Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 19:56   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
only if you are ready to sponsor me a new Sumo Gold !!
Nice try.

Quote:

Ok - let me explain. The TCIC Victa is under-powered for my liking. If I switch on the a/c, the effect is immediately noticed. I am afraid that if I take a TD of the Gold, or the Safari, I may start complaining about my major dis-like of the Victa, and eventually end up thinking of a new Sumo/Safari - all when I have NO need to give up my truck.
I found zero difference between AC on and off during the TD.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:00   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Nice try.
See what I meant ?
Quote:
I found zero difference between AC on and off during the TD.
Seriously, they should have done this long back. Not so long in the life of this model. Or may be put the CR4 in the Grande.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:04   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Seriously, they should have done this long back. Not so long in the life of this model. Or may be put the CR4 in the Grande.
This is most probably the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
The alternator is now upgraded to 117 amp from 75 amp for powerful airconditioning.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 20:58   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I did a TD of the Sumo Gold Today.

Mr Vijay from Tejaswi Motors, Madhapur was accompanying me. He was not only very courteous but immensely helpful. I would give him a 5* for his patience and knowledge. And a big thumbs up to his employers for hiring him.

About the SUMO.
I LOVED IT.
Hi BB ,
Thanks for road test review.
The owner's manual indicates top speed of 120 kmh.
But as I have seen Sumo victa touching 150 kmph on youtube I think that Gold BSIV , with 20% increase in power and 11% increase in torque may be powerful enough to cross speed of 160 kmph !
I have regreted at missing 3.0L Dicor Safari but now with the same 3.0 L CR4 engine and improved NVH level , I am very much keen to opt for this car.My only hesitation is that my family members are keen for car like Innova and think about Sumo that it looks like a bus !But I am optimistic about finding some solution to get their consent.
Also condor has suggested me to wait for six months before I book Gold.
Let us wait for Condor to take test drive.I am sure he is the best person for perfect review of Sumo Gold.
Regards,
Koushik

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th January 2012 at 02:07. Reason: Please avoid quoting an entire long quote as it incoveniences our mobile users, use selective quoting instead. Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 16:43   #110
Senior - BHPian

Panchi even am i the same boat, i really liked the CR4 engine and the suspension but am leaning towards Bolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchi View Post
This morning I test drove Sumo Gold - GX. Here is my experience:

Interiors:
- Loads of space everywhere
- Good looking dash-board (for an MUV)

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th January 2012 at 21:46. Reason: Please DO NOT quoting large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 10th January 2012, 17:16   #111
Senior - BHPian

BB, Even i have developed a softcorner towards Sumo after the TD but the "looks" is something which is keeping me away, and wify is also not too pleased with it.
please try to TD Bolero aswel

Also am concerned with the reliability side, Condore would like to know your views on this.

Quote:
I did a TD of the Sumo Gold Today.

Old 11th January 2012, 15:10   #112
Senior - BHPian

My TD report o Sumo Gold

Looks:

Sumo, I personally don’t like the looks at all, added to it is the bad finish. the paint finish reminded me of a old almirah The removal of spare wheel from rear has made the Sumo look bland and the stickering on the body may have contributed to the sad look.

Interior:

Sumo, seems like Tata completely ignored or forgot to work on the looks both interior and exterior, finish and the paint looks below average, I would have expected atleast the the top end to have a better finish. Next comes front seats, the head rest is in a angle which does not support the neck instead it causes strain to neck..
Gear lever and the pedals are awkwardly placed you will need to stretch a bit to get hold of the leaver, next blunder is the pedals their seem to be a issue with the placement or the gap between the pedals, I had to be really careful not to make any mistakes and this can a big pain in heavy traffic.
However, I liked the view through the WS, also the rear leg space.

Performance:

Sumo, on paper this has better numbers compared to Bolero, this is a big “plus” of Sumo, the engine is refined and very quiet, acceleration is smooth but don’t be in hurry it takes a sweet time to get running but all the while you are assured that there is lots of power in stock. Cruising in open hiway is fun calm and sturdy but climbing up the hill I felt as if the engine ran out of the breadth, overall I really liked the way engine responds.

Braking is confident, the vehicle behaves well and controlled at highspeeds.

Suspension is another “plus”, wishbone suspension works like a charm, it gobbled up pretty big potholes and I hardly noticed, going on some bad surface the car felt smooth and even the passenger at rear seat was comfy.

Turning radius, is amazing I felt much comfortable maneuvering it then my Adventure in city, which helps big time in parking!

Gear/Clutch, not happy, the slotting of gear was not easy nor crisp,

AC is superb!
Old 11th January 2012, 18:45   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
lohithrao :.. but the "looks" is something which is keeping me away,
It's a personal thing. While I know it is boxy, and too many Sumo's around to make one bored with it's looks, I personally think that there's a subtle-ness about the design that is not appreciated as much as it should. The gentle curve from front to back, the bonnet, the waistline, the wheel-arch flares, and the angular edges at the back. Add to it the cladding. I have liked well defined looks, and I like this one.

Quote:
lohithrao : Also am concerned with the reliability side, Condore would like to know your views on this.
Six years, 70k and the truck looks good for a few more years. Atleast 2 other fellow TBHP-ians are currently using the Sumo, and none have complained. I'm leaving VarunRoy's Sumo out of the discussion.

But in case of the Gold, the engine is new- and that's where I will reserve my comments.

Quote:
lohithrao : Next comes front seats, the head rest is in a angle which does not support the neck instead it causes strain to neck..
Gear lever and the pedals are awkwardly placed you will need to stretch a bit to get hold of the leaver, next blunder is the pedals their seem to be a issue with the placement or the gap between the pedals,
Got to check it out. Dont know why /if they have made any changes in that area. Have actually felt my Sumo very comfortable. But I dont have arm rests.

Quote:
lohithrao :.. but climbing up the hill I felt as if the engine ran out of the breath
Was not expecting this.

Quote:
lohithrao : Braking is confident, the vehicle behaves well and controlled at highspeeds.

Suspension is another “plus”,
Good there.

Quote:
lohithrao :Turning radius, is amazing I felt much comfortable maneuvering it then my Adventure in city, which helps big time in parking!
A big plus for the Sumo - very manouver-able in the city.

Quote:
lohithrao : Gear/Clutch, not happy, the slotting of gear was not easy nor crisp,
Surprised again. Is the GB new ?

Quote:
lohithrao : AC is superb!
Always been a chiller.
Old 11th January 2012, 19:38   #114
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Parvath, it would be good that you do a TD and let us know your inputs

Quote:
It's a personal thing. While I know it is boxy, and too many Sumo's around to make one bored with it's looks, I personally think that there's a subtle-ness about the design that is not appreciated as much as it should. The gentle curve from front to back, the bonnet....
Well i in general not a bad looker but wht has made it look bad is the "finish", Tata should have improved for these series atleast.

Quote:
Six years, 70k and the truck looks good for a few more years. Atleast 2 other fellow TBHP-ians....
Nice, Since C4 a engine which is used in 407 etc i dont think thier wil be any huge surprises but only is the niggles which am worried about.

Quote:
Was not expecting this.
I think it may be the gear ratio or the td vehicle had a clutch issue....

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th January 2012 at 19:52. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:34   #115
BHPian

[quote=lohithrao;2642244]My TD report o Sumo Gold

k. Cruising in open hiway is fun calm and sturdy but climbing up the hill I felt as if the engine ran out of the breadth, overall I really liked the way engine responds.

Sumo Gold with CR4 engine has 36% Gradeability.With this gradeability it should be extremely comfortable for hill climbing.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:55   #116
BHPian

Tata Sumo Gold was launched on November 11th 2011 in four states.So far Tata Motors have sold 10000 units in less than three months.From March onwards Tata Motors is confident of selling more than 4000 units per month. Before November 2011 they were able to sell only 1100 units per month.It seems that Sumo Glory is regained after a big interval !
Old 16th February 2012, 17:22   #117
Senior - BHPian

New commercial:
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 12:33   #118
BHPian

Tata Sumo Gold wins Xplore category at Desert Storm Rally 2012.

This is very heartening for the new innings of this workhorse from Tata Motors' stable. The win also means that the product is ticking the right boxes as far as reliability is concerned. Coupled with best power and torque figures in the category, Tata could have a potential winner at hand.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 12:46   #119
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good news, if they improve the finish and work on the gearbox am sure they can eat into the bolero sales and also can attract buyers from the ther segments aswel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Tata Sumo Gold wins Xplore category at Desert Storm Rally 2012.

This is very heartening for the new innings of this workhorse from Tata Motors' stable. The win also means that the product is ticking the right boxes as far as reliability is concerned. Coupled with best power and torque figures in the category, Tata could have a potential winner at hand.
Old 8th March 2012, 00:50   #120
BHPian

It seems mahindra's XUV500 came 3rd in the same Desert Storm Xtreme category.

See the link:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks