Team-BHP - Next gen Hyundai i-10 rumored to get new engine
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Next gen Hyundai i-10 rumored to get new engine (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/109415-next-gen-hyundai-i-10-rumored-get-new-engine.html)

SOURCE: http://autotechreview.com/

The next generation Hyundai I10 is all set to upgrade its 1.0L engine.
It will be one example of the downsizing trend to be seen in indian auto industry. To be precise it is not exactly downsizing. It is a reduction from 4 cylinder to 3 cylinder. It is jointly developed with Kia motors

No. Of cylinder: 3
Displacement: 998
4 Valves DohC.
Dual VVT (Continuously variable) (Phase changing VVT)
Max torque: 95 Nm
It has got 2 intake manifolds 1) Fixed length (Max power: 51KW)
2) Variable length (Max power: 60KW)

Name:  Hyundai I10.bmp
Views: 4985
Size:  602.4 KB

Improvement in FE: 3-5%
Reduction in weight: 10%
Reduction in cost: 10%

Any idea what would be the target, this year or 2012? Once this is done, the engine would come in the league of K10 series by MSIL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxyzen (Post 2542251)
The next generation Hyundai I10 is all set to upgrade its 1.0L engine.
It will be one example of the downsizing trend to be seen in indian auto industry. To be precise it is not exactly downsizing. It is a reduction from 4 cylinder to 3 cylinder. It is jointly developed with Kia motors

With one Cylinder down a FE increase of just 5% is a bit strange considering a weight reduction of 10% which close to 90 Kilos. I would think the FE increase should be close to 10% or slightly greater than that. Is this validated from Hyundai?

Quote:

Originally Posted by man_and_machine (Post 2542336)
With one Cylinder down a FE increase of just 5% is a bit strange considering a weight reduction of 10% which close to 90 Kilos. I would think the FE increase should be close to 10% or slightly greater than that. Is this validated from Hyundai?

The 1.2 engine weighs only around 84 kilos. So does the 90 kilo weight reduction mean the car has lost it weight somewhere else?

Might be an engine for EON and the second engine option for i10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 2542433)
The 1.2 engine weighs only around 84 kilos. So does the 90 kilo weight reduction mean the car has lost it weight somewhere else?

Oh! I miss read you message. The 10% was on the engine weight! I someone interpreted it on the over all weight of the car 10% of 900 = 90. My bad, I get it now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxyzen (Post 2542251)

Would like to hear Mr.Shah Rukh's Professor's take on the reduction in weight and increased FE.

Professor pinches Shah Rukh and says : "See what I taught you earlier":uncontrol:uncontrol

@ MODS
This is taken from a magazine from Introductory issue of auto tech review. I don't have any link. The torque graph was clicked manually with my cell phone camera. Sorry.
You can contact them for the article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 (Post 2542266)
Any idea what would be the target, this year or 2012? Once this is done, the engine would come in the league of K10 series by MSIL.

No idea about launch date. But looks like this engine is much more technically advanced than MSIL's K10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by man_and_machine (Post 2542336)

10% weight reduction is for the engine only.

If this is going to happen the only car left to use the 1.1L engine will be the Santro. Is this a precursor to discontinuing 1.1L older engine and with it the Santro?

The i10 is already selling Really well. Won't the cost reduction will being it into Eon territory?

Does this mean that they do not have any plans to introduce a diesel engine for the i10, and hence are trying to compensate with a higher FE petrol?

This rumor along with rumor of Eon getting Santro's engine doesn't make sense to me. This will move Eon, Santro and i10 all in a single segment! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeluM (Post 2543779)
The i10 is already selling Really well. Won't the cost reduction will being it into Eon territory?

Yes it is selling well. But I feel this upgrade is not coming any time soon.
And I think they will not pass the benefit of cost to the customers. Unless situation demands so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeluM (Post 2543779)
Does this mean that they do not have any plans to introduce a diesel engine for the i10, and hence are trying to compensate with a higher FE petrol?

It is not possible to compensate a diesel engine by improving FE in a petrol one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxyzen
It is not possible to compensate a diesel engine by improving FE in a petrol one.

That's a very broad statement. I disagree because:

1. All diesels in India today cost at least 60-100k more than their petrol versions, version for version
2. If there were a petrol available with similar features, possibly the same or lower price, but significantly improved FE, it will counter some of the effects of the price of petrol

Without the higher input cost and with better FE, this petrol would make a lot of sense to a larger number of people who do not expect to be running the car much. Higher FE is always a draw in India, and a lower sticker price will at least allow more people to consider the vehicle, if not buy. Hence it is possible IMHO to compensate for not having a diesel - maybe not completely, but certainly to an extent.

Here are the engine specs of the 998 cc 3 cyl engine it comes with a blue motion edition in the UK. Is this car being imported from Chennai? If so the tech is already here.