Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 13:08   #166
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot for all the advice, help and support. I went to TD a Gold and to try and convince my family that it is a good vehicle, sans image and looks, failed MISERABLY.

What then happened was this - after a week of that visit, I brought home an ARIA, Arctic Silver Pure version yesterday.

The interiors are far far superior to the Gold anyway, I had a close look at a Scorpio VLX too. The space and comfort that the ARIA provides is stupendous, the Scorpio trails into insignificance. It has all 4 discs, ABS+EBD is standard as is dual AC, projector lights (low beam), steel wheels with DUELERs, great butterfly wipe wipers. First fill : 55.5 ltrs of Diesel ! The DiCOR is a great unit - acceleration is fantastic ! NVH levels are again , VERY GOOD, you can hardly hear the engine ! Rear wipe + wash is standard, so is the demister. Music system (tested on FM only) is FANTASTIC with the 6 speakers, but cannot handle too much bass, i feel.

Will post updates and photos too !

Sandy
You have made a good decision to opt for Aria. You will never regret for it.It has a huge 2850 mm wheelbase for least bumpier ride and excellent drivability.Aria can not be compared with Gold. It is a luxury car with all in one role! As you were thinking of taller Gold , the clear advantage was of elevated driving position and short turning radius.As regards to highway cruising Sumo Gold is also good at about 100 to 120 km/h.
Old 13th May 2012, 14:20   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But there is more to the engine than just the block
It is the same engine in a different state of Tune.
Old 13th May 2012, 17:33   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It is the same engine in a different state of Tune.
CR4 engine has fixed geomatry turbo where as the other had VGT. CR4 engine is obeviously modern with Delphi system.
Old 13th May 2012, 17:55   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
What then happened was this - after a week of that visit, I brought home an ARIA, Arctic Silver Pure version yesterday.
Wow. Good decision Sandy. Surprising - you were looking for a Sumo Gold and ended up buying Aria like the other member who went looking for a Nano and bought Aria.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th May 2012 at 10:01. Reason: See note in post
Old 13th May 2012, 23:47   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
CR4 engine has fixed geomatry turbo where as the other had VGT. CR4 engine is obeviously modern with Delphi system.
Different Turbo doesn't make it a different engine. Tata uses Lucas/Delphi pump in all it's engines. No manufacturer/vendor will invest in developing an all new pump for a few 1000 models a month.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:05   #171
Senior - BHPian

Lifebuoy, congrats, i did something similar few months back.
its always better you buy something which your hear wont mind else you are in trouble in long run

Btw saw many CR4 Sumo taxis in Kerala...
Old 14th May 2012, 20:58   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Btw saw many CR4 Sumo taxis in Kerala...
I have seen hundreads of Toyota Camry cars in taxi version in my city. Can that dilute image of Camry?
Old 14th May 2012, 21:53   #173
Senior - BHPian

Koushik, actually i was trying to point on the "CR$" sales doing well

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
I have seen hundreads of Toyota Camry cars in taxi version in my city. Can that dilute image of Camry?
Old 31st May 2012, 17:51   #174
BHPian

Re: Newly launched Tata Sumo Gold BSIV and BSIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
and the Sumo 4x4's came with 215's.
Condor, please pardon my ignorance.
Did we ever have Sumo 4x4's ? I thought they never made a 4x4 version of the Sumo, since 1994. Are you referring to the military edition then?
Are they still being made? If so, does the Gold have a 4x4 variant?
Old 31st May 2012, 19:08   #175
BHPian

Re: Newly launched Tata Sumo Gold BSIV and BSIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Condor, please pardon my ignorance.
Did we ever have Sumo 4x4's ? I thought they never made a 4x4 version of the Sumo, since 1994. Are you referring to the military edition then?
Are they still being made? If so, does the Gold have a 4x4 variant?
Sumo 4x4 do exist albeit on order only production. There are two variants: one with regular Victa Engine and another one with old Safari 1.9TDi engine. Essentially, these are similar to military production vehicles but with few changes which won't affect our civilian use.

There are no 4x4 variants of Sumo Gold at present.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 20:00   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

@rpmx1000, please check these threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...i-buy-one.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...l-drive-4.html
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 23:56   #177
BHPian

Just came across website for Toyota Prado SX with short wheelbase. Like Sumo it has also 3 litre common rail diesel engine as well as very similar body dimensions including wheelbase. But there the similarity ends. Prado SX has perfect aerodynamic and pleasing looking body design where as it seems that Tata motors wants to stick to the old design only.
I do not think that this boxy design of Sumo can attract new generation customers. I believe that everything is attractive in Sumo except it's look and taxi image.
Tata should borrow the body design concept of Prado SX . I think the major reason to stick to the old design could be to sustain capability of accommodating more passengers with the third raw seats.
Old 8th June 2012, 08:14   #178
BHPian

I think to attract private butyers, Tata Sumo gold needs better bucket seats in the front (like safari), better seats at the middle, and also a better looking dashboard with 4x4 option. I would have possibly bought one if that happens.
Old 8th June 2012, 08:46   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I think to attract private butyers, Tata Sumo gold needs better bucket seats in the front (like safari), better seats at the middle, and also a better looking dashboard with 4x4 option. I would have possibly bought one if that happens.

How would you differentiate a Grande from Sumo then? It will almost be like grande except for difference in engine.

In fact i feel they should only sell taxi variant of Sumo and get that engine in grande and make it cheaper.
Old 8th June 2012, 21:32   #180
BHPian

I checked up the Tata Motors website and found out that the ex-showroom price of Sumo Gold in Goa is as follows:

Sumo Gold GX (BS 3): 684048.00
Sumo Gold GX (BS 4): 698554.00

Now, is there any significant difference between the two, in terms of performance, FE, etc?

Here in Goa, BS3 vehicles are still being sold and hence, if there is no major difference between Sumo Gold GX (BS 3) and Sumo Gold GX (BS 4).

Now, I know it is a radical comparison, but here goes: For a people carrier with decent (basic) comfort, PS, AC and G-R-E-A-T cabin space within Rs 7.5 lakh (on road), which of the two vehicles would make better sense, the Sumo Gold GX or Maruti Ertiga VXI?

I checked up the specs of the two vehicles and they are similar in the following details:

SPECS:
Ertiga: 4265 (L) x 1695 (W) x 1685 (H)
Sumo: 4258 (L) x 1700 (W) x 1925 (H)

Ground clearance:
Ertiga: 185 mm
Sumo: 190 mm

Turning radius:
Ertiga: 5.2 m
Sumo: 5 m

The thing is, wife and I have always loved the simple but effective look of the Sumo. Driver's view is awesome and it commands (like other MUVs) better respect on the road as compared to cars. It appears to be a VFM vehicle within Rs 7.5L. We also like the Ertig, which also is a 7 seater, has great space and almost as wide and long as the Sumo.

Now, which would make a better vehicle for personal and general use?

We could even consider the Sumo EX option, which is about Rs 6.35L (ex-showroom), which may work out to about Rs 7 L on road, as we are no sure about the quality of the power windows on the GX variant. In an case, the additions on the GX like fog lamps, central locking, body coloured mirrors/handles, keyless entry and rear wiper are not crucial to us; we would miss the tachometer though.

Last edited by misquitas : 8th June 2012 at 21:43.

Most Viewed