Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 18:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti responds to the Hyundai Eon : The Alto *Xplore*

First post says limited edition, but the picture is of normal Alto K10.

I think Maruti needs to bring some true NEW product in this segment to survive in the long run.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:20   #47
BHPian

You have put nice thoughts @Man_and_machine

The only thing that is against Eon is Hyundai costly After Sales Service. Also I don't think it the spare parts will be cheaper. That's why I think most of the people going for Eon will be from Santro, i10, WagonR type customers from City rather than from the town.

I hope Maruti will bring down price of alto and A-star to keep the momentum in their favour.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:23   #48
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that Hyundai has to connect with the masses, but Hyundai as a brand is well established in India. I'm very sure the move to counter Alto/A-Star couldn't have been done by any other manufacturer, except Tata. But then Tata won't have come up with such quality parts. IMO its a great achievement by Hyundai and I'm very sure the 1.1 litre petrol motor (which may be added to the Eon at a later stage at a higher price) and the upcoming diesel engines from Hyundai would broden its appeal and will give its competitors sleepless nights.

Launching the Cervo could be a good move by MSIL but I doubt if they can pack the car with so many features and give a quality product.

The general perception is that if its a Maruti, it will sell. But we should also consider that the market has evolved a lot in the past few years. The customer's taste and expectations have increased and even though the Eon won't manage a 25K or 30K monthly sales like the Alto, atleast a 15-18K is quite a possibility. This will impact the Alto and Spark sales too.

Last edited by //M : 13th October 2011 at 18:25.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

This is just to steal some limelight at the day of eon launch - other than that this car serves no purpose.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Whaveter Maruti try, it cant match the quality, it is like economy car compared to its competition. if you take any model. Anyway good attempt by Maruti.

Ravi.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:17   #51
BHPian

No rear wipe and wash even in this limited variant. Instead of 'Leather seats' in Alto, they could have provided the highly useful rear wipe and wash (like Ritz Genus diesel did).
Old 13th October 2011, 20:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

What Maruti has done is to move some accessories from its catalog to a stock car option.
..:: ALTO ACCESSORIES | CUSTOMIZE YOUR CAR WITH MARUTI GENUINE ACCESSORIES
It is a zero effort zero cost option on their part.

The Hyundai Eon's performance vis a vis the Alto will depend on
. Price
. FE
. Performance
in that order. If it can score, well and good, else it is the i10 story (competing against Wagon R, Zen, Ritz and A Star who have combined sales of approximately twice that of i10) all over again. I am not considering the figures for Swift which in two versions is twice that of i20.
Old 13th October 2011, 20:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This is just to steal some limelight at the day of eon launch - other than that this car serves no purpose.
Yes . They are probably reminding customers (of Alto's presence) many of whom would have got carried away by the launch of good car.
I guess their real response like price cuts should be following soon.
Old 13th October 2011, 20:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
No rear wipe and wash even in this limited variant. Instead of 'Leather seats' in Alto, they could have provided the highly useful rear wipe and wash (like Ritz Genus diesel did).
If they had the following options
. ABS
. Air Bags
. Rear Wiper, Demister, Washer
I would have ordered them long ago. They are giving only what they have been offering in their accessories catalog!
Old 13th October 2011, 20:37   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

The Alto is already the best selling entry level car as of now.The problem is that the MSIL management and workers are messing up matters and the unrest at Manesar has lately reached Gurgaon where the production has been affected.Things should be sorted out in the company's interest and the festival market sales needs to be tapped on top priority.
The Alto is a winner and the new version will surely take away some slice of the market from competition, but only if the production is normalised and deliveries made on schedule.
Our market is yet to mature and the jazzed up Alto is enough to lure many, many new car buyers.Even after a decade ( more than a decade old design), the Alto is still the best selling car now.
Or else, if MSIL does not get over its labour problems, the competition will capture all the market demand leaving MSIL watching in bewilderment.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:18   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A star is already a dud in our market. Bringing it in to compete with the Eon might not work since its bound to carry its market failure tag along with it.

But a part of me still says that Eon pricing may not be that spectacular as being predicted. And to shake the Alto from its no. 1 Slot the pricing has to be bang in its territory model to model. A conscious buyer in that segment will always consider Maruti's renowned and specially cheap after sales servicing cost.
Remember when Alto was first launched with 1.1 L engine it was a big dud, and then 800cc version with drastically reduced prices was launched, today nobody remembers that story and Alto is a big hit.

You are certainly correct about the Eon pricing and customer reaction on this car, wait and watch?
Old 13th October 2011, 21:25   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Remember when Alto was first launched with 1.1 L engine it was a big dud, and then 800cc version with drastically reduced prices was launched, today nobody remembers that story and Alto is a big hit.

You are certainly correct about the Eon pricing and customer reaction on this car, wait and watch?
Yea thats true but it can work the otherway around too right. Case in point can be the Optra. Even with the massive price cut and competing with cars from a segment below, it still fails to find buyers.

The Eon pricing is out. And I am a tad bit disappointed. I feel each variant is priced around 20-30k more. It would be a tough task to keep the fight with the Alto/Maruti.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Case in point can be the Optra. Even with the massive price cut and competing with cars from a segment below, it still fails to find buyers.
No, not correct. Optra is at the fad end of its life, the price cuts happened at the end, whereas the eon is in the launch phase. Price drop matters depending on the brand, ask Honda with the City, a sought after model will sell more when it becomes affordable. The Optra was never in that terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Alto is already the best selling entry level car as of now.The problem is that the MSIL management and workers are messing up matters and the unrest at Manesar has lately reached Gurgaon where the production has been affected.Things should be sorted out in the company's interest and the festival market sales needs to be tapped on top priority.
The Alto is a winner and the new version will surely take away some slice of the market from competition, but only if the production is normalised and deliveries made on schedule.
Our market is yet to mature and the jazzed up Alto is enough to lure many, many new car buyers.Even after a decade ( more than a decade old design), the Alto is still the best selling car now.
Or else, if MSIL does not get over its labour problems, the competition will capture all the market demand leaving MSIL watching in bewilderment.
Anybody thinks of the timing of the unrest? I mean could there be a darker side of killing competition via such moves?

Last edited by bblost : 13th October 2011 at 21:56. Reason: please use multi quote instead of back 2 back posts. Thanks.
Old 13th October 2011, 22:13   #59
BHPian

A-star is a wonderful car which has not succeeded due to it's high price. Maruti suzuki should decrease the price of A-star so that it compares to Eon. IIRC, A-Star has safety features such as ABS in it's top end model. That would be a worthy competitor to the Eon.
Old 13th October 2011, 22:27   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
No, not correct. Optra is at the fad end of its life, the price cuts happened at the end, whereas the eon is in the launch phase. Price drop matters depending on the brand, ask Honda with the City, a sought after model will sell more when it becomes affordable. The Optra was never in that terms.
Honda city was always a sought after car as you rightfully pointed out. The A-star on the other hand is totally opposite of that. Also just like optra its been in the market for some time enough to make a perception/image in most people's mind( although not as long).

Anyways lets see how the market responds first before what maruti does. Maruti as a brand in India is capable of doing crazy things with the kind of patronage it enjoys in our market. So I am going to be very cautious before predicting a downfall or a setback although personally I feel that hyundai products are way too better quality wise compared to maruti.

Most Viewed