Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2015, 22:47   #406
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Sad news today.. The engine malfunction and service light both turned amber and the truck now feels like is running at less than half the power.

Something is seriously wrong and I will have to take it to TASS at the earliest.. Wonder what's wrong..feel like flying a Boeing on just one engine. Don't quite know what to attribute the loss of power to. Might be a possible cylinder malfunction too. Got to find out. Nervous.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150701_202432.jpg  

Old 1st July 2015, 22:58   #407
Team-BHP Support

It could also be a ECU restriction called as Limp Mode.
Some sensor malfunctions can trigger this to prevent damage.

So sleep well tonight and take her to the service center tomorrow.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 02:02   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Parm - hahaha! .

I completely agree to your statement that "umeed par duniya kaayam hai"! Things happen yaar, you got to push, and hope!

Well, I guess I am blessed that I actually get to work on vehicles day-in and day-out, learning new things every single day! As "vehicles" are "travelling" aids" and as "vehicle testing" actually means "testing the vehicles on their ability to travel", I think you can make a very good guess, what I use for travelling when I am testing! However, to go from one place to another, you got to go up to somewhere between 33000 to 39000 ft and then come down, unless its the ones with huge fans where its 15000 ft!

"I'm lovin' it!" .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Beloved Bawa Ji,

Do let us know more about your "travelling aids" with 4 wheels.

The Bolero zooming past on Pune highway or the 0521 blasting past the vehicles are testimonials of your past "travelling aids"!

A few teaser photos will cause no harm to the "travelling aids" performance on or OFF the road at high altitudes of on the plains.

And this time the "travelling aids" are NOT disguised, as far as my information confirms.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:50   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Dear Beloved Bawa Ji,
And this time the "travelling aids" are NOT disguised, as far as my information confirms.
IIMR,, I guess Dr. DB is talking about aeroplanes and helicopters

Dunno for sure, but I guess it is.

Anyway waiting for the offroader based on the X2 platform, and is a spiritual successor of the Sierra.
Old 2nd July 2015, 18:09   #410
BHPian

What's up everyone.. Gave the truck to TASS for service today

Some ECU problem apparently but I think that's now a standard answer they give everyone.

The fuel injector isn't getting electrical impulse from the accelerator and it's going to take some time to get this done maybe even 3 days.

Slightly worried considering it's a new vehicle not even 2 months old or if such problems are frequent in TATA vehicles and not something to be too bothered about. Feel horrible. I miss it badly
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:36   #411
Senior - BHPian

Varun sad to hear about this.

Its not normal with TATA, just make sure that they get the faulty parts replaced and make sure they do the troubleshooting properly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
What's up everyone.. Gave the truck to TASS for service today

Some ECU problem apparently but I think that's now a standard answer they give everyone.

The fuel injector isn't getting electrical impulse from the accelerator and it's going to take some time to get this done maybe even 3 days.

Slightly worried considering it's a new vehicle not even 2 months old or if such problems are frequent in TATA vehicles and not something to be too bothered about. Feel horrible. I miss it badly
Old 6th July 2015, 10:11   #412
BHPian

Hello! Got the truck repaired over the weekend and picked it up on Saturday after 2 and a half days at the workshop.

Fortunately no big repairs, problems with the earthing at a point which made the ECU non responsive to acceleration. Apparently one of the cylinders was misfiring as predicted due to fuel not being pumped at the right time owing to the ECU sensor. Am not quite sure what the problem was but I was given a trial run by the manager of servicing at TASS, Mr. Srikanth.

He was very knowledgeable and thoroughly convinced me of the diagnostics procedures adopted by TASS and certainly sounded more professional than the sales guys at least.

I was ecstatic to have the truck back performing at its best and ended up taking it to Mahableshwar impulsively. The weather was delicious and I just couldn't waste a weekend not pounding on the roads.

It was a magnificent trip and my wife and I both enjoyed it throughly. The mileage seems to be improving quite well and I ended up doing over 100 kms roaming only between Mahabaleshwar and Panchgini at the middle of the night with the streets absolutely deserted and covered with dense fog. It was a sight for the gods. Thoroughly recommended and possibly on weekdays in the monsoons or even Thursday night.

The SUMO's performance was exemplary and tackled the ghats like it was child's play. We also had an advantage of almost zero traffic throughout owing to it being midnight after Saturday. We left Pune at 1130 PM and reached well before 2 AM with a stop for dinner in between. It was impulse trip that got 4 other friends on board but all of them developed cold feet barely 10 kms from home and dropped off one after the other. Wife and I decided to travel regardless.

A few pictures put up below, seems like the wife is finally getting used to the idea of the Sumo and ended up taking quite a few images of breathtaking scenery herself. Some of the pictures aren't of the car but are still an integral part of the trip's narrative. We're off to Himachal next weekend but unfortunately it will be on a flight and not the Sumo which I so wish was the other way round.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1398.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1407.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1439.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1456.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1467.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1488.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1514.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1524.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-dsc_1536.jpg  

4Runner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 11:18   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vasantguru - is the earthing issue sorted out for good? Please confirm, also I will be extremely grateful if you can post a photograph of the exact earth point corrected, as I want to cross-check so that such a silly thing never happens again, EVER!

Your tires are CEAT. As you have run them quite a bit, you will not get good exchange price. Now let them run for 20000 kms, then we will see. When do we meet? I am in Pune this week (hopefully for now)! .

Dear Nissan1180 - thanks for your comment, feels nice! - "the suspension is very mature and I have never experienced this on any UV earlier. Bolero cabs, in comparison, are bouncy. The Sumo God is an extremely under rated car and can be a very good contender for someone who loves practicality and values space, comfort and VFM more than the image conveyed by his vehicle".

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 6th July 2015 at 11:25.
Old 6th July 2015, 11:30   #414
Senior - BHPian

Vasantguru.. Truly good pics, Mahabaleshwar is divine in the rains. Your Sumo, completely de badged is stunning to look at. I believe Sumo should be sold like this, looks more macho. One thing I noticed is your rear wiper is reverse of my Storme's, I mean your wiper is positioned to wipe right to left, mine is positioned to wipe left to right, like the front one. Any reasons?
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 11:37   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Vasantguru, your Sumo, completely de badged is stunning to look at. I believe Sumo should be sold like this, looks more macho.
Dear Apachelongbow - hahaha, just you wait till you see what I intend to do with it! Final decision of course will not be mine, as far as Vasant Guru's vehicle is concerned, in his case I will only recommend!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 11:51   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Vasantguru - is the earthing issue sorted out for good? Please confirm, also I will be extremely grateful if you can post a photograph of the exact earth point corrected, as I want to cross-check so that such a silly thing never happens again, EVER!
I will surely post a picture ASAP. Its right next to the battery on the inside part of around where the truck's left side indicator would be.

Quote:
Your tires are CEAT. As you have run them quite a bit, you will not get good exchange price. Now let them run for 20000 kms, then we will see. When do we meet? I am in Pune this week (hopefully for now)! .
I am good to meet anytime this week or weekend sir. Looking forward.

email id: vasant.guru@gmail.com My name is Vasant Iyer. Guess BHP took in my email id as my profile handle and I can't change it much now!

I have posted one of the pics of me with the truck on IG. Feel free to check it out

https://instagram.com/p/4yFlyUOL8j/?...ungrayscaleful

Life slips out your grasp
Quicker than most can call fast
Ships sail on calls from captains not their mast
Head out now before you breathe your last
Old 8th July 2015, 18:38   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Apachelongbow - hahaha, just you wait till you see what I intend to do with it! Final decision of course will not be mine, as far as Vasant Guru's vehicle is concerned, in his case I will only recommend!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, why don't you give us a hint as to what you intend to do with the Sumo, or the new 4x4 you are cooking up in Tata? Its been a while now, we haven't heard anything interesting on this front...
Old 8th July 2015, 19:25   #418
BHPian

Nice pics, Vasant! Only curious, is the steering mechanism of your Sumo the rack & pinion types, or the worm & worm wheel gearbox types?
Old 9th July 2015, 10:32   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Apachelongbow - hahaha, just you wait till you see what I intend to do with it! Final decision of course will not be mine
Ahh when will this saga of teaser will end and we will get to see something concrete! The rumors around the SUMO has been on & off for quite some time. To hell with the image of taxi / cab and all, if a switch (a lever in the console will be absolutely a dream) is added on the dashboard to optionally rotate all four wheels, a game-changer vehicle will be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Sir, why don't you give us a hint as to what you intend to do with the Sumo, or the new 4x4 you are cooking up in Tata? Its been a while now, we haven't heard anything interesting on this front...
I am sure what will follow next is some short essay on 'hope' , 'dream', 'uncertainty' etc.!

Last edited by Kandisa : 9th July 2015 at 10:36.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:59   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Ahh when will this saga of teaser will end and we will get to see something concrete! The rumors around the SUMO has been on & off for quite some time. To hell with the image of taxi / cab and all, if a switch (a lever will be absolutely a dream) is added on the dashboard to optionally rotate all four wheels, a game-changer vehicle will be here please. I am sure what will follow next is some short essay on 'hope', 'dream', 'uncertainty' etc.!
Dear Kandisa and all - hahaha, by the way, what all I have mentioned upto now was never essays / lectures! Here is the justification.

You want the vehicle. I want the vehicle. That's a given. Both of us and all others on the forum will also agree without a shadow of doubt that this thingy as a product will do good for itself in the marketplace out there. That's also a given. But, we cannot forget that everything will revolve around cost! This is the pitfall that must be strategically overcome, if at all anything has to happen, because India market runs on cost and cost alone. This is not the first time I am facing this dilemma, it is common sense. Many take the easy way out by not doing it at all, but then there is no challenge! .

So, I am trying to do what I can, to try and crystallize something to happen!

This was also not an essay. Kya yaar! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed