Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 09:43   #211
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
Sumo Gold is available in two versions. Sumo Gold BSIII and Sumo Gold BSIV (CR4 engine).May I know to which Sumo Gold you are refering to.
It has a CR4 badge in the sides...i guess it must be the BSIV version.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:40   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post

Once we hit bad roads, i realized what the driver was talking about the other day. The dashboard felt as if TATA technicians have somehow forgotten to screw it in place. Also the B pillar starts shaking, making both the doors dance along with it. TATA really needs to sort such things out. In comparison, the Bolero felt very well built. No rattling of any panels till date.
Sumo Gold has car like soft suspension and can not be handled like a serious off-roader. One needs to drive slowly on very rough road.Car with both front and rear leaf spring suspension is best for such roads. But again such cars can not give good on road performance particularly at high speed.
Old 26th June 2012, 18:35   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Sumo Gold has car like soft suspension and can not be handled like a serious off-roader. One needs to drive slowly on very rough road.Car with both front and rear leaf spring suspension is best for such roads. But again such cars can not give good on road performance particularly at high speed.
Very true that the Sumo has a very soft suspension setup. Its good for cruising over well tarred roads. Bolero in comparison has a stiffer ride. But the main point is that the Bolero feels very well built. No wonder it sells in huge numbers. Also i find that it is a preferred mode of transport where roads are not well maintained and in the Goan mining industry.
Old 26th June 2012, 19:25   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Very true that the Sumo has a very soft suspension setup. Its good for cruising over well tarred roads. Bolero in comparison has a stiffer ride. But the main point is that the Bolero feels very well built. No wonder it sells in huge numbers. Also i find that it is a preferred mode of transport where roads are not well maintained and in the Goan mining industry.
But Bolero can not cruise on highway like Gold CR4. In Bolero engine is excessively noisy at high speed.
Old 26th June 2012, 21:41   #215
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to build and styling Bolero takes the cake but in terms of handling, space and the engine it is the Sumo CR4.

I did put Sumo on rough patches and on broken road on twisties the truck behaved very well.
Old 27th June 2012, 13:10   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
When it comes to build and styling Bolero takes the cake but in terms of handling, space and the engine it is the Sumo CR4.

I did put Sumo on rough patches and on broken road on twisties the truck behaved very well.

Lohith, do you own a CR4 Gold, if then will await for your initial ownership thread very soon. Itching to do a TD also on Gold.

Which version and how much was the on-road price.

rgrds
prsn
Old 27th June 2012, 13:37   #217
Senior - BHPian

Prsn, i dont own "Sumo Gold" but was pretty close of owning one, however i picked up a Safari

Anyways have done many TD's of both Bolero and Sumo, though it was Bolero which i wanted to pick but after couple of TD's i had to rule it out, while Sumo got into my fav list once i TD the vehicle.

The only reason i can point on which i made me not choose Sumo was its looks(exterior)

I TD all the vehicles on the winding roads, bad roads which helped me in judging thier handling and comfort aspects very welll.

Sumo is a great UV, if you are ok with its looks and ordinary interior finish, however the exterior looks can be taken care for some extent..

What Sumo scores is the "practicality" part, has a good engine which is a smooth crusier, dont expect it to be a shooter.

Suspensions are great, on the ghat road i came across some huge pot holes the truck took it smoothly with out giving any jolts/bad shakes...

Very easy to drive in crowded area aswel, felt that this vehicle will suit the slow moving conditions very well.

Would suggest you to take it on a long TD and you will know the vehicles ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Lohith, do you own a CR4 Gold, if then will await for your initial ownership thread very soon. Itching to do a TD also on Gold.

Which version and how much was the on-road price.

rgrds
prsn
Old 8th July 2012, 16:54   #218
BHPian

From the rear side Sumo looks boxy and ugly as shown in the picture.It should be redesigned on the line of Toyota as shown in the other picture. As both the cars have similar body over frame construction and have similar height, Tata designers need to make it look attractive like Toyota .
The Toyota Landcruiser (short wheel base ) picture shown below has recently been introduced in the market of some South Asian countries.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-sumo-gold-cropped.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-sumo-rear.jpg  

Old 8th July 2012, 17:23   #219
Senior - BHPian

When I saw a Sumo Gold's rear for the first time, I thought that the ugly and flimsy footrest is some cheap after market fitment. But soon I saw a newer car with same footrest and I could not curse lesser to the designers who conceived this thing.
Old 8th July 2012, 21:14   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sourabh, that is an after-market unit, even if it is fitted by the dealer. So your comments can be directed away from TM, and to the one who actually made these

The one that is supplied as OEM is a very nice, fiber-enclosed unit, and can be found on Safari's and possibly the top end versions of the Sumo.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 18:01   #221
BHPian

At my suggestion a friend of mine purchased Sumo Gold GX (CR4) in castle gray colour.In gray colour surprisingly the SUV does not look boxy and the body design sounds well balanced ! I got opportunity to test drive it at my disposal.My new expierence and detailed observation is as follow.

(1) it is truely a TOUGH ONE

(2) despite short wheel base it's kerb weight is massive 1820kg.This is largely due to heavy duty rugged ladder frame chasis which can absorb large amount of energy in the event of an impact.

(3) even without ABS brakes are good

(4) interior is crude and very much basic.Instrumental pannel , control knobs, switches, buttons etc are outdated and in general most of the things inside the cabin is disappointing in terms of modern design.

(5)powerful AC

(6) it is sporty and responsive

(7) the ride quality is very good despite short wheel base

(8) the engine has typical low.... direct injection ....sound which is not annoying but rather pleasing !

(9) the engine is heard and felt mainly during acceleration.During cruising the engine is pleasently quiet.

(10)the noticeble feature is SPACE and COMFORT .No other SUV in SWB class can offer this level of space and comfort.

(11) It is truely fun to drive on road and off road

(12) Similarly as Sumo Gold with 4SPTCIC engine is offered with 16" tyres (185/85R16) , the Gold with CR4 engine should also be offered with 16" wheels ( like 235/70R16 ) .This can improve road traction during high speed cruising.

Last edited by koushik : 15th July 2012 at 18:04. Reason: spell correction
koushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 22:23   #222
Senior - BHPian

Nice report and am sure may help many who are sitting on the fence wondering

I feel the topend variant is worth the money, this vehicle is a practical vehicle.

Quote:
At my suggestion a friend of mine purchased Sumo Gold GX (CR4) in castle gray colour.In gray colour surprisingly the SUV does not look boxy and the body design sounds well balanced ! I got opportunity to test drive it at my disposal.My new expierence and detailed observation is as follow.

Old 19th August 2012, 15:54   #223
BHPian

Last week I borrowed Tata Sumo Gold GX(CR4) from my friend and made a round trip to Amarkantak in MP from Mumbai ( about 2800 kms) in five days.I am fond of long drives and have done that in recent past using Fortuner , Tavera, Scorpio , Wagon R and Indica V2 for different destinations.If I exclude Fortuner from the above list I feel that Sumo Gold is best for long drives for the following reasons based on my observation.

(1) driving ease and comfort level is such that it minimises fatigue.

(2)expansive field of view and large seats certainly maintain comfort continuesly on long drives.

(3) Gold has agile manoeuvrability....turning radius is just 4.9 M which allows manoeuvrability with ease .

(4) It has potent powerplant .The direct injection sound growling from low rpm engine can change the defination of diesel engine in noise perception.Indeed very very silent.

(5) ergonomically designed interior

(6) I was of the view that only coil spring suspension can give supple and stable ride. But that is not true in Gold.It seems that there is strategic configuration of front double wishbone suspension and rear leaf spring suspension which effectively suppresses harshness from the road.
koushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 16:33   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sumo Gold is best for long drives for the following reasons based on my observation.
No doubt - Sumo gold is a good vehicle. I personally prefer to travel in Sumo's 3rd row than a Tavera (Office Cab).

The only 2 things that let Sumo down is the "taxi" Image and Tata's Quality and Reliability
Old 19th August 2012, 18:12   #225
Senior - BHPian

Bharath, i think the "relaibility" aspect is over hyped and by many who may have never owned a TATA, otherday was speaking to someone and the man made a point on the relaibility and when asked if he had owned a TATA vehicle and had a bad experience for which he answered "no"

If one considers that a Sumo is not reliable then we would not have seen it flourishing in taxi segment, and we all know how the taxis are used and maintained...

And i completely subscribe to kaushic's view, CR4 has a charm...infact i can say its a very practical vehicle. one will be very happy with it if the look part is ignored.

On on looks, go for a AT tyre and maybe a nice set of alloys or the Safari rims, a nice bullbar and a set of hella will change the look drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
No doubt - Sumo gold is a good vehicle. I personally prefer to travel in Sumo's 3rd row than a Tavera (Office Cab).

The only 2 things that let Sumo down is the "taxi" Image and Tata's Quality and Reliability
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed