Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 12:49   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Does anyone have an idea if the Sumo has front facing third row seats?? I think with the boxy shape, the third row can be more comfortable than an Innova. If this retails at OTR less than 8 lakhs, its great value for money. But I have seen sumos rusting very very early, and from all sides.
Old 19th June 2013, 13:31   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Does anyone have an idea if the Sumo has front facing third row seats?? I think with the boxy shape, the third row can be more comfortable than an Innova. If this retails at OTR less than 8 lakhs, its great value for money. But I have seen sumos rusting very very early, and from all sides.
Sumo is much shorter than Innova- by more than 300mm (Sumo: 4258mm, Innova: 4585mm)

Front facing 3rd row cannot be accommodated in Sumo without moving the middle row seats much forward, leading to cramped leg room in both middle and third rows.
Old 19th June 2013, 14:10   #288
BHPian

If Tata is targeting personal users it will do good if they bring back the tail gate mounted spare and the bull bar. The Sumo just looks lame without them. They can just add it to the top end "personal" variant which will also help differentiate it from the lower "Taxi" variants.
Old 23rd June 2013, 14:25   #289
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Nice, i like the white/dark grey combo though the design seems to be inspired from pajero. its fine.
+1 to that. The white/black combo looks just great. The blackening of the pillars also helps in concealing the mass of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Sumo is much shorter than Innova- by more than 300mm (Sumo: 4258mm, Innova: 4585mm)

Front facing 3rd row cannot be accommodated in Sumo without moving the middle row seats much forward, leading to cramped leg room in both middle and third rows.
I guess the Grande will suit your budget and needs in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
If Tata is targeting personal users it will do good if they bring back the tail gate mounted spare and the bull bar. The Sumo just looks lame without them. They can just add it to the top end "personal" variant which will also help differentiate it from the lower "Taxi" variants.
+1 there. The SUMO was the first vehicle to have integrated bull bars in front.
Old 24th June 2013, 12:30   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
+1 there. The SUMO was the first vehicle to have integrated bull bars in front.
There's a history attached to that bullbar!

As per the excise duty structure prevalent at that time, a seven seater was entitled to concessional duty provided its unladen weight was at least 1700 KG. Therefore, the early Sumos came factory-fitted not only with that bullbar but also a roof carrier!
directinjection is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 21:06   #291
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
There's a history attached to that bullbar!

As per the excise duty structure prevalent at that time, a seven seater was entitled to concessional duty provided its unladen weight was at least 1700 KG. Therefore, the early Sumos came factory-fitted not only with that bullbar but also a roof carrier!
Well, in the Indian motor scene and the vehicle sizes, engine capacities, weight are all dancing to the taxation tunes ! Nevertheless, I must put my weight behind such rules that have spawned the "compact sedan" category, seen only in India -- lead by the eCS and aped by even Honda ! Ever wondered why Honda is not introducing the i-DTec in the City ? It does have enough power, torque and FE !

That besides, the rules brought out the bullbar, very much reqd in our scenario, where there are bulls everywhere on the roads ! The after market ones avl are just show pieces and add to weight, cause more damage in a crash and god knows if they restrict operation of the airbags in any way ?
Old 26th June 2013, 02:22   #292
Senior - BHPian

I recently saw an army Sumo, fully modded for army use, wide tyres. Looked Awesomely butch with that Army green design. Is it illegal for them to provide the same colour to regular buyers?
Old 27th June 2013, 14:58   #293
Team-BHP Support

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-sumo.jpg

From the official website.

Looks like there is a new variant Fx. It costs about 50,000 more than Ex and gets the Dual AC. Does not get power windows. Very funny tata. Now tata bye bye to your new offering.

Last edited by bblost : 27th June 2013 at 15:20.
Old 27th June 2013, 15:55   #294
Senior - BHPian

Comparing the Sumo Gold and Ertiga is not an apple to apple comparision. Better compare Sumo Gold and a top end variant of Bolero VLX or similar.

You may also consider a lower end Scorpio or Duster.
Old 29th June 2013, 16:20   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Attachment 1103165

From the official website.

Looks like there is a new variant Fx. It costs about 50,000 more than Ex and gets the Dual AC. Does not get power windows. Very funny tata. Now tata bye bye to your new offering.
But please note that Ex is offered only in BSIII version where as Fx has BSIV version and that makes huge price difference.
koushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 08:04   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
But please note that Ex is offered only in BSIII version where as Fx has BSIV version and that makes huge price difference.
As you are one of the rare sumo experts of the forum, can you share your knowledge about the water wading capabilities of the tata sumo?
Old 30th June 2013, 14:54   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
As you are one of the rare sumo experts of the forum, can you share your knowledge about the water wading capabilities of the tata sumo?
There is no official data about wading capability , bust based on my experience with Sumo taxi in Arunachal Pradesh I am sure it can wade depth of at least 600 mm.
koushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 14:35   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Sumo has:
Sumo sums up to a spacious and comfortable family vehicle with minor niggles.Sumo cannot stand up the abuse levels which a bolero can.
I appreciate the post overall, but i believe sumo can stand a much higher abuse level. In my recent road trip to leh, I could see so many Sumo, and i don't remember seeing even one bolero. Leh has some of the most unforgiving terrain. More reasons for Sumo being preferred would be -
  1. Lesser turning Radius
  2. Bigger fuel tank
  3. More clutch life
Old 1st July 2013, 18:14   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I appreciate the post overall, but i believe sumo can stand a much higher abuse level. In my recent road trip to leh, I could see so many Sumo, and i don't remember seeing even one bolero. Leh has some of the most unforgiving terrain. More reasons for Sumo being preferred would be -
  1. Lesser turning Radius
  2. Bigger fuel tank
  3. More clutch life
I think reason is more to do with Sumo can carry more people and is more comfortable for passengers. Remember these vehicles are taxis.

Bolero is also widely used in higher reaches of Himachal Pradesh.

I had chat with few cabbies in Himachal. They say SUMO is more comfortable/more space/good cruiser. Bolero is more robust and requires less maintenance/repair. Also Bolero is better at crawling up slopes due to low gearing and low end torque.
JediKnight is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 10:50   #300
BHPian

heres a list of all variants available,including the 4wd!

SUMO GOLD CR4

cx 7/9 BS4 - 610813
lx 7/9 BS4 - 648113
ex 7/9 BS4 - 681822
gx 7/9 BS4 - 753853

SPACIO

spacio 6/9 BS3 -569073

SUMO

sumo 4x4 TC BS3 -840233

AMBULANCE

sumo ambulance BS3 -588696

The numbers following the models are seating options.
These prices are ex-showroom Ludhiana.

There is an additional 8000 charge as "logistic charges"

Currently free insurance is being offered.

These prices are for the single AC versions.

Interestingly, The same dealer owns the Mahindra dealership across the road.The logistic charges at the Mahindra dealership are Rs 3500 against the Rs 8000 at the TATA motors dealership!
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks