Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 18:24   #316
BANNED

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I really love the Sumo since childhood

I can't imagine why Tata would choose to tune the 3L CR4 to a paltry 80ish bhp. A 1.4L sibling in the Indica/Indigo does 70PS / 140NM (which certainly are respectable figures in the MJD dominated segment). Why would they add another 1.5 liters of displacement to add only ~10 more horses? I know the displacement isn't the only variable towards power output. Still...

If the Gold made anything above 110bhp, one would be parked besides my Vista already!!
I went to buy the Gold but had to retract only because of family refusal. I love the bread box, it seems to be getting better by the day !

The 3.0 L CR4 engine is a CRDi variant of the 407's engine / block / family is waht i presume. The same that was in the Safari a little while ago. I don't think it to be underpowered for personal use. I have seen numerous call cabs in the white EX guise in Delhi. The 85 bhp Duster shares the engine with the Scala (much lighter of course). The m2Di Xylo and the Bolero ZLX seem underpowered at 65-70 odd horses.

I have chatted with Gold cabbies often and none have complained about power. In fact, none has complained about it so far. All say it is good, mileage is good and it pulls well with a full load and A/C. Guess the magic is in the rpm where the torque is available. Considering it to be designed for the 407 (a truck), it makes sense.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 07:59   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Sumo .. it still is an option in one corner of the mind simply for its low price while I'm fixed on the Storme as the target upgrade.

I can't imagine why Tata would choose to tune the 3L CR4 to a paltry 80ish bhp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
I went to buy the Gold but had to retract only because of family refusal. I love the bread box, it seems to be getting better by the day !
Guys - dont get pulled in by the bhp numbers. Diesels are all about torque.

And having used a Sumo for long, I will suggest not to go for it for the only reason that it's not good for higher speeds / highway driving. It's excellent for city, though. At least try the lower variants of Safari / Storme, or equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Just a little something for the sumo thread
Doc, that ad is yuck ! I'd like to throw who all created that ad, over that same cliff. As it is Tata ad's have a lot of "special effects", but this was bad.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 11:39   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Doc, that ad is yuck ! I'd like to throw who all created that ad, over that same cliff. As it is Tata ad's have a lot of "special effects", but this was bad.

I agree the ad is over the top. Its a rip off from 'Bad Boys 2' with Will Smith doing the same thing in a hummer !

They targeted the right demographic. young guys. single. Who don't care much about the interiors. Want to explore the world.

Something like the classic "kuch log sumo chalate hain" would not work today.

I feel honest stories like the Sumo going exploring the Himalayas or desert rally footage would work better. I feel they're not going that way, mainly to protect the safari/grande brands.

But if they can pull off something like the mahindra "we're the young" concept where the whole mahindra brand stands for adventure, it would be a job well done.

But they have never had a "Tata SUV" strategy where there is a halo effect .Mahindra has the "jeep" DNA and they have exploited the concept extremely well across the entire range of products.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 20:36   #319
BANNED

Quote:

Yep, its the raw pulling power that actually turns you on.
That ad was REAL bad. I liked the young lot driving around the country side and going over into the bushes before a road jam ad very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

But if they can pull off something like the mahindra "we're the young" concept where the whole mahindra brand stands for adventure, it would be a job well done.
Well, the ad I mentioned actually reflects that - except that it wasn't that pronounced as M&M made it to be.
Old 11th September 2013, 21:14   #320
BHPian

Quote:

And having used a Sumo for long, I will suggest not to go for it for the only reason that it's not good for higher speeds / highway driving. It's excellent for city, though. At least try the lower variants of Safari / Storme, or equivalent.

I agree with Condor that if Gold is compared with storme/safari as regards to high speed driving it may not be equivalent because of it's short wheel base.But if you consider it's powerful and smooth engine and heavy weight and drive at around 100 km/hr I do not think it is second to other SUVs in its class.
koushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 12:18   #321
Senior - BHPian

I had to TD Sumo to know what that machine is all about, it was a vehicle which i dint like at all but one TD made me change my opinion.

This vehicle is apt for people who want to drive a lot in city, use the vehicle for everything and who are happy at the speed of 100kmph, was impressed to see how well this vehicle handled on a winding road.

Actually this vehicle will suit many people requirement, just that we need to change out mindset i guess
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 19:40   #322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Actually this vehicle will suit many people requirement, just that we need to change out mindset i guess
Precisely. How many times does one clip on the highways at 100 plus speeds ? Our highways aren't that good (north of Delhi) still. In my recent trip to Shimla, kept the ARIA below 110kph, it feels a lot safer and gives great FE as well.
Old 15th September 2013, 20:50   #323
BHPian

What is the real world fuel efficiency that you can expect our of this engine block when it's tuned so low ?
Old 16th September 2013, 06:29   #324
BHPian

On our trip back from Rameshwaram, between Salem and Krishnagiri, a Sumo Gold gave us company at 120-130 kmp. I have never driven a sumo, but been inside one, and it fills like a capsule disconnected from road, irrespective of the road surface.
Old 4th October 2013, 22:40   #325
BHPian

Good review by BBC TOP GEAR for Tata Sumo Gold facelift
http://www.topgear.com/india/tata/re...gold/itemid-51
koushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 23:04   #326
E63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Precisely. How many times does one clip on the highways at 100 plus speeds ? Our highways aren't that good (north of Delhi) still. In my recent trip to Shimla, kept the ARIA below 110kph, it feels a lot safer and gives great FE as well.

Please tell me you're joking.

The Delhi-Chandigarh highway is a dream.

My Fabia does 140 on it..
Old 6th October 2013, 15:48   #327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Please tell me you're joking.

The Delhi-Chandigarh highway is a dream.

My Fabia does 140 on it..
Well, I was referring to the Karnal-Ambala unfinished part. Just doing 140 is no big deal, what matters is the safety aspect in case of an unexpected braking - a dog, a cyclist, a farm tractor, etc. Anything can crop up anywhere on our highways, that's what I also meant.
Old 8th October 2013, 00:21   #328
BHPian

Hello.
I agree to the point that sumo is much better in terms of space, reliability, and almost all factors which influence an individual buyers decision.

Lets see the profile of bolero buyers
1. Typical first time suv buyer, who doesnt have enough money to buy a scorpio. I have interviewed tens of them. Intially reluctant to admit, but ultimately said, yes, its a stop gap arrangement, till the scorpio. No; they would rather die, than be seen in sumo ! before their folks, who may be their peers, neighbours, girlfriend. IMHO, the looks of the bolero seals the deal; rather than anything. The people outside dont know the factors or tears faced by the owner. They just grin and bear it to portray the MACHO image, coming out of a Bolero SUV.

2. Same with the taxi segment. I have seen the taxi stand, in almost all of Himalayan region, from Srinagar, to dharamshala, to pauri, to nainital, to kumaon, to darjeeling, to shillong. The reason for buying by the operator-

a. passenger demand.
b. looks better.
c. looks better even while dirty ! very True!

well cant fault him, the fellow says, sumos get filled, the last. They advised, when asked, sahab- sumo lena, agar personal gaadi kharidna hai to. taxi me dalna hei to bolero hi lena. jada customer milega.

I hope the argument for boilero selling in huge numbers year after year is little bit demystified.

cheers.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:15   #329
BHPian

Hello.
Same with the road from srinagar to gulmarg. No boleros in srinagar. strange.

regards
Old 30th October 2013, 07:52   #330
Senior - BHPian

New Tata Sumo Gold Launched at Rs 5.93 lakh

Tata Motors has launched the new Sumo Gold at a starting price of Rs 5.93 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi).

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-pressrelease29oct13.jpg Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-pressrelease29oct13a.jpg

The new Tata Sumo Gold is available in 5 variants - GX, FX, EX, LX and CX with its price starting from Rs. 5.93 lakhs onwards (ex-showroom, New Delhi).

The new Sumo Gold features:

• Most powerful BS4 3.0L diesel CR4 engine, delivering 85 PS power and 250 Nm torque
• Excellent mileage of 15.3 Km/L
• Powerful Dual AC - first in segment
• Latest music system with USB and Bluetooth connectivity, with hands free mobile phone reception
• Power steering & best-in-class turning radius of 5m for easy in-city driving
• 20% more space than competition
• High performance Clutch - Smoother gearshifts, for 1 lack kms of tension free driving
• Softened suspension for better ride quality
• Best-in-class Ground Clearance of 182 mm
• Doubled Wheel Service interval at 30,000km
• Insurance @ Rs 1 for 3 years, 3 year / 1 lakh KM warranty
• Funding upto 90 % of Ex-Showroom price
• 6 months EMI holiday.
• Four new exciting colours- Blazing Red, Twilight Grey Arctic Silver and Porcelain White

Source: http://www.tatamotors.com/media/disp...ses.php?id=900
sarathlal is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks