Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 21:43   #361
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Why does the Nano have different sizes at front & back. Can we have same size at the front, as is at the rear ?
As per the official Nano review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[i]
The Nano has a rear engine, rear wheel drive layout. Such an arrangement usually results in easy oversteer, a condition that is difficult to handle for the average driver. Thus, Tata has intentionally kept the front tyres (135/70 R12) thinner than the rear tyres (155/65 R12). This ensures that the car is more likely to understeer than oversteer, with the front tyres giving up on grip first..
john doe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 01:34   #362
BHPian

Hi everyone! Thanks a ton for all the good wishes. I am supposed to get delivery today morning at 11 but I can't sleep one bit!!

I may have to delay the delivery till evening as my wife will be away in the morning. might just finish the formalities and ensure pdi is done as per team bhp standards and will just pick it up later in the day.

As usual guys at Concorde motors in Baner are not impressed with my demand for free AMC as I screamed for the bump in price against what was.promised earlier in the commitment form. After initially refusing they proposed a 50-50 cost sharing model, I refused and asked for 30-70 ; they said 40-60 ; I said not one percent beyond 30 for me. They haven't confirmed yet but I have a feeling they should agree.

Saw a 7 yr old excitedly check out a sumo gold at the showroom over all the other sedans around and pretend to be driving it and it felt really good. Reminded me of the times I was a kid and wanted to own a vehicle like it while honking inside stationary cars, turning their wheels and making revving sounds with my mouth!

Today while riding my electra 350 from Hinjewadi I caught on to a Sumo Gold Ex ferrying a few passengers. I just kept riding next to it to hear it rev everytime it took off after a speed bump to enjoy that gorgeous sweet sounding direct injection sound from the beastly engine. Surprisingly over the last couple of days I have seen a couple of private white numbered gold. Unsurprisingly there are very few non Gx models private vehicles vehicles.

There was really no chance I'd be half as excited if I had gone ahead and bought a hatch at the same price!

Delivery pics soon! Inshallah!
4Runner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 09:57   #363
BHPian

Update is that Concorde baner pune has once again failed to fulfill it's commitment

Wrong address on insurance documents and the vehicle has a few stains such as palm prints on the roof.

They have promised delivery today but that's also touch and go.
4Runner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 12:30   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
Update is that Concorde baner pune has once again failed to fulfill it's commitment

Wrong address on insurance documents and the vehicle has a few stains such as palm prints on the roof.

They have promised delivery today but that's also touch and go.
May be that is why many say that Tata should separate the passenger segment with the fleet ones. It is not as if they are selling the Sumo Gold in thousands of them everyday, and even one case they can't handle with dedication
Old 5th May 2015, 22:09   #365
BHPian

Guys brilliant day today. After a day of blazing sunshine the weather turned unbelievably gorgeous and windy with overcast skies.

I got the delivery for my Sumo today. Surprisingly well behaved staff and a great delivery experience. Paid 40% for gold AMC at 5k and change that gave me 30k kms or 2 years of warranty.

Feels brilliant to drive but it also feels unroused unlike the 15k driven demo car. The clutch will take a little getting used to but I could have never been more proud. A more detailed ownership experience will follow once I stop jumping and screaming excitement like a little girl
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150505_175834.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150505_192708.jpg  

4Runner is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 22:50   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats ! Wishing you a long happy ownership !
The Gold had one thing that I had wanted on my Sumo - lots more power & torque. Not being able to use the a/c (due to load on the engine with a/c) was one of the reasons I had to give up my Victa.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 23:15   #367
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Vasant.

Its a lovely truck and I wish you a great ownership. Please do create a detailed ownership thread. I almost bought the Sumo Gold but later dropped out because of lack of ABS and Airbags.

It does feel very nice on the road. Congrats again.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 09:12   #368
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for the TRUCK and it's really a TRUCK. I always loved the Sumo. Change the tyres and swap the rims to some good alloys it would be a different game. Wish it had ABS and airbags.
Looking forward for the ownership report.
PS-When I said to my wife we can consider the Sumo as our next car,she gave me that stare which nearly incinerated me .
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 19:52   #369
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase!

My uncle's Sumo Gold DI 3.0L was the first utility vehicle that i ever got to drive, and think "big" from then on!

Apart from the CR4 engine, they got many discreet changes in the Sumo, better rubber beadings (to prevent water entering into the doors) being another one that a DTE at TASS had showed me. Try catching a technician and he'll probably explain all such improvements to you, making you more satisfied with your decision.

The gold AMC will give you peace of mind from any maintenance issues. Drive it within its limits and it will surely reward you with a happy ownership experience, right Condor?
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 17:27   #370
BHPian

Hello thanks everyone!

ABS was a massive minus point in the truck when I bought it as I am a proponent of ABS myself. I love the control it brings to any vehicle.

One very important I read being mentioned was riding ones vehicles within its limits which is important for any car or bike. I am not a huge fan of 130+ kmph driving as pur roads are just too unpredictable and pushing modern cars beyond a limit is not a reflection of the drivers skill rather a reflection of how evolved motor vehicles in general have become.

Within a limit of 90-110 kmph the Sumo is just superb on the road when braking . The brakes are confidence inspiring but it is certainly not easy to expect it to respond instantaneously for emergences. This is why one has to be very careful and cognizant of the unpredictability of our roads, humans as well as animals on them and be prepared to enjoy the laid back ride quality and supreme strength the Sumo possesses rather than treating it like a sedan.

The whoosh sound is still pretty apparent around the 90kmph mark but I think that's entirely owing to the disastourous quality of the ORVMs. The rattles on the gear on lower gears is slightly annoying when on higher rpms as you try to accelerate but a couple of tune ups ought to set it right.

The clutch is certainly truck worthy and is not everyone's cup of tea. I am not saying I am Rambo or anything but even to my taste, the clutch is monstrous and the RPM goes up a tinge every time I change a gear for just that tiny bit as my left foot plunges into the clutch.

My recommendation to potential sumo buyers , whatever few of them exist out there , is to try and rent a relatively new gold for a couple of days and see how it suits you over bad roads, highways and heavy traffic. The clutch may wear out the strongest of heels in heavy traffic.

I have started taking a 25 km scenic country side road to work everyday instead of the traditional 14km rat race through traffic and commercial buildings to work. The road less travelled and all feel

This road is particularly bad but the sumo handles it so beautifully that I enjoy bad roads for the view it offers around it.

Detailed review as soon as I get some more time behind the wheel and as soon as I get some time off sad work that helps pay the emis
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150508_164009.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150508_164018.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150508_163958.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150508_113913.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150508_113911.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150508_113231.jpg  

4Runner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 17:50   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

hi Vasant,

Gold, Finally ! Wishing you a long happy ownership !

I completely agree with you on the decals part .. Wish they had given an option of getting one without this set of Decals. The best decals on the Sumo -IMO - was on the Victa GX

1) Clutch - hopefully you will get the trick of using it without the rpm going up
2) Speeds - Best upto 110, Not more. Reason: the Short wheel base

One additional point:
Please prepare yourself for the a/c vents to go bad. The design does not seem to have changed over the years. Best is if you can get something fabricated. One option is:

1) metal frame that will fit these vent outlets in the dash.
2) get hold of better vents from some other vehicle - ones that will fit into this metal frame that you may be able to fabricate.

Last edited by condor : 8th May 2015 at 17:51.
Old 9th May 2015, 01:46   #372
BHPian

I Had been to concorde today for a TD of the bolt. There was a TD sumo gold parked outside. I asked the sales person to turn on the engine just to hear it growl. Old school modern diesel! Just love the truck. Hope to someday have it parked in my garage!
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 03:52   #373
BHPian

Quote:
The car I was looking to buy needed to serve just 2 people : My wife and I , both generously large people at 6'2 and 5'8 and always looking for a way to recline even non reclining plane exit seats on all of our journeys.
Reason enough to buy the Sumo.

Quote:
.... "WE ARE NOT GOING TO PAY 9 LAKHS ON THIS PIECE OF METAL GARBAGE!"

"I might as well just buy my polo for the same amount"*.
Has she ever driven in a crowded city road? German engineering is no match for the angle irons fitted to the side of autos, or the bull bars in front of Innova taxis and worse, Scorpio hooligans. The "metal garbage" on the other hand... Just unleash her on the city streets in the driver's seat of the truck and see the change.
Old 9th May 2015, 06:26   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
vasant.guru@gma .... "WE ARE NOT GOING TO PAY 9 LAKHS ON THIS PIECE OF METAL GARBAGE!"
Quote:
fighterace : ... Just unleash her on the city streets in the driver's seat of the truck and see the change.
Ha ha ! Just have your wife drive it on city roads and see the kind of respect she'll get !
Old 9th May 2015, 08:31   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
There was a TD sumo gold parked outside. I asked the sales person to turn on the engine just to hear it growl.
Ya that one and the piece I got are both Nov 14 models and showroom pieces. For some reason they're not keeping that sumo inside the showroom. Earlier it used to occupy prime real estate inside the room. Perhaps they're thinking of phasing it out now or someone's bought it

Bolt is a great car and extreme VFM

Most Viewed