Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:37   #271
BANNED

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
My personal experience with the Sumo & Bolero is that the latter is cramped even in second seat, & have been comfortable in a Sumo even in the hills (maybe it was the driver who drove it better), & then there are experiences of my known ones. At present, I feel that Sumo has overall edge over the Bolero for me... & that's a heart thing, not caring about sales numbers.
No doubt on that .. the SUMO trumps the BOLERO on the space and comfort fronts. Not to mention the turning radius ! With better ICE and alloys, split (rear) AC, I think should make it a better proposition than the BOLERO in any case or the XYLO / Quanto. The number of White call centre cabs with Gold EX variants in Delhi / NCR itself is reason for TATA to smile yet again. (And holding out the popular trust in this people mover).

At this cost, it's definately better than the BOLERO ZLX, which tries to identify with the mordern Urban Youth (as the ads suggested for both). Pl have a look at the ZLX interiors, and compare with the Gold GX (top end), I'm sure one glance is enough to discard the ZLX, it's just trash.

I myself wanted to buy the Gold GX, but opted for the ARIA Pure instead, due to pure pressure from wife + daughter alone, no other reason !
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:40   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I never said that Bolero is bad as a Lada, but, we all have experiences. My personal experience with the Sumo & Bolero is that the latter is cramped even in second seat, & have been comfortable in a Sumo even in the hills (maybe it was the driver who drove it better), & then there are experiences of my known ones. At present, I feel that Sumo has overall edge over the Bolero for me... & that's a heart thing, not caring about sales numbers.
Sumo has:
1) New Sumo Gold has better engine so better perfromance.
2) Sumo was always known to have a soft suspension and the tyre eating habit has been rectified long back.
3) Space Sumo scores high above many other SUV's including Scorpio.
4) Sumo suffers from pathetic interior quality of plastics and nearly zero aesthetic design for the interiors.
5) Reliability I still feel Sumo is not as rugged as a Bolero. (Based on overall probability and not one one off cases, thats proved based on the Bolero sales figure).
6) Sumo's image is more of a people carrier than a vehicle which can be abused over rough roads.
7) I personally feel due to the soft suspension and higher CG, Sumo is more top heavy than Bolero.
Sumo sums up to a spacious and comfortable family vehicle with minor niggles.Sumo cannot stand up the abuse levels which a bolero can.
Bolero has:
1) Bolero is known for a very reliable and robust engine.
2) Strong, corrossion resistant body.
3) Bolero has a rugged suspension (read non comfortable) which is able to cope with bad rural roads.
4) The stance of the vehicle being a bit low slung affects its dynamic stability over bad roads. Its aided by the taut suspension.Sumo feels top heavy and more pronounced roll over during turns and big undulations.
5) Bolero has cramped seating position for nearly all the seats and ergonomics isnt too good either.
Bolero is a rural man's vehicle with the ability to withstand higher abuse and go over rough terrain day in day out,but at the cost of passenger comfort.
Above points are just my view.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 08:32   #273
BHPian

More details and pictures have surfaced on Motorbeam.com. Link to the same here -

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/tata-s...ails-pictures/

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-2013tatasumogoldcolours.jpg

May be only me, but like the subtle nature of the decals on the gray Sumo while the Red one seems very loud and in-your-face
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 08:46   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

.. err, how did it benefit the customer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
May be only me, but like the subtle nature of the decals on the gray Sumo while the Red one seems very loud and in-your-face
+1
Old 19th June 2013, 08:52   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
.. err, how did it benefit the customer ?
It appears that on the "Blazing Red", they have put all colors, including and hence the customer benefit of getting all colors in a single car?
Old 19th June 2013, 08:55   #276
Senior - BHPian

Tata Sumo Gold gets a facelift

Link to News Section

Faced with dwindling sales, Tata Motors has lined up a slew of refreshed models for the Indian car market. Essentially, these facelifts are tweaked versions of Tata Motors' existing line of passenger cars. While full model changes will happen over the next few years, the facelifts are aimed at keeping the car buyer interested in Tata products. One such car model is the facelifted Sumo Gold, an MUV that is Tata Motors's mainstay in the people mover category.

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-tata-sumo-gold-1.jpg

While the Mahindra Bolero MUV and its derivatives manage monthly numbers of about 10,000 units, the Tata Sumo continues to play catch up, selling just a fifth of the Bolero's numbers. To wean buyers away from the Bolero camp, Tata Motors has readied up a facelifted version of the Sumo Gold. With 19 new features, the Sumo Gold GX is pitted straight at the Mahindra Bolero ZLX. This is evident from the marketing material that Tata Motors has released, highlighting the various advantages of the Sumo Gold over the Bolero.

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-tata-sumo-gold-2.jpg

The Sumo Gold GX variant gets a facelift on the outside with various cosmetic bits and pieces coming together in a bid to create some more appeal in what is essentially a two decade old MUV. On the visual front, the Sumo Gold GX gets new features such as blacked out B and C pillars, a mascot on the tail gate, body graphics, wheel covers and two new colours: Blazing Red and Twilight Gray. On the whole, it would take a discerning eye to spot out the changes to the facelifted Sumo Gold's exteriors.

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-tata-sumo-gold-3.jpg

On the inside, the MUV gets roof mounted air conditioning, a factory fitted stereo player with USB and Bluetooth support, a center console with wood trim, one-touch driver-side power window and a mobile phone holder on the dashboard. A prominent change on the mechanical front concerns the hydraulic clutch, whose size has increased by 20 mm, to 260 mm. While these are the initial details, more could be revealed during the actual launch that will happen later today.

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-tata-sumo-gold-4.jpg

On the engine and gearbox front, things seem to be unchanged. The 3 liter CR4 turbo diesel motor, good for 84 Bhp-250 Nm is mated to a five speed manual gearbox as standard. The other engine on offer is a BS3 version of the 3 liter turbo diesel engine, which comes in non-common rail guise. The 3 liter TCIC engine produces 68 Bhp-223 Nm. The images in this story are courtesy a leaked Tata Motors dealer learning kit, as seen on MotorBeam.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 19th June 2013 at 09:00. Reason: News Link Added
Old 19th June 2013, 09:06   #277
Team-BHP Support

IMHO The Sumo's target customer base does not really care for these things.

The grey kind of reminds me of the Pajero.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 09:39   #278
Senior - BHPian

Tata should seriously consider designing the next generation Sumo from the Land Rover designs since they already own JLR. It would open up a new market for Sumo and can challenge all the new compact SUVs, since they can undercut them on pricing front too. Even the previous generation designs from LR/RR would look futuristic when compared to Tata's own designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The grey kind of reminds me of the Pajero.
I was about to say the same thing about grey

Red looks like a taxi already. The black-in-yellow 'GOLD' lettering at the rear reminds me of the taxi number plate.

Last edited by zenren : 19th June 2013 at 09:45.
Old 19th June 2013, 10:06   #279
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold gets a facelift

The middle row AC looks like an after market fitment. I recollect seeing a post of a similar aftermarket fitment on an Innova.

Last edited by manson : 19th June 2013 at 16:26. Reason: Please refrain from quoting large posts.
Old 19th June 2013, 10:09   #280
Senior - BHPian

Nice, i like the white/dark grey combo though the design seems to be inspired from pajero. its fine.

Hope they have sorted out the "rattling" issue, apparently its the only issue which the mechanics/SA's pointed out at TATA ASC when i ask them about the Sumo Gold.
Old 19th June 2013, 10:56   #281
Senior - BHPian

I think its really a good value for money offering, not only for the taxi segments but also the large family buyer with a tight budget.

Any idea on pricing? I think the Sumo is priced well below the bolero (which I think is over priced)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 11:32   #282
Senior - BHPian

Tata's vehicle graphics division seemingly loves this slab-sided old timer! The vehicle looks good IMO, mostly because no pointless efforts have been made to over stylize it to blitz, which is the usual fare these days, like the ugly Bolero facelifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
The middle row AC looks like an after market fitment. I recollect seeing a post of a similar aftermarket fitment on an Innova.
It's not an aftermarket fitment. It looks like one because the interiors are as big and bare as an empty mall and no efforts have been made to integrate the unit with the roof.
Old 19th June 2013, 11:50   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Tata's vehicle graphics division seemingly loves this slab-sided old timer! The vehicle looks good IMO, mostly because no pointless efforts have been made to over stylize it to blitz, which is the usual fare these days, like the ugly Bolero facelifts.

It's not an aftermarket fitment. It looks like one because the interiors are as big and bare as an empty mall and no efforts have been made to integrate the unit with the roof.
This is the post i was referring to. The AC unit looks exactly the same as the picture posted about.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-innova-3.html
Old 19th June 2013, 12:21   #284
BHPian

Personally I feel Sumo looks far batter as plain, without all these sticker jobs, These stickers would appeal more to commercial buyers IMHO.
If they are really interested in targeting urban individual buyers, they should provide Sumo without any of these sticker jobs but with more color options.
Old 19th June 2013, 12:43   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
IMHO The Sumo's target customer base does not really care for these things.
But they do care for what the customer demands. I remember a taxi operator telling me that he was planning to buy an Innova to replace his Safari (yes, he was using Safari as taxi!). When I asked him the reason, he said there was a lot of demand for Innova from customers. So if these new features appeal to those who hire taxis, probably the demand for Sumo from taxi operators would go up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Personally I feel Sumo looks far batter as plain, without all these sticker jobs. If they are really interested in targeting urban individual buyers, they should provide Sumo without any of these sticker jobs but with more color options.
Full agree with you. If well-maintained, it almost looks like a G-Wagon without them!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks