first choice in taxi segment operational in hilly region. Also the 16" tyre size offered in BS 3 version is well suited for more rough use.

It is not true that Sumo Gold has larger turning radius than Ertiga. Sumo turning radius is just 3.9 M . Now pl check Ertiga turning radius.

EDIt : Sorry for the error.The turning radius of Sumo Gold is 4.9 meters

Last edited by Eddy : 9th June 2012 at 22:17. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 9th June 2012, 22:17   #189
BHPian

Man, trying to get me wife to like either the Sumo Gold or Bolero is harder than I thought. While I consider them beauties, she has a word for them: beasts. So, the "beauty-and-the-beast" debate is still on. For now, she prefers my other choice of spacious vehicles: Jazz or the Ertiga.
Old 9th June 2012, 22:54   #190
Senior - BHPian

Well it should be simple, if your usage does not require tthe ruggedness you can still go for the cars you have mentioned...

but if you want te vehicle to be go almost anywhere types then the Sumo or Bolero would win, hpwever you will have to compromise on the drive both wont be refined as the Honda or Maruti...

but frankly i loved both of them, felt these vehicles are easier to drive then cars..

Overall Sumo takes the cake but it has the looks deficiency which can be taken care of to some extent...

Quote:
Man, trying to get me wife to like either the Sumo Gold or Bolero is harder than I thought. While I consider them beauties, she has a word for them: beasts. So, the "beauty-and-the-beast" debate is still on. For now, she prefers my other choice of spacious vehicles: Jazz or the Ertiga.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 23:07   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well it should be simple, if your usage does not require tthe ruggedness you can still go for the cars you have mentioned...

but if you want te vehicle to be go almost anywhere types then the Sumo or Bolero would win, hpwever you will have to compromise on the drive both wont be refined as the Honda or Maruti...

but frankly i loved both of them, felt these vehicles are easier to drive then cars..

Overall Sumo takes the cake but it has the looks deficiency which can be taken care of to some extent...
The reason why I'm inclined towards the Sumo/Bolero MUV option is this:

1. Driver's visibility is awesome: You can see ahead of other cars caught up in a traffic jam. A higher seating position also enhances driver judgement of the vehicle.

2. Road presence is awesome: Not many cars would want to mess around when a metal tank like a Sumo/Bolero enters or exits the road. Road presence is great and smaller cars are "very quick" to respect a Sumo/Bolero, at least here in Goa.

3. Easier to tackle potholes/speedbreakers: In a car, one has to be more careful about potholes/speedbreakers as compared to a Sumo/Bolero.

I can think of other "benefits" to a Sumo/Bolero as opposed to a Jazz/Ertiga, but then, the luxury and quality of a Jazz/Ertiga is also what keeps me afloat on the other side of the fence.

The dilemma is this: Cars like Ertiga/Jazz are becoming more "MUV-ish", while MUVs like Sumo/Bolero are becoming more "car-ish".

Last edited by misquitas : 9th June 2012 at 23:10.
Old 9th June 2012, 23:28   #192
BHPian

Quote:

Sumo Gold GX (BS 3): 684048.00
Sumo Gold GX (BS 4): 698554.00

Now, is there any significant difference between the two, in terms of performance, FE, etc?

Here in Goa, BS3 vehicles are still being sold and hence, if there is no major difference between Sumo Gold GX (BS 3) and Sumo Gold GX (BS 4).

Now, I know it is a radical comparison, but here goes: For a people carrier with decent (basic) comfort, PS, AC and G-R-E-A-T cabin space within Rs 7.5 lakh (on road), which of the two vehicles would make better sense, the Sumo Gold GX or Maruti Ertiga VXI?

I checked up the specs of the two vehicles and they are similar in the following details:

SPECS:
Ertiga: 4265 (L) x 1695 (W) x 1685 (H)
Sumo: 4258 (L) x 1700 (W) x 1925 (H)

Ground clearance:
Ertiga: 185 mm
Sumo: 190 mm

Turning radius:
Ertiga: 5.2 m
Sumo: 5 m

The thing is, wife and I have always loved the simple but effective look of the Sumo. Driver's view is awesome and it commands (like other MUVs) better respect on the road as compared to cars. It appears to be a VFM vehicle within Rs 7.5L. We also like the Ertig, which also is a 7 seater, has great space and almost as wide and long as the Sumo.

Now, which would make a better vehicle for personal and general use?

We could even consider the Sumo EX option, which is about Rs 6.35L (ex-showroom), which may work out to about Rs 7 L on road, as we are no sure about the quality of the power windows on the GX variant. In an case, the additions on the GX like fog lamps, central locking, body coloured mirrors/handles, keyless entry and rear wiper are not crucial to us; we would miss the tachometer though.
Being a Tata owner, I would say taht you should only go for a Tata product if you want a Tata product, not because it has XYZ features or looks good on paper. The old gen Tata products have had their niggles sorted out and any issues that crop up now are irritances and inconveniences, like the power windows (both my front PW units were changed under warranty, one under extended), ergonomics issues and such. Major mechanical issues are not as common anymore.

If possible, rent a Sumo Gold CR4 for a couple of days, drive it around on your usual routes and maybe on a 100+ km trip, to get the hang of it. This will be enough to get you a proper idea of what you're getting into.

So, if you want a hassle-free product that will serve you well with minimal intervention and TLC, buy the Ertiga VXi. But be prepared to pay the price with the higher running costs. No matter what the ARAI FE figures are, there's no way a 7 seater MPV can return good FE. The simple fact is this: When you own a petrol vehicle, every time you start the car, you think again whether the trip is worth it, because of the fuel cost.

Buying a Tata vehicle is kind of a gamble. You can never have it all. There will be something that you have to forfeit for the lower costs. If you're lucky, it won't be something crucial. Make sure that you follow the TBHP PDI checklist, and be courteous but firm with the dealership staff (bribe them if necessary) and you should have no issues. We have had no major, showstopper issues with our Indigo CS TDI, which has now covered 30K kms. The products are good enough, it's just that the service is mostly abysmal.

We used to have a very frugal M800 before. But here's the difference I found after switching to diesel. You don't really care about the FE anymore. Our car gives between 15 and 20 kmpl, depending on the kind of trip and the way it's driven. I have not calculated the mileage once, because it simply doesn't matter. All that matters is that I seem to be filling up less often. That has remained the same, even after the repeated price hikes. And we find that our two wheelers are being used a lot less.

If you were comparing the Sumo Gold and the Ertiga diesel, I'd have asked you to go for the Ertiga without a second thought. Since this has now become diesel vs petrol, that takes priority, at least for me.

But if fuel costs are not an issue to you, because you have a fuel allowance or are really rich, go for the Ertiga VXi. Else go for the Sumo, since you already like it.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 23:30   #193
BHPian

Quote:
I have testdriven Jazz from Mumbai to Pune. This car will never disappoint you. Honda quality is second to none.
koushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 20:48   #194
BHPian

There has been extremely negative review on Sumo Gold with various prolems on board in more than a dozen cars.It is in carwale Worst Sumo Gold - A Review on Tata Sumo by Ravi Kiran - CarWale

I am shocked with such a poor quality. Do you think it is a result of poor handling by rough drivers in transport business ?

Last edited by koushik : 23rd June 2012 at 20:51.
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:29   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik
There has been extremely negative review on Sumo Gold with various prolems on board in more than a dozen cars.It is in carwale Worst Sumo Gold - A Review on Tata Sumo by Ravi Kiran - CarWale

I am shocked with such a poor quality. Do you think it is a result of poor handling by rough drivers in transport business ?
That is a pretty silly and biased review. He starts by listing the flaws and later the driving habits that are causing these flaws. That and the powerful engine (which the reviewer wants us to believe is a bad thing) are apparently the cause of all the issues.

If you go to any vehicle manufacturer telling them that you've been riding the clutch and brakes due to traffic and the powerful engine, the will tell you where to get off. At least Tata replaced various parts without question within warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks