Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 10:54   #331
AVR
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Its interesting how the bad perception about TML is pulling down the Sumo Gold. Most reviewers and owners seem to be very happy. The usual Tata niggles don't seem to be an issue. Apparently, Its more spacious, more comfortable and a better handler than the Bolero.

Yet, the Bolero sells 3-4 times the Gold numbers. I remember as a kid when the Sumo was launched and how it took the market by storm.

In a recurring storyline, TML has Better concepts than execution while MM seems to have better execution than concepts.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 11:23   #332
Senior - BHPian

Not sure from what angle the sumo is spacious. One guy in my office against all advice bought a Sumo gold. Had a short td - the front seat is cramped and once I pushed the front seat back to a somewhat comfortable position, no one could sit behind me in the rear seat. On day two, the car was rattling all over the place.

On the positive side, the engine was reasonably decent and the gearbox was better than the indicas/indigos. The drive wasn't too bad if you know the limits of the vehicle as there is a massive amount of body roll.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 11:52   #333
Senior - BHPian

When compared to a Bolero, this vehicle is quiet competent, have driven it on ghat kind of roads and i was surprised to know that the vehicle handles very well. even the suspension it take bad roads without any fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Not sure from what angle the sumo is spacious. One guy in my office against all advice bought a Sumo gold. Had a short td - the front seat is cramped and once I pushed the front seat back to a somewhat comfortable position, no one could sit behind me in the rear seat. On day two, the car was rattling all over the place.

On the positive side, the engine was reasonably decent and the gearbox was better than the indicas/indigos. The drive wasn't too bad if you know the limits of the vehicle as there is a massive amount of body roll.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:39   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Hello.
I agree to the point that sumo is much better in terms of space, reliability, and almost all factors which influence an individual buyers decision.

Lets see the profile of bolero buyers
1. Typical first time suv buyer, who doesnt have enough money to buy a scorpio. I have interviewed tens of them. Intially reluctant to admit, but ultimately said, yes, its a stop gap arrangement, till the scorpio. No; they would rather die, than be seen in sumo ! before their folks, who may be their peers, neighbours, girlfriend. IMHO, the looks of the bolero seals the deal; rather than anything. The people outside dont know the factors or tears faced by the owner. They just grin and bear it to portray the MACHO image, coming out of a Bolero SUV.

2.cheers.

I dont know how true your statement is. Mind you; I am not refuting it but I have my own doubts about the generalization you used of 'doesnt have enough money to buy a scorpio'. I can only speak for myself when i say that; I have a Bolero DI (the version with no powersteering and leaf spring suspensions all around. It has an AC though). The Bolero ZLX was within my reach as was the Scorpio EX (with the same M2dicr) and the Scorpio LX (with the MHawk). I did not go in for the Scorpio because having test driven both; i felt the Scorpio to have excessive body roll and a very bouncy ride. The Bolero on the other hand had less body roll (due to its lesser height) and a not-as-much-as-a-Scorpio bouncy ride. What sealed the deal in the Bolero's favour was the fact that it came with leaf spring suspensions all around (on the DI. On the M2dicr's- it comes with IFS up front); which though having a hard ride quality- could take a lot of abuse. The IFS of the Scorpio would go bust as they cannot take so much abuse.

Also the fact that the DI engine with its bullet-proof reliability and the low end torque of a steam engine did wonders for city traffic while i had to give the Scorpio and the Bolero ZLX some gas for it to match against the DI. Add to that the low cost of ownership/spare parts/ servicing as well as the fact that any Mahindra service station in any village of India can service the Bolero, it gave me peace of mind too.

To summaize; Maybe you are right because you have interviewed many of them. But I am sure that atleast 20-25% of the Bolero buyers buy the Bolero because of its strengths over the Scorpio and not because of the lack of funds.

Last edited by rahul4321 : 30th October 2013 at 12:43. Reason: typo
rahul4321 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 03:39   #335
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy one, to give company to my Grande. And I have already thought of some modifications

If not exactly the same, it would be somewhat like this:

ashutoshb is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 08:58   #336
Senior - BHPian

@ Ashutosh,

I always thought that the Sumo will look nice with projectors and good set of alloys. however, it is time that Tata lauches it with abs and airbags.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 23:12   #337
Senior - BHPian

Does Sumo really weighs 2700 kgs?

Can anyone post its power to weight ratio?

I have gone through its website and there is no mention of its weight!
Old 6th December 2013, 23:42   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Does Sumo really weighs 2700 kgs?

Can anyone post its power to weight ratio?

I have gone through its website and there is no mention of its weight!
It is 1800 kgs. For the 85 BHP that it produces, the power to weight ratio should come to around 47 bhp/ton.
Old 6th December 2013, 23:54   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post

I dont know how true your statement is. Mind you; I am not refuting it but I have my own doubts about the generalization you used of 'doesnt have enough money to buy a scorpio'. I can only speak for myself when i say that; I have a Bolero DI (the version with no powersteering and leaf spring suspensions all around. It has an AC though). The Bolero ZLX was within my reach as was the Scorpio EX (with the same M2dicr) and the Scorpio LX (with the MHawk). I did not go in for the Scorpio because having test driven both; i felt the Scorpio to have excessive body roll and a very bouncy ride. The Bolero on the other hand had less body roll (due to its lesser height) and a not-as-much-as-a-Scorpio bouncy ride. What sealed the deal in the Bolero's favour was the fact that it came with leaf spring suspensions all around (on the DI. On the M2dicr's- it comes with IFS up front); which though having a hard ride quality- could take a lot of abuse. The IFS of the Scorpio would go bust as they cannot take so much abuse.

Also the fact that the DI engine with its bullet-proof reliability and the low end torque of a steam engine did wonders for city traffic while i had to give the Scorpio and the Bolero ZLX some gas for it to match against the DI. Add to that the low cost of ownership/spare parts/ servicing as well as the fact that any Mahindra service station in any village of India can service the Bolero, it gave me peace of mind too.

To summaize; Maybe you are right because you have interviewed many of them. But I am sure that atleast 20-25% of the Bolero buyers buy the Bolero because of its strengths over the Scorpio and not because of the lack of funds.
Totally agree with you.

I purchased a Bolero because of the same reasons as you have mentioned. I too was looking at the Scorpio as my folks liked its looks, but the Bolero had a flatter ride and overall, was much more comfortable to travel in as compared to the Scorpio.

As far as reliability issues are concerned, the Bolero is a far more reliable vehicle than the Tata or even the Scorpio. Any Bolero user in Goa will swear by the reliability of the Bolero. Mind you, most diesel vehicles in Goa cover an average of 100 Kms within the state and those who travel inter state, cover more. I've travelled with my friend in his Tata and I remember being stranded on the highway twice because of engine breakdown. In fact, most of the Tata users on Goa have reliability issues under these conditions.
Old 13th January 2014, 14:30   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Sumo Grande facelift christened ‘Movus’, launching in Auto expo.

Quote:
Movus is expected to start at Rs 8.6 Lakhs and spread across till Rs 9.8 Lakhs for the top of the line trim, ex-showroom.
http://motorbash.com/xclusive-mb-tat...ils-reveleaed/

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th January 2014 at 14:33.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 13:55   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
@ Ashutosh,

I always thought that the Sumo will look nice with projectors and good set of alloys. however, it is time that Tata lauches it with abs and airbags.
Absolutely agreed @ABS at least for the GX variant as option. But I think the problem that TML face with that is, a Gold GX ABS will primarily eat into the already small customer base of Grande (again non ABS) and even the STORME! In reality I'm in the market today, and if I get a Gold with ABS, I don't want the STORME! Apart from a status image and feeling of spending a lot of money, I don't really get much that really makes a difference in day to day use (totally a personal requirements matter. NOM)! In fact the Gold gives me a peace of mind of lower expenses!

Guys is there any option to buy a 4x4 GOLD? Or they don't make a 4x4 Sumo at all except for the military?

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th February 2014 at 13:56.
Old 16th February 2014, 20:14   #342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by filhosdegoa View Post
Totally agree with you.

As far as reliability issues are concerned, the Bolero is a far more reliable vehicle than the Tata or even the Scorpio. Any Bolero user in Goa will swear by the reliability of the Bolero. Mind you, most diesel vehicles in Goa cover an average of 100 Kms within the state and those who travel inter state, cover more. I've travelled with my friend in his Tata and I remember being stranded on the highway twice because of engine breakdown. In fact, most of the Tata users on Goa have reliability issues under these conditions.
The Bolero's reliability stems from the simple and rudimentary mechanicals. Ditto for the SUMO, now in CR4 (to meet BS4) avtar. The Sumo Gold is the Bolero's direct competitor, albeit better in respect of comfort, space, power, turning radius, visibility & FE. That's why it finds use as a call centre cab, the Innova now losing out in terms of sticker price and maintenance costs.

What conditions of Goa could be anywhere near grueling ? Gold's operate in worse conditions and inhospitable terrain - the Indian Army survives on Sumo's (for ambulances). Put a patient in a Bolero, he will die of bumps and suffocation till the journey ends ! 100 kms a day in a state is nothing, my friend. In case you stay in Delhi's satellite towns and commute to work in the city, you might end up doing 60-80 kms every day !

One friend's TATA breaking down cannot be generalized for all TATA's I guess ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Guys is there any option to buy a 4x4 GOLD? Or they don't make a 4x4 Sumo at all except for the military?
YEs, the SUMO extreme was showcased in the Auto Expo and I was told that it is to be launched soon (maybe 6 months ?). It is essentially a beefed up Gold in 4x4 avtar, whereas the military ones do not have the CR4 engine (3.0L), not yet.
Old 16th February 2014, 20:31   #343
BHPian

I always respect Tata vehicles. But let me be a little more specific and let's not consider 'One' friend's vehicle.

Mining companies in Goa own fleets of Boleros/Sumos. I know a company that owns only Boleros and ganother that owns Boleros and Sumo Vicats.

Among these if we look at a bolero after 1,00,000 km, it's going strong, but a sumo Vicata at 1,00,000km is like on its death bed.!!
Old 16th February 2014, 20:39   #344
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

If not exactly the same, it would be somewhat like this:
Hey Ashutoshs - The car looks awesome there !!

The color that you have is a factory color or have you selected a customized paint color?
The headlights, again an artistic view or there is something in the market that can be retrofitted?

Do keep us posted if you pick up one, I'm looking at doing the same.

Great job there !

Happy Motoring
Old 20th March 2014, 16:50   #345
Senior - BHPian

Finally I have managed to get hands on a review report of the Sumo Gold (courtesy Zigwheels):

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/18125/

Excerpts:
Quote:
Good: Space, ease of driving, visibility;
Bad: No lifestyle element to design, limited cabin stowage.
Apparently this is a long termer, & they will keep the updating the same at regular intervals on the overall performance of the (G)Old Sumo.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed