Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 01:12   #121
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Today I got opportunity to test drive again Tata Sumo Gold GX (CR4) and I am thankful to Mr. Dharmesh Desai , Test Drive Manager , Rathod Motors, Daman for full support to allow me to use demo car freely.

Just last week only I had driven Toyota fortuner all the way from Mumbai to Nagpur and later a new Tavera from Pune to Vapi. So with those driving expierence in my memory I tried to explore this 3L diesel car.

The driving seat visibility of GOLD is superb and far better than the SUVs I have mentioned.The engine is impressively quiet and responsive.The low rpm engine emits different type of low sound but that is somewhat pleasing to ears !! (It reminds me of DCM Toyota Dyna which I had used for several months ).
As the maximum torque of 250 NM is right from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm , overtaking is very easy and comfortable.Gear shifting is OK but not as good as high end SUVs.
At 2000 rpm I could comfortably reach to speed of 120 kmph on Patalia to Daman costal highway.I felt that this is perfect speed for this car on highway. I tried to push it further but could get only to 130 kmph at about 2300 rpm . The road was not that much free. But I think that at 3000 rpm the car can reach to speed of about 150 kmph.
Impressive part is manoeuvrablity . May be because of short wheelbase.It has a impressively short turning radius even with a massive bulk.Perhaps best suited for hilly undulating roads with sharp turns and equally well suited for urban and rural use. As for the highway I have travelled only 20 kms which I felt perfect. But in Condor's view , if I take it as granted, the story could be different for a long long drive!

As regards to look of the vehicle the view could be different from person to person.Sometimes simplycity can also be considered as beauty.Beauty is a relative term ! I give importance more to technical quality and value for money. Up to December end 2011 the overall monthly sale of Sumo was less than 1200 units per month. Now it is close to 5000 units per month.I think this sale data also reveals the truth.
koushik is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 10:33   #122
Senior - BHPian

Nice! those are good numbers you have touched and too good for a vehicle of this caliber.

Sumo CR4 is a very practical vehicle, it beats hands down all vehicles in 10lac range and maybe even expensive SUVs, this vehicle will fit in all condition's/traffic.

Loved the engine note, infact it sounds way better then the Dicor or Mhawk.

All in all this is certainly a perfect practical vehicle, for me the LOOKS is what made me look away

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
Today I got opportunity to test drive again Tata Sumo Gold GX (CR4) and I am thankful to Mr. Dharmesh Desai , Test Drive Manager , Rathod Motors, Daman for full support to allow me to use demo car freely.

Old 21st March 2012, 11:01   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I was never a fan of the Sumo, but took a test drive of the Gold CR4 as a time pass and came away very impressed. For about 8 lakhs on the road, I think this is one of the best options available in the market today. It is much more powerful, spacious and comfortable than it's nearest competitor the Bolero. I feel that Tata has got a winner on their hands with the Sumo Gold CR4.

If anyone is planning on a Bolero, I would request them to keep their mind open take a test drive of the Sumo Gold especially if you have a lot of highway use, since the 63 bhp/ 19kgm engine of the Bolero runs out of breath on the highways.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 11:36   #124
Senior - BHPian

Btw i dont think anyone on TBHP has picked CR4 yet? Koushik is it going to be you? waiting to read the ownership report
Old 21st March 2012, 12:42   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Btw i dont think anyone on TBHP has picked CR4 yet? Koushik is it going to be you? waiting to read the ownership report
No Lohit...not yet . I am waiting for Renault duster and Safari Storme .I will rule out Storme if price is above 10 lacs. To me the Duster sounds more interesting because of it's specifications , high speed performance , look and fuel efficiency. However if Duster cost is above 9 lacs I will surely opt for Sumo Gold EX version. It could be my best and worthy companion when in the wild !
Old 21st March 2012, 16:00   #126
BHPian

I have always liked Sumo's looks. No excesses in design. Clean, simple, boxy and masculine. Just how i like my car to be.

And it looks GOOD in maroon in this video ... Tata Sumo Gold Arrives videos
Old 21st March 2012, 18:03   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
I have always liked Sumo's looks. No excesses in design. Clean, simple, boxy and masculine. Just how i like my car to be.

The colour is actually Sardinia Red . The colour changes with the intensity of light falling on it . Some short of fluorescence like effect.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:20   #128
BHPian

Wow, never knew the same colour could look so different in different lighting conditions (see attachments below).

MODERATOR NOTE: In the interest of serving all members, please use only English for communication as well as links with English content. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-r.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-m.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 21st March 2012 at 21:53.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:57   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

Me too! I like the simple clean design. That's why I'm not liking the graphic stickering all around the body. It'll look better without them.
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:16   #130
Senior - BHPian

IMO Sumo has lot of potential to bring in numbers like Bolero.

Things which i feel might take it furthur are

+ Redesigned front/rear end to make it look broader rather than taller.
+ Better middle seat recline angle/reclining seats
+Better utilisation of space between front seats.
+Redesigned dash with better finish and cubby holes
+Redesigned door pads which should look premium
+ 2 Forward facing rear seats with space to enter from rear, not sure if this is possible, but can have a variant of this if possible
+Decrease the overall height of the vehicle by small margin if easily possible.

With all above mentioned things, they can always have a GOLD + variant

Last edited by silverado : 22nd March 2012 at 00:20.
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:20   #131
Team-BHP Support

@silverado: I would like to add better seatbelt positioning.

The current one feels very weird.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:28   #132
Senior - BHPian

Even they take care of first 2points then they have a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

+ 2 Forward facing rear seats with space to enter from rear, not sure if this is possible, but can have a variant of this if possible

Old 22nd March 2012, 13:52   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Sumo Gold I Saw at the Auto Expo already had this - the seat position has been shifted rearward compared to the regular taxi-walla version. In fact it was looking a bit odd since the rear door remains where it used to be earlier. So, there's a bit of a gap between the rear door and the rear seat.

The seat also had better recline.

The vehicle had much better finish and there were no putty marks on the rainwater channels that run along the roof.
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:01   #134
Senior - BHPian

To add something to the already feathered cap of the new sumo gold-winner in the desert storm 2012 in the XPLORE category.Grande was 3rd in the same category.The vehicle is a breaze to drive in city.TATA have already started to market the same very extensively and certain areas they have already got orders when pitched against the bolero.
ram
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:41   #135
BHPian

Quote:

You are right.The vehicle looks much taller. But if compared with earlier models, the Gold seems to have balanced body design
. Toyota fortuner looks imposing largely because of the bonnet position being raised up .So looks like a tusker taking charge .This concept is worth borrowing.

The interior design of Gold is simple and basic like a military vehicle but still to acceptable level.

The export version of Sumo is offered with 235/70R16 tyres.(pl refer to global site of Tata Motors). I do not know why they do not give this option for domestic market.

For a short wheelbase SUVs like Sumo there is a limited scope of redesigning body with this much height level.For long wheelbase SUVs options are much better.

Despite all these limitations I love this beast because of it's big heart , pick up power , generous space ( very important for me as I am six footer weighing over 100kg),ruggedness and pleasing engine growling which sounds like a melody.

Last edited by koushik : 22nd March 2012 at 17:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks