Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2011, 20:53   #76
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Newly launched Tata Sumo Gold BSIV and BSIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
Both versions of Sumo Gold share the same engine , gear box and body dimensions with the following exceptions.
BSIII version has power output of 70 PS and torque of 235NM and the final drive ratio is 3.73 .
Where as for BSIV CR4 version the power is 85 PS with torque of 250 NM and the final drive ratio lowered to 3.36 .
The tyre size 185/85R16 is for BSIII version but for the CR4 BSIV version it is 215/75 R 15 LT. So the tyre is downsized from 16 inches to 15 inches for more powerful CR4 engine. Is this tyre downsizing (with increased width)is to support high speed of CR4 version ?
As I will be taking test ride of Sumo Gold BSIV CR4 version next week I wish to understand the change in tyre size. I do not think that both the tyres have the same overall diameter.

As I am looking for a SUV with big size diesel engine ( like 3000CC) and as I can not afford cars like Fortuner and Ford Explorer I am very optimistic about Sumo Gold. Will deeply appreciate addressing my point.
Regards,
Koushik
Doesn't 70 and 85 PS power sound somewhat less for a SUV? What exactly are your requirements?

Unsolicited advice (): Sumo being a age-old design, plus lack of any safety features, do you really want to get one? Why not wait for Duster or EcoSport and a get a current generation vehicle? How about XUV, did not like it?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 21:48   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Doesn't 70 and 85 PS power sound somewhat less for a SUV? What exactly are your requirements?

Unsolicited advice (): Sumo being a age-old design, plus lack of any safety features, do you really want to get one? Why not wait for Duster or EcoSport and a get a current generation vehicle? How about XUV, did not like it?
Thanks for suggesting new generation SUVs.These SUVs are good for urban use and are designed for high speed. I seldom drive above 120 kmph ! As regards to 85 PS of power and 250 NM torque of Sumo Gold it should also be considered that this output is at very low rpm which is the basic requirement of serious off roader. If you go through the specifications of 3.0L Toyota fortuner marketed in African countries like Kenya, Zimbawe , Congo etc. the specifications of Sumo Gold is much more impressive.
I will be able to share more about Sumo Gold only after taking road test next week.
Old 19th December 2011, 06:17   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Koushik, if you want to do speeds of 110-120, then I suggest the Safari. The Sumo has a shorter wheel base, and is great for city, but not as suited for higher speed cruising. Also, this is not a 4x4, so you can not really go off-roading in it.

The cost for the new one will cross 8L OTR. If you want something that can cruise at your speeds on the highway, then you could search for at least a good used Safari, which is also better in comfort/features, and has more power /torque too.
Old 19th December 2011, 08:40   #79

Kousik,

I am also in the same boat and would want to finalize either for Sumo Gold or Bolero. I am quite concerned about the NVH levels and does not need any high speed - high comfort - high cost alternatives. And I do not intent to go off-road as a passion; may be as a part of the destination!

Anyone with gyan on Sumo gold/test drive experiences, please share with us!
Old 19th December 2011, 09:53   #80
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I am still not getting a feel of what exactly are your requirements and your budget. Getting into technical specifications and comparisons can wait, let's understand your functional/performance requirements first.

PS: May be this thread should be moved to "What car?" section?

Last edited by SDP : 19th December 2011 at 10:07.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 08:48   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchi View Post
.. would want to finalize either for Sumo Gold or Bolero. I am quite concerned about the NVH levels and does not need any high speed - high comfort - high cost alternatives. us!
@Panchi, from what you have said here, do check both - Sumo Gold & Bolero. Decide after you have checked both, instead of going by opinions expressed by others. Compare both vehicles for all points & then decide.

From personal experience of the Victa GX, I think the NVH of the Sumo is fair (when compared to a SUV like Safari / Scrop). It is high at times, but as long as I keep RPM to about 2000 rpm, the NVH is also fine. Logically, the CR4 engine should be much better, and if you take the higher trim versions, this should not be a problem at all.
Old 20th December 2011, 09:32   #82
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

@Panchi and @Kousik
Sorry for going off track from Sumo refresh discussion but Have you checked XYLO D2?
Compare to Bolero, price difference would be around 60-70k, but considering sales numbers, We may expect batter offers on Xylo compare to bolero. especially In current version(Before facelift).
Old 20th December 2011, 12:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

@panchi- if you are looking at the Sumo GOld, any reason you are not considering the Grande MK II?
Old 21st December 2011, 23:41   #84
BHPian

@koushik - Looking at your posts I guess gold fits perfect in your requirements. You must be looking at EX or GX variants then.

This discussion has made one thing very clear to me
A sumo buyer is a sumo buyer. Guess the company knows this and thus keeps on refreshing the sumo despite many of the wise gentlemen from different segments keep on criticizing it for the same.
Old 22nd December 2011, 00:08   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Reduction in Kerb weight by 10% to be around 1700kgs with Good Quality interiors/ new generation infotainment........
The kerb weight of TATA Sumo GOLD is 1800 kg. Where is the reduction?
Old 22nd December 2011, 06:12   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
.. I have always found myself more comfortable and relaxed while driving SUV on a long route( over 1000 kms at a time).
Koushik, that is understandable. But having had the Sumo for a few years now, I will still suggest a Safari. The comfort levels are much better.

If you still want the Gold, pls go for the top end version. Waiting for your feedback after your TD.
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:36   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Koushik, that is understandable. But having had the Sumo for a few years now, I will still suggest a Safari. The comfort levels are much better.

If you still want the Gold, pls go for the top end version. Waiting for your feedback after your TD.
Condor thanks for your suggestion. I have something interesting to share with you. Today I went to Tata Motors for the test drive of Sumo Gold CR4 Turbo version (GX).Unfortunately the demo car was still not ready but I gathered information from the dealer that in Daman one of my friend's friend had got it three weeks back. So I went to him and he offered me his Sumo Gold CR4 GX for test drive.
The test drive was a pleasent surprise to me. In light Gold colour the car looks beautiful.Sumo Gold is a massive improvement over Sumo victa. (Victa will be discontinued very shortly).

Hand break leaver is now placed centrally. The alternator is now upgraded to 117 amp from 75 amp for powerful airconditioning.The jump seat platform is now raised. And above all NVH level is surprisingly low both in and out of cabin.May be perhaps due to CR4 turbo mechanism.
As you drive you immediately know that this is roaring and growling engine delivering amazing pick up power and pulling power.
In my view the NVH level is well comparable with Grande and Safari.

Even on a single road I comfortably reached to speed of 100kmph. On motorway I touched 120 kmph for a brief time with the same ease. It seems that anti-roll bar works properly. But still Safari has it's own test and can not be compared with Sumo Gold in every aspect.

I am interested in Gold CR4 turbo EX version for which the on road price is Rs 6.83 lacs ( including Rs 10000 discount).I wish it should be Rs 6.5 lacs. My friend has information from insider that the new SUV Tata Merlin would be launched with longer wheelbase in early 2012 and will be offered both in 2.2 L engine and 3.0 L engine ( sumo gold engine with variable geomatry turbo).In addition to your suggestion to opt for Safari I also wish to wait for launching of Merlin which can also offer monstrous 3.0 L engine
Which engine is there in your Sumo victa ? If it is 3.0 L are you happy with that?
Regards,
Koushik
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:30   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

@Koushik, good initial observations there. This is kind of expected from the 3.0L CR4.

A short drive is not enough to understand long term performance & reliability. The platform itself is proven, but the engine is a new one. But any which you look at it, even if you will not go too far beyond 100, I will still say the wheel base is a little on the short side - great for city, but not for higher speeds on highways.

My main concern against the Sumo Gold is the new engine. With either the Sumo Gold or the Merlin, I would still wait 6 months before deciding. This is another reason to lean towards a Safari.

I have a Victa GX TCIC.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:47   #89
Senior - BHPian

Before Common railing the injection, the 3.0 Turbo DI is a powerful, stable, reliable workhorse. This (half)new motor is yet to be proven.

Though common railed, sumo's sales still cant match M&M's common railed bolero unit.

Of course, the main reason being Sumo's handling/safety aspects. Bolero doesn't have ABS/air bag either, even in the top versions.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:51   #90
BHPian

That is true. One should wait for several months after launch of new product. I was delivered Tata Nano in April 2010 and in 20 months it has been upgraded twice by Tata Motors. And now there is new model with new engine design and more power .So it is better to go after proven cars.

Most Viewed