Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:13   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Whoa man! Even Sir DB is wanting to modify and give it a unique look as if it is his own baby.
Dear Madhu33 - I absolutely loved your quote above, "as if it is his own baby", by the way, this is actually true! You actually thought that what I had written was a wish-list? Oh, come on now! Everything that we do need not necessarily come into production for many reasons, but many very good things can be done on one vehicle by the customer after purchasing.

Dear Vasant Guru - as you have removed the claddings and as your vehicle is white, let's meet, I will show you what to do! If you like it, you can do it. If you do it, yours will be the second vehicle ever in which it is done! It looks best on a white vehicle, I was quietly waiting for you to remove the claddings! With Safari wheel rims, you must use Bridgestone 235/70R16 tubeless tires only. Enjoy your vehicle! .

Dear Anirban - Safari and Sumo wheel rim offset is same at +45mm. Aria Pride 4*4 Adapterra has wonderful wheel rims and lovely 17" tires with excellent road manners and characteristics, but the offset is +50mm and they are available only as alloy wheels, not as steel wheels!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2015 at 19:49. Reason: Quoted post edited
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:32   #392
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bawa Ji, what is under the bonnet of this "SUMO"?

Since it has to carry extra "muscles", "It" must be BIG!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-tatalightarmouredvehiclefrontstatic_640x480.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 23rd June 2015 at 21:38.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 09:59   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
The external graphic stickers were always painful to a discerning eye and I had all of them completely removed over the weekend and now the beast looks like a nice cop car in all white and beautifully tinted glasses with the metallic SUMO insignia at the back.
Howdy. So, how did you get rid of those hideous stickers? DIY? corner-walla-sticker/number plate/graphics guy? showroom? because it looks like a clean job.

When I spoke to the local ASS guys, they gave me a look of pure sacrilage, and went a low growl of "no, they come from the factory, we can't remove them!"

I got worried for a minute about whether they'll run the vehicle over me like a "Nimbu".
Old 26th June 2015, 14:59   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Dear Bawa Ji, what is under the bonnet of this "SUMO"?

Since it has to carry extra "muscles", "It" must be BIG!
This is probably based on the Safari chassis, only carries the Victa Headlamps.
Old 27th June 2015, 12:41   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
Howdy. So, how did you get rid of those hideous stickers? DIY? corner-walla-sticker/number plate/graphics guy? showroom? because it looks like a clean job.

When I spoke to the local ASS guys, they gave me a look of pure sacrilage, and went a low growl of "no, they come from the factory, we can't remove them!"

I got worried for a minute about whether they'll run the vehicle over me like a "Nimbu".

Well I had a graphics contact back in Gujarat who used a lot of petrol to scrap off the stickers gum. It was a tiring job and took three men a couple of good hours to keep scrubbing until the gum didn't show.

There are a few scratches at the back where the stickers were because they probably scrubbed too hard but it isn't noticeable from even 6 feet away.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th June 2015 at 14:14. Reason: cuz >> because. Please avoid SMS lingo while posting.
4Runner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 06:49   #396
BHPian

Quote:

With Safari wheel rims, you must use Bridgestone 235/70R16 tubeless tires only. Enjoy your vehicle! .
Db sir thanks for your words.. Please let me know if we can meet today being a Sunday. My wife and I are very much looking forward to meet you!

Yesterday I headed out to Laxmi Road at Nanapeth to have a look at a few alloys yesterday. Surprisingly both online and at stores people.don't seem to recommend 16 inchers for the sumo and say that it will affect drivability adversely.

I think I might stick with 15" stocks at least for the next year or so and see how it goes but the stock rims are definitely on the out. For the alloys in the image attached the quote was 22k for 4 wheels. The alloys are from Stallion which I think is pretty reputable.

The only thing I am not sure of is the price. I think it should be a good deal under 20k or if I got all 5 wheels for 22k. The wheels I am looking for are all all blacks or Matt black since it will add great contrast and definition to the vehicle stance.

What does everyone think about the price range for these?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img20150627wa0003.jpg  

4Runner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 00:03   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly both online and at stores people.don't seem to recommend 16 inchers for the sumo and say that it will affect drivability adversely.

I think I might stick with 15" stocks at least for the next year or so and see how it goes but the stock rims are definitely on the out.
AFAIK 16" will not be problematic as Sumo had 16" rims as standard fitment.

as long as you stick overall DIAMETER of wheel+tyre combo, you are good to go.

if you are on limited budget you can buy 16" still rims cheaply from T.A.S.S.

i am using 16" Sumo rims for my 4x4.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-armada-6.html

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 11:00   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bawa Ji, what is under the bonnet of this "SUMO"? Since it has to carry extra "muscles", it must be BIG!
Dear Parm - hello after a long time. you have hopes that your question will be answered? .

Dear Vasant Guru - please STOP seeing silly alloy wheels. Please get original Safari steel wheel rims which are removed by Safari customers for fitting alloys, you should get them for a pittance! If you are sticking to 15", production setup is good enough.

I am travelling extensively, will PM you when to meet.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th June 2015, 16:26   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
jeepster : AFAIK 16" will not be problematic as Sumo had 16" rims as standard fitment.
Sumo Victa had 15" rims. 215/75 R15. 5.5J

The commercial spec Sumo's ran on narrower rims. Hence that would be of absolutely no help.
Old 29th June 2015, 20:26   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vasant Guru - please STOP seeing silly alloy wheels. Please get original Safari steel wheel rims which are removed by Safari customers for fitting alloys, you should get them for a pittance! If you are sticking to 15", production setup is good enough.
DB sir, I called up TASS today to inquire for the safari steel rims. I dot know where to get discarded new rims by Safari owners. Upgrading to these new rims will also mean i will buy the Bridgestone 16 inchers.

As long as this doesnt adversely impact performances and aids in road grip , i am more than willing to go for these instead of the stallion alloys!

Just need to find a good place to get these done. What should be a good cost for 5 new safari rims and 5 new bridgestone 16 inch tyres together? This will hep me in negotiations.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th June 2015 at 21:10. Reason: Included quotes. Please click on the [QUOTE] button to quote a member's response instead of copying and pasting them.
Old 29th June 2015, 20:41   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Parm - hello after a long time. you have hopes that your question will be answered? .

I am travelling extensively, will PM you when to meet.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Beloved Bawa Ji,

"Umeed par duniya kaayam hai", "Hope" word holds a very important place in your dictionary and I have lots of belief in the word.

Travelling in a test vehicle or otherwise?
Old 30th June 2015, 20:25   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Beloved Bawa Ji, "Umeed par duniya kaayam hai", "hope" word holds a very important place in your dictionary and I have lots of belief in the word. Travelling in a test vehicle or otherwise?
Dear Parm - hahaha! .

I completely agree to your statement that "umeed par duniya kaayam hai"! Things happen yaar, you got to push, and hope!

Well, I guess I am blessed that I actually get to work on vehicles day-in and day-out, learning new things every single day! As "vehicles" are "travelling" aids" and as "vehicle testing" actually means "testing the vehicles on their ability to travel", I think you can make a very good guess, what I use for travelling when I am testing! However, to go from one place to another, you got to go up to somewhere between 33000 to 39000 ft and then come down, unless its the ones with huge fans where its 15000 ft!

"I'm lovin' it!" .

Dear Vasant Guru - I'll try and get the information that you want shortly. Please give me some time! (extensive travel).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 1st July 2015, 09:16   #403
BHPian

I had a chance to explore the Sumo Gold CX while on a backpacking trip to Darjeeling recently. The vehicle had 10 passengers, quite a bit of luggage on the roof and was being driven by a very amateur driver.
I was very surprised with the engine performance! The car accelerates effortlessly and the low revving engine is such a delight. The suspension is very mature and I have never experienced this on any UV earlier. Bolero cabs, in comparison, are bouncy.
The inexperienced driver was revving the engine to the limit while overtaking others on steep slopes, but he said the FE never droped below 12kmpl. The Sumo God is an extremely under rated car and can be a very good contender for someone who loves practicality and values space, comfort and VFM more than the image conveyed by his vehicle.
Old 1st July 2015, 09:53   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Just need to find a good place to get these done. What should be a good cost for 5 new safari rims and 5 new bridgestone 16 inch tyres together? This will hep me in negotiations.
Dear Vasant, about 7 months back my Safari's one rim got bent, so after inquiring found out that you can easily source it from TASS which was costing about 1200 Rs. per piece (please note that source not from TASS,price may vary).

On further research i found that you can get it easily from Kudalwadi/Chikhli area behind TML plant for a 1000 Rs. appx a piece as well. But since my local tyrewala repaired the rim (quite well actually) and got it balanced so i didnt had to purchase one.

16" Bridgestone duelers will cost you around 7500-8000 Rs per tyre appx.
rosaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 11:04   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Dear Vasant, about 7 months back my Safari's one rim got bent, so after inquiring found out that you can easily source it from TASS which was costing about 1200 Rs. per piece (please note that source not from TASS,price may vary).

On further research i found that you can get it easily from Kudalwadi/Chikhli area behind TML plant for a 1000 Rs. appx a piece as well. But since my local tyrewala repaired the rim (quite well actually) and got it balanced so i didnt had to purchase one.

16" Bridgestone duelers will cost you around 7500-8000 Rs per tyre appx.
That's around 40-45k rims plus tyres :( very expensive

Most Viewed